/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "where are you from?"

Ummu Sufyaan
12-31-2008, 08:20 AM
:sl:
this probably is a really dense question :-[ but when people ask you "where are you from," do you/should you answer by telling them that you are from the country you reside in, or your ethnicity i.e where your parents are from:?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
12-31-2008, 08:23 AM
if my mother ask me this question in the house. I would answer that I came from my room, bathroom, kitchen, backyard, etc...:D

alcurad
12-31-2008, 08:37 AM
where you live plus the place the you grew up in.

Nawal89
12-31-2008, 11:22 AM
i'm mixed race so i tell them from whatever country depends on my mood. I can be from one country today and another tomorrow.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tilmeez
12-31-2008, 11:42 AM
I beleive Oring counts, in first place. While the place where an individual has brought up also has its marks when we analyse a person.

Answer to your question should be with either both or with desired.

S_87
12-31-2008, 12:24 PM
depends whos asking

crayon
12-31-2008, 12:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
depends whos asking
Yup, exactly. Each person has a different reason for asking, so my answer depends on what that reason is, so I can tell them what they want to know.

Or if they've got time I tell them the whole "my parents are so and so, i was born in so and so, i moved to so and so, then so and so, then so and so, etc.":coolious:

Al-Zaara
12-31-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm such a talker, I've probably told my life-story to people I've known for just two days, or less. That's how most of my friends became my friends. :D

Though even if it doesn't seem like it, I do strategically choose what to say, you shouldn't go very intimate with strangers. If you don't want to intimidate them of course.

But this is a random-pattern when I talk to a stranger about myself: "I live in Finland. *ooh! finland! any polar-bears there? haha* HAHA, nope, but I could count as a bear, haha *hehe (doesn't get my humour)* Umm, haha *but you're not finnish?* Njet, 'cause I moved to Finland when I was just a toddler... *why??* Well, 'cause of war. Kosovo, *oooh, Kosovo, the war with the Serbs* Yeaah, so I'm ethnically Albanian. *aah, ok* But also Turkish *aha?* Cuz my Dad is a Turk from kosovo *cool!* Mm, and my Mum has Turkish blood in her aswell, *interesting combination!* You think? I find it boring *Nooo*" and goes on and on...

Did I already mention I talk a lot?

Thinker
12-31-2008, 01:28 PM
You ‘are from’ the country named on your passport, to say otherwise would be hypocritical. Why - because the country giving you the passport contracts with you to protect you wherever you are, in taking that passport you should, in return, give that country your allegiance. If you owe your allegiance to another country, integrity demands that you hold the passport of that country.

crayon
12-31-2008, 01:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
You ‘are from’ the country named on your passport, to say otherwise would be hypocritical. Why - because the country giving you the passport contracts with you to protect you wherever you are, in taking that passport you should, in return, give that country your allegiance. If you owe your allegiance to another country, integrity demands that you hold the passport of that country.
And what of those who are citizens of several countries and hold several passports?

S_87
12-31-2008, 01:35 PM
some of us have more than one passport :p

sevgi
12-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Nationality: Australian

Ethnicity: Turkish

Ancestry: Abkhazian Ottomans

cihad
12-31-2008, 03:19 PM
this is totally a problem with me too, coz i so don't fit in anywhere.

Mysterious Uk
12-31-2008, 03:21 PM
When people ask me what country i'm from, i know they mean my ethnicity but just 2 b awkward i say i'm from this country and then they ask me where my parents are from lol.

The_Prince
12-31-2008, 03:52 PM
Born in Los angels, of Palestinian-Iranian origin, MUAHAHAHAHAH

Ummu Sufyaan
01-01-2009, 07:30 AM
some of us dont even have any lol :p

thanks for your replies though...

Zahida
01-01-2009, 11:21 AM
:sl: From Allah............................................. .. and to Him shall i return. Ameen.:w::D

Thinker
01-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Is that legal - why would you have more than one passport?

Al-Zaara
01-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Of course it's legal. Dual or multiple citizenship.

crayon
01-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Yes it is legal, many countries offer dual citizenship.
There are many reasons you could have more than 1 passport, you could be a naturalized citizen of a country, have parents from different countries, be born in a country that offers citizenship upon birth.. Loads of reasons.
Some people even have more than 2 passports.

doorster
01-01-2009, 11:49 AM
think less read and learn more!
UK Border Agency | Can I be a citizen of two countries?

