/* */

PDA

View Full Version : fasting..

Reema123
01-04-2009, 08:07 PM
:sl:

i have a coupla questions, hopefully approving this thread wont take too long as i would be grateful for any answers as soon as poss...

fasting in muharram.. how should this be done? like the fasts for ramadhan, wakin up at certain times etc..? the times would be of great help too. also how many days should i fast?

praying.. iv been bought up in a muslim family although my family aint exactly what you would call practising, iv been taught how to read quran but that is about it.. i would love to pray salah, this has been on my mind for a while now, i have a book which shows me exactly how to pray and also had a look at some online stuff.. im finding it quite difficult to memorise everythin but inshallah i will get there.. what i wanted to ask was can i begin praying now with help.. as in say having my laptop nearby and reading off there?? i really would love to pray and im getting quite impatient..

jazakallah khair..

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
01-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Wa Alaykum Assalaam,

Regarding Muharram - the basic concept behind the fast is the same as any other, i.e. waking up before Fajr (the morning prayer) time to eat and breaking fast at sunset. Fajr beginning time is currently around 6:30 am, so it would probably be good to wake up around 5:45-6.00 am and finish eating before 6:30 Insha'Allaah. Maghrib, the sunset prayer, is about 4:08 pm on Monday, so that is around the time to break your fast.

You can find out more about the fast of Muharram in this thread:
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...aashooraa.html

Masha'Allaah, it's excellent that you are eager to start praying. As prayer is such an important part of Islam, it's essential to get it sorted out as soon as possible. Start with the most important aspects of prayer like surah Al-Fatiha. I know that for a person unable to recite al-Fatiha at all or is unable to learn it, or he has just become Muslim and the time for prayer has come and there is not enough time for him to learn it, then he is given a way out by saying an alternative.

Also see:

Second: If you have not yet learned the manner and characteristics of performing the prayer (i.e. at least the movements and positions), appended to this message is a description from which you can learn. What is requried from you for the time being is to say in the beginning of the prayer and between each movement between positions "Allaahu ak-bar" (a glorification of Allaah). While standing, bowing, prostrating, and sitting, you should say "subhaan allaah wal-hamdu lillaah wa-laa ilaaha illallaahu wallaahu akbar." (Glory be to Allaah, and praise and thanks be to Allaah, and there is no god but Allaah, and Allaah is the most Exalted and Great.) Then conclude the prayer by turning your head to the right then left, each time saying "as-salaamu alaikum."

This way of performing salaat is permissible for you until you can learn and memorize what should be said in each movement and position of the salaat.
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/378/

It shouldn't be too hard to learn everything you need for prayer - keep trying and Allaah (swt) will help you.

:w:

Reema123
01-05-2009, 12:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Wa Alaykum Assalaam,

Regarding Muharram - the basic concept behind the fast is the same as any other, i.e. waking up before Fajr (the morning prayer) time to eat and breaking fast at sunset. Fajr beginning time is currently around 6:30 am, so it would probably be good to wake up around 5:45-6.00 am and finish eating before 6:30 Insha'Allaah. Maghrib, the sunset prayer, is about 4:08 pm on Monday, so that is around the time to break your fast.

You can find out more about the fast of Muharram in this thread:
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...aashooraa.html

Masha'Allaah, it's excellent that you are eager to start praying. As prayer is such an important part of Islam, it's essential to get it sorted out as soon as possible. Start with the most important aspects of prayer like surah Al-Fatiha. I know that for a person unable to recite al-Fatiha at all or is unable to learn it, or he has just become Muslim and the time for prayer has come and there is not enough time for him to learn it, then he is given a way out by saying an alternative.

Also see:

It shouldn't be too hard to learn everything you need for prayer - keep trying and Allaah (swt) will help you.

:w:

:sl: your post was of great help, jazakallah khair for takin time to reply..

another question i missed out in my first post, when exactly do i start fasting, dates etc..?

Olive
01-05-2009, 12:20 PM
'Ashurah is on Tuesday...

So you either fast on Monday and Tuesday or Tuesday and Wednesday. :)

Hope that's what you were looking for...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Reema123
01-05-2009, 12:23 PM
wow that was a quick reply, with the answer i was looking for :D so as iv missed todays, i guess i can fast tuesday and wednesday.. :D

Olive
01-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Yep, that's right - Tuesday and Wednesday. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.