/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How close should we follow the sunnah in this modern day age?

Tariqa
01-05-2009, 02:31 AM
What is it with this mentality.. The mentality where today the modern ways of life is out-dating the prophets sunnah's?

How close should we follow the sunnah..? When is it sunnah to follow the sunnah or just being "practical" to follow the modern day inovations..?

Examples:
Wearing the thobe or wearing modern pants and shirts..

the turban to work or being considered a Arab

eating modern foods or sticking to the foods of the sunnah

using modern supplies like toothpaste or the miswaq

Sandals or modern day "dress" shoes

Modern form of currency or back to gold and silver..

this is just a brief list to name a few..
some people when you tell them you would like to stick to the sunnah this close they would consider you extreme or outdated..

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-05-2009, 02:58 AM
:sl:

Examples:
Wearing the thobe or wearing modern pants and shirts..

the turban to work or being considered a Arab

eating modern foods or sticking to the foods of the sunnah

using modern supplies like toothpaste or the miswaq

Sandals or modern day "dress" shoes

Modern form of currency or back to gold and silver..
How do you any of these are considered Sunnahs (with the exception of miswak before salah)? Can you define Sunnah?

Vito
01-05-2009, 03:35 AM
I'm sure I've been told about it before but I don't seem to know about miswak. I looked it up and saw it came in paste form and in stick form. I'd love to buy some. Is it better to stick with the stick?

Vito
01-05-2009, 03:35 AM
(sorry to get off topic)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sur
01-05-2009, 03:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Sayyad

How do you any of these are considered Sunnahs (with the exception of miswak before salah)? Can you define Sunnah?
Though question was not directed to me , but i ask same question as OP.

& "Sunnah" is actions of Prophet Muhammad(s.a.w)??? I would like u to correct me if i am wrong.

u see "tableeghi" ppl wearing "weird looking" thobes/sandels & then travelling in cars.... WHY don't they use horses & camels instead....???

Prophet wore what was dress of commam man in thise days. So should we.

Prophet never made him prominent... while these men in thobes etc stand out in crowd so they actually go against sunnah. Once a person heard of fame of prophet & came to meat him with expectation that he would be sitting on a throne etc looking something like a king, & when he entered gathering where prophet was sitting he couldn't even figure who was that famous prophet amoung all sitting there.

Triumphant
01-05-2009, 03:45 AM
I have the same question as well. Does the miswaak replace the toothbrush altogether? I live in the United States are our public water is contaminated with fluoride. Fluoride is very toxic and dumbs people down. Its so hard to find a Non fluoride toothpaste because even if the toothpaste says non fluoride it still comes in aluminum packing which contaminates it yet again with fluoride.. So so miswaak unds like a great alternative...

Vito
01-05-2009, 03:50 AM
From what I understand, for the stick form, you take a piece of it and chew it until it gets soft. Then you brush your teeth with it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Tariqa
01-05-2009, 04:09 AM
asalamilikum rahmatuallah

i appreicate you all not misinterpeting what i am saying..

Yes the miswaq is a sunnah
Sunnah is anything comfirmed that the prophet did.
It is understood that if the prophet did it then it is either mustahabb to do it, obligitory or otherwise unless made specifically clear to do or not to do..

many scholars say that to even wear the hairstlye of the prophet or laugh when he laughs because he laughed or when he laughed is commendable.. It is an imitiation of the prophet in every form and action..

Though the man makes it clear that living in these times it is about customs..He mentions the understanding about the man that stands out in a crowd of jean wearing people wearing a thobe.. Though this is an exception what is better to do is what we are discussing...

We all know that in many places the water is contaminated...
FLouride has been linked to many diseases... The same tooth gear that is supposed to help is actually hurting..

One living in todays time may think that is is just a custom but if he looks again he may see that over 1400 years the prophet's sunnah stands confirmed today. Many scientist are now discovering the importance of miswaq over what we call scieintific advancements in modern days..

To answer some questions about the miswaq as a side topic..i can do this.. i think it is better to go with the stick form.. The miswaq completely replaces the toothbrush and the toothpaste.. As we know many toothbruses are made with pig parts so it would be better to avoid what causes doubt anyway..
It is a great alternitive indeed... a raw natural alternitive or even primaray way..