Argamemnon
01-01-2009, 03:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
I'm such a talker, I've probably told my life-story to people I've known for just two days, or less. That's how most of my friends became my friends. :D

Though even if it doesn't seem like it, I do strategically choose what to say, you shouldn't go very intimate with strangers. If you don't want to intimidate them of course.

But this is a random-pattern when I talk to a stranger about myself: "I live in Finland. *ooh! finland! any polar-bears there? haha* HAHA, nope, but I could count as a bear, haha *hehe (doesn't get my humour)* Umm, haha *but you're not finnish?* Njet, 'cause I moved to Finland when I was just a toddler... *why??* Well, 'cause of war. Kosovo, *oooh, Kosovo, the war with the Serbs* Yeaah, so I'm ethnically Albanian. *aah, ok* But also Turkish *aha?* Cuz my Dad is a Turk from kosovo *cool!* Mm, and my Mum has Turkish blood in her aswell, *interesting combination!* You think? I find it boring *Nooo*" and goes on and on...

Did I already mention I talk a lot?
For a Fin, you certainly talk too much. I've heard that Finnish people don't like talking, and that they only talk when it's necessary? lol

Al-Zaara
01-01-2009, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
For a Fin, you certainly talk too much. I've heard that Finnish people don't like talking, and that they only talk when it's necessary? lol
I'm not a Fin by ethnicity, I'm an Albanian-Turk from Kosovo. :D You obviously didn't read my post, otherwise you'd seen I mentioned it there! Buuuusted! ;D

Nah, but seriously, it's true Fins aren't really talkative generally. Even when you get to know them really well... They don't talk much. But get them drunk, they'll never stop (until they pass out).

Ansariyah
01-01-2009, 04:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thinker
you ‘are from’ the country named on your passport, to say otherwise would be hypocritical. Why - because the country giving you the passport contracts with you to protect you wherever you are, in taking that passport you should, in return, give that country your allegiance. If you owe your allegiance to another country, integrity demands that you hold the passport of that country.
rofl:laugh:

themuffinman
01-01-2009, 10:26 PM
say the country my parents r from cuz im ashamed to be called american

Intisar
01-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Ethnicity: East African - Somali

Nationality: Canadian/American/British

When people ask me where I'm from I just say North America usually, and if they mean my ethnicity then I just say ''Somali''.

Yanal
01-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Depends on WHO asks you. Please clarify first post Jazakallah kayr.

Muzzy
01-01-2009, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't tell strangers at all. For example a stranger starts talking to me at school and asks where Are you from I'll reply I'm originally from the streets but now live at my brothers house. No I wouldn't tell a stranger because the next thing I know I'm a begged on the streets. It is a simple knowledge question that the teachers teach in Elementary School. Never talk to strangers even though they look cool to chill with.

Fishman
01-01-2009, 11:15 PM
When I get asked this, the conversation usually goes like this:
Guy: Where you from, brother?
Me: England.
Guy: No, no, I mean where you from?
Me: England.
Guy: Oh, you are new Muslim?
Me: Yeah, but I'm not really new anymore.
Guy: Subhanallah!
Me: Jazaakallah, Allah Hafiz...
:w:

BlissfullyJaded
01-01-2009, 11:21 PM

I usually say I'm from America. And if they ask again, I'm like yea, I was born here, raised here, never left this place 'cept on vacation. I only answer that way cuz they usually not all polite and kinda talk in a way that is like "go back to wherever you came from", so it's more fun to be vague and make them ask and ask... If they're friendly though, I say I was born here and then mention my ethnicity and whatever else they wanna know...

Ummu Sufyaan
01-02-2009, 07:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Depends on WHO asks you. Please clarify first post Jazakallah kayr.
why does it depend whos asking :? :confused:

S_87
01-02-2009, 10:06 AM
yup its legal and i have more than one because i was born in Central America-so that was my citizenship from there + same as dad
and moved to england when i was young and my mother was already a brit so citizenship from her.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.