/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Get Whole Year of Sins Forgiven Inshallah!

Hamza Asadullah
01-05-2009, 11:07 PM
The Fast of ‘Ashura (The 10th of Muharram)

Note: The 9th of Muharram is tomorrow Tuesday the 6th of January and the 10th of Muahhram is on Wednesday the 7th of January and 11th Muharram is on the 8th of January inshallah!

For the UK Sehri and Iftar times are:

9th Muharram Sehri ends 6:08 Am and Iftar is at 16:07 pm
10th Muharram Sehri ends at 6:08Am and Iftar is at 16:08
11th Muharram Sehri ends at 6:07Am and Iftar is at 16:10

Mu’awiyah ibn Abu Sufyan (Radiyallahu 'anh) relates: I heard the Messenger of Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) say: "It is the day of ‘Ashura. Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) has not made fasting obligatory for you. But I am fasting. He who likes to observe fast among you should do so, and he who likes not to observe it (does not have to) observe it." [Sahih Muslim]

Abu Qatada (Radiyallahu 'anh) relates that the Holy Nabi (Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim) said that the fast on the 10th of Muharram atones for the sins of the preceding year. [Sahih Muslim]

Abu Huraira (Radiyallahu 'anh) reports that the Holy Nabi (Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim) said that after Ramadan, the fasts of Muharram have the greatest excellence. [Sahih Muslim]

Alhamdulillah, Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) has blessed us to see another year. The first month of this year is Muharram. In this month is an excellent day—the day of ‘Ashura—which falls on the 10th of Muharram(this wednesday the 7th of January). The Holy Nabi (Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim) recommended that we fast on this day, by his Sunnah. He also indicated how we should observe the fast of ‘Ashura.

Hakam ibn Al-Arat (Radiyallahu 'anh) relates: I went to Ibn Abbas (Radiyallahu 'anh)… I said to him: Tell me about fasting on ‘Ashura. He said, "When you seen the new moon of Muharram count the (days) and (begin to) observe fast on the 9th." I said to him: "Is it how the Holy Messenger of Allah (Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim) observed the fast?" He said, "Yes." [Sahih Muslim]

Hazrat Ibn Abbas (Radiyallahu 'anh) relates that when the Holy Nabi (Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim) said: "If I survive till next year, I will definitely observe fast on the 9th of Muharram (as well)." [Sahih Muslim]

(Note: What the Holy Nabi (Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim) meant was that he would also fast on the 9th as well as the 10th to which he was accustomed. We also should try fasting on the 9th and the 10th of Muharram.)

The Historical Significance of ‘Ashura

Hazrat Ibn Abbas (Radiyallahu 'anh) reports that the Holy Nabi (Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim) arrived in Madinah and found the Jews observing fast on the day of ‘Ashura… They said: "It is the day of great (significance) when Allah delivered Hazrat Musa ('Alaihis-Salaam) and his people and drowned Pharoah and his people, and Sayyidina Musa ('Alaihis-Salaam) observed fast out of gratitude. And we also observe it." The Holy Messenger of Allah (Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim) responded: "We have more right, and we have closer connection with Sayyidina Musa ('Alaihis-Salaam) than you have"; so Allah’s Messenger (Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim) observed fast (on the day of ‘Ashura) and gave us orders to observe it. [Sahih Bukhari and Muslim]

‘Ashura is a day of great historical significance. On this day: Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) accepted the repentance of Sayyidina Adam ('Alaihis-Salaam) after his exile from Paradise; Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) saved Sayyidina Nuh ('Alaihis-Salaam) and his companions in the ark; Allah extinguished the fire in which Sayyidina Ibrahim ('Alaihis-Salaam) was thrown by Nimrod; And Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) spoke directly to Sayyidina Musa ('Alaihis-Salaam) and gave him the Commandments. On this same 10th of Muharram, Sayyidina Ayyub ('Alaihis-Salaam) was restored to health (from leprosy); Sayyidina Yusuf ('Alaihis-Salaam) was reunited with his father Ya’qub ('Alaihis-Salaam); Sayyidina Yunus ('Alaihis-Salaam) was taken out from the belly of the fish; and the sea was divided as the nation of israel was delivered from captivity and Pharoah’s army was destroyed. ‘Ashura is also the day when the kingdom of Sulaiman ('Alaihis-Salaam) was restored; Sayyidina Isa ('Alaihis-Salaam) was raised to Jannah; and Sayyidina al- Imam Husayn (Radiyallahu 'anh) (the Holy Nabi’s, Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim, grandson) achieved the honor of Martyrdom.

Worship Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) as much as you can on ‘Ashura. Whoever fasts on this day is like one who fasts all his life. Whoever clothes a naked person Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) will release him from a painful punishment. He who visits a sick person, Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) will grant him a reward that will not be decreased. Whoever places his hand on an orphan’s head, or feeds a hungry person or gives water to a thirsty man, Allah will feed him a feast from Paradise and will quench his thirst with Salsabil (a wine that does not intoxicate). And who ever takes a Ghusl on this day will enjoy excellent health and freedom from sickness and indolence. Whoever provides generously for his family on this day, Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) will be generous to him throughout this year. And whoever applies Kuhl to his eyes will never suffer from eye-sore again, Insha’Allah al-Aziz

Please lets also pray for our brothers,sisters and children being massacred and dying in Palestine! They are in a desperate situation and they need our support,aid and dua's because dua's are readily accepted of a fasting person especially on these 2 blessed days!