The sad part about adapting the modern customs is the sins attached to it in most cases.

many people in cultures wear tight pants which clearly goes agasint the sunnah..

some wear pants that are too low that pass beyond the anckels..
These types of "modern" dresses are not modern, they are pre islamic customs of ignorance.. muslims are not allowed to wear long revealing tight clothing no matter the custom..

it is best to not do this and find an alternitive..

Another thing is the sunnah to adapt the arabian cultures even if you live in america. Doing it because the prophet did it even if you stand out.. it is more than calling attention.. it could very well be a lifestyle or health concern..

Even driving cars.. The custom is to use insurance and take photos which clearly many scholars say is haram.. It may be best, though many would panic and say "well how will we go to work", to use horses and camels even in this day in age.. The sunnah holds truth in wisdom after all of these years.....

جوري
01-05-2009, 04:48 AM
I didn't want to get involved with this thread, as I am so sick of this guy.. but will leave this link, and advise, seek knowledge from ulema not charlatans..

:w:

Does the Sunnah govern people’s worldly affairs?
There is a sect which is no less dangerous than the sect which rejects the Sunnah altogether; they say, “We accept the Sunnah as a source of legislation for matters of worship, but when it comes to legislation or conduct in the matters of this world, we are not obliged to follow any part of the Sunnah in this regard,” and they cling to weak evidence, such as the incident of the pollination of the date-palm trees. How should we respond to them?

Praise be to Allaah.

The story of the pollination of the date-palm trees describes how, when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) migrated to Madeenah, he saw the people there pollinating the date-palm trees by hand, and he said to them, “If you do not do this, it should still be fine.” So they did not do it, and the crop failed, producing only bad dates. He passed by them and said, “What is wrong with your date-palms?” They said, “You told us such-and-such.” He said, “You know best about the affairs of your world.” (Reported by Muslim, 4358).

This report, if it indicates anything, indicates that with regard to worldly matters that have nothing to do with halaal and haraam or right and wrong, but are matters of trial and error, do not come under the mission of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) as the conveyor of the Message from His Lord. This hadeeth indicates that these matters are subject to trial and error. The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) set us a practical example to encourage us, in worldly matters that have nothing to do with legislation, to do our utmost to find out which way of dealing with them is best, to research and explore these matters, to analyze our findings and observations, and to do other things that would help us to develop and make progress in the fields of agriculture, industry, construction and so on. In matters on which sharee’ah is silent and did not give any specific ruling, we are permitted to act within the general guidelines of Islam, such as the principle of not causing or reciprocating harm, and so on.

There is a big difference between this incident and its implications, and the reports in which the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stated that things were halaal or haraam, or that something would lead to punishment or not, or that certain transactions are valid or not, and other worldly or religious matters, because these formed the main part of his mission, and Allaah has commanded us to obey the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in everything that he has conveyed from his Lord. (al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, 1/45).

Those who try to confine Islam only to rituals of worship, such as prayer, fasting and Hajj, and want to separate religion from other aspects of life such as the social, economic and political spheres, and say that these are human affairs in which people can do whatever they want and can legislate and govern however they wish – these people are kaafirs and wrongdoers who do not want to make the sharee’ah of Allaah prevail in people’s lives or to allow Islam to guide the people’s affairs, even though Allaah has revealed it to govern and control and regulate, and life cannot be properly run and people cannot be happy without it. Without Islamic rule, people are lost and confused in the darkness, as we see today in all those societies that are not ruled by the sharee’ah of Allaah. We ask Allaah to guide us and to open our eyes and help us to accept and follow Islam. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/1053/sunnah

on this note, I hope you'll close this thread.. Allah swt warns us of vain discourse especially with the ignorant!

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-05-2009, 04:52 AM

Sister Skye's post suffices. Thread closed.

Woodrow
01-05-2009, 05:04 AM
In the forum rules, rule 12 is very specific.

12.This is not a Fiqh discussion board. Prolonged threads arguing over Fatwas and the details of Islamic law will be closed. Avoid asking questions that require a Scholar or Shaykh, as there is no one on the board qualified to answer your questions. Please use other knowledgeable means such as a scholar, Imam or knowledgeable person in your area or provide sources.
This thread is coming very close to needing a specific ruling as to what is Sunnah and what is not Sunnah.

None of us on staff make any claim as to having sufficient knowledge to do so. We are a very basic forum and can only handle very basic simplistic questions.

Please consulate a Sheikh or a scholar for an answer to this. It is better to close this thread rather then risk spreading an erroneous message.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.