/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ‘A’ for Arabic

islamirama
01-01-2009, 09:50 PM
‘A’ for Arabic
By Amber Shahid

SHAFI Ur Islam, a Bangladeshi watchman communicates in broken Arabic with Abdul Qudus, an Indonesian driver. Saudi Arabia, a global melting pot, is home to over 5.5 million expatriates from around the world. It’s the common thread of the Arabic language which binds them together here.

“I came here with a dream of a bright future but all that seems to have vanished now. I have a job experience of over 14 years in a managerial post and in spite of getting two job offers I couldn’t finalize any because of my language barrier,” said Ali Sakib from Pakistan, who came to Jeddah four months back in search of better career prospects.

“We choose salespersons who can communicate in Arabic with the customers, majority of whom are Arabic-speaking. It is very important for one to know Arabic while living in the Kingdom; good communication skills are synonymous with success,” said a manager of a cosmetic company.

According to the Encarta Encyclopedia, Arabic is the world’s second most spoken language and its users are estimated between 186 and 422 million plus as many as 246 million non-native speakers.

“Like other countries in the West, the Kingdom doesn’t have a very supportive atmosphere for learning the land’s language. In spite of being born and brought up here, I still haven’t been able to learn Arabic,” said Asim Arif, a Saudi-born Pakistani expatriate.

“It is troubling when I am not able to close a deal with a client. Surely, I would have done better if I could speak good Arabic,” he said.

Arif said that sometimes parents may hinder their child from mingling with children of other nationality thus preventing him from learning a new language.

Clearly, a prior knowledge of the local lingo can always help in a foreign land, but what if you are not equipped with the fundamentals of Arabic? Simple, learn the language. Ata Khan, an Indian businessman in Jeddah, said he is taking Arabic classes so that he can pep up his business. “Though my business runs well I am still not satisfied when it comes to dealing with Arab customers. Hence the need for the classes,” he said.

The Jeddah Dawah Center (JDC) hosts Arabic classes once a week for three hours. The duration of this course is three months and it is free of cost. “JDC is an authorized propagation center, supporting the community in achieving common goals such as education, especially with regard to Islam,” said Mohammed Aqil, JDC’s office supervisor. He said that most of the applicants for the course are Filipinos, followed by Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. Each session has 20 to 25 students.

Cultural Exchange Center (CXC) provides Arabic classes at different levels and for different requirements of commerce, medical, spoken Arabic and others.

The new session for 2009 will have a new setup and a revised fee structure, informed officials at the center.

“The duration is two months per level of the course, starting from the beginners’ level to the advanced level. CXC takes six to eight students per session. We receive registration from almost every nationality - from Europeans to Asians,” said Christopher John at CXC.

He noted that there is great enthusiasm for learning Arabic among foreigners. “We are flooded by their calls expressing interest in the courses,” he said.

Effat College gives Arabic tuitions for women and girls at their Extension Program Department. The course is divided into two levels. Each level runs for 16 weeks and for three hours a week. It costs SR1700.

“These courses aim to enhance the student’s communication skills so that she is able to survive in an environment where Arabic is the basic means of communication. It stresses the use of simple everyday Arabic regardless of its various dialects,” said Dr. Eman Mohammed, chairperson of Extension Programs Department.

She said many French, English, American, Malaysian, Dutch, and Pakistani students among others have registered for the courses. There is no specific criterion for the eligibility of students.

Effat College will soon start Arabic advanced level courses for students who already have a basic knowledge of the language. Students have to clear an entrance exam for enrollment.

The Jeddah Language Center and Future Centers also conduct frequent Arabic classes.

“Arabic is the universal language of Islam and lets us better understand the Qur’an. Also knowing the national language helps us to be a part of the Saudi society in a better way,” Akhil said.

He said knowing Arabic can help expatriates gain respectability in the society. “It also lends an amazing confidence to work in a foreign land,” he added.

Whatever may be the reasons to learn Arabic the bottom line remains that it is a well worth investment and its acquisition reaps benefits in multiple folds. – SG

http://saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentID=20081123227 63

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali.
01-03-2009, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Arabic is the world’s second most spoken language
Really? ^o) If so, I never knew that! I'm guessing the first is English according to that encyclopedia?

Whatsthepoint
01-03-2009, 05:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
Really? ^o) If so, I never knew that! I'm guessing the first is English according to that encyclopedia?
Mandarin.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-04-2009, 07:32 AM
thank you for bumping the threads up!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.