Please donate as much as you can for the pleasure of Allah and to help our brothers sisters and children who are in a desperate and helpless situation to Ummah Welfare Trust on 01274390396 or www.uwt.org or Human Appeal 0161 225 0225 or www.Humanappeal.org.uk as Allah loves that one spends from that which he loves and Allah increases the sustanance of the person who gives much charity! Jazakallah

O’ Allah! Bless us to perform good deeds and gain their reward on ‘Ashura. Make the new year one of unity, cooperation and success for Muslims in this city and around the world. Ameen.

Source: http://www.ummah.net/Al_adaab/months/ashura.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
youngsister
01-06-2009, 11:26 AM
:sl:
Jazakallah kheir

Hamza Asadullah
01-06-2009, 07:19 PM
The Fast of the Day of Âshura (10th of Muharram which is tomorrow)

The 10th of Muharram is a significant day in Islâmic history. Rasulullâh Sallallâhu ‘alayhi wasallam used to fast on this day and commanded the Sahabah Radhi-Allâhu ‘anhum also to fast. The fast of this day was initially Wâjib (compulsory), but the compulsion was waived when the fasts of Ramadhân were made Fardh. The Muslims then had a choice to either fast on this day or not to fast. However, the virtues of this fast have been expounded in the Ahadeeth. Among these is the virtue that the previous year’s sins are forgiven.

Initially the Muslims only fasted on the 10th but before his demise, Rasulullâh Sallallâhu ‘alayhi wasallam mentioned that if he were alive the next year, he would fast on the 9th as well. Sadly, Rasulullâh Sallallâhu ‘alayhi wasallam did not live to see the following Muharram. It is therefore necessary for Muslims to fast on the 9th and 10th of Muharram or on the 10th and 11th. Because certain narrations mention that one should fast a day before Âshura and a day after, it is best for a Muslim to fast on the 9th, 10th and 11th of Muharram (three days). However, to fast on only the 10th is Makrooh Tanzihi (i.e. an act disliked by the Shari'ah).

The history of this fast stems from the time of Hadhrat Moosa Alayhis-Salâm. Because it was on the day of Âshura that Hadhrat Moosa Alayhis-Salâm and the Bani Isrâ’eel were saved from Fir’oun, Hadhrat Moosa Alayhis-Salâm fasted on this day to express his gratitude to Allâh Ta’âla. The Bani Isrâ’eel also did the same and the day was always regarded as a day of fasting among the Bani Isrâ’eel. Emulating this practice of the Jews, the Quraysh also fasted on this day. Rasulullah Sallallâhu 'alayhi wasallam also kept this fast (in Makkah). When Rasulullâh Sallallâhu ‘alayhi wasallam arrived in Madinah, he asked the Jews why they observed this fast. They informed him that they fasted because it was on this day that Allâh Ta’âla delivered them from the tyranny of Fir’oun. Rasulullâh Sallallâhu ‘alayhi wasallam said to them that the Muslims are closer to Hadhrat Moosa Alayhis-Salâm than they are. Therefore, Rasulullâh Sallallâhu ‘alayhi wasallam fasted on this day and instructed the Muslims to do so as well.

Although Rasulullâh Sallallâhu ‘alayhi wasallam initially preferred to do things according to the ways of the Ahlul Kitâb (Jews and Christians) to win them over to Islâm, Allâh Ta’âla later commanded him to oppose their ways. It was then that Rasulullâh Sallallâhu ‘alayhi wasallam announced that he would fast on the 9th as well if he lived until the next Muharram. It is because the Jews fast only on the 10th that the Shari'ah regards fasting on the 10th only as a Makrooh Tanzihi (disliked) act. Muslims ought to oppose their ways and fast on the 9th as well or 11th which is thursday.

aadil77
01-06-2009, 07:30 PM
JazakhAllah, I fasted today, isn't today the 10th of Muharam?

I'm kind of confused, I heard Islamically the next day starts after magrib, so is it the 10th right now?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
01-06-2009, 09:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
JazakhAllah, I fasted today, isn't today the 10th of Muharam?

I'm kind of confused, I heard Islamically the next day starts after magrib, so is it the 10th right now?
The majority view is that in the U.K the 10th of Muharram is tomorrow on Wednesday and today is the 9th so its still ok to fast today!

aadil77
01-06-2009, 09:19 PM
How do islamic dates work? when does the next day officially start?

IbnAbdulHakim
01-06-2009, 09:40 PM
jazakAllah khair

IslamicRevival
01-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Thank you for this!

I will fast Tomorrow and Thursday InshAllah.

May Allah SWT help the palestinians in this time of agony and suffering.

Ameen

Najm
01-06-2009, 09:58 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

I believe in Islam the night comes first, then the day follows. So on the sunset of Tuesday, Wednesday night beings. Night continues til dawn, and followed by the day!!

Hope i made sense:p

FiAmaaniAllah

Dua_e_Sehar
01-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Jazakallah khair..Hamza81

Indeed we shud try to fast the mentioned days...May ALlah (swt) reward us all....ameen

Plz lets not forget to pray for the people of Gaza....Thanks !!

Hamza Asadullah
01-07-2009, 08:25 AM
This should explain all in detail:

http://www.ummah.net/ildl/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.