/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Getting married to get green card etc..../

sur
01-07-2009, 02:09 AM
What's islamic point of view on marrying someone to get nationality of a country.?

Keep in mind that many of such marriages lead to happy families i.e., person is serious about marriage. While there r cases where person would seek excuses to get divorse after getting green card etc.

I read a Hadees saying something like "who migrated for marrying a woman he migrated for marrying her (i.e, not for Allah's cause....!!!!)" But case in my question is "Married for migration"

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
01-07-2009, 11:47 AM
:sl:
well how would you like to be used for "immigration purposes." ^o)

do you intend on staying with the sister after you have gotten what you wanted ^o)

sur
01-07-2009, 07:03 PM
it's not about me.... i'd rather stay poor than using a woman to achieve such a thing.
I asked islamic POV, not personal opinion.

S_87
01-07-2009, 08:09 PM
well if you marry someone just for migration its pretty sad because youre ruining both ur and the persons life. there has to be some attraction besides a green card or whatever. however the sad reality is some people do marry just for nationality.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
UmmSqueakster
01-07-2009, 08:22 PM

As someone who is married to an immigrant to the US who got his green card through marriage (alhamdulilah his purpose for immigration was to marry me and live here until we had the means to move back to a muslim country, not using me for a green card), and as someone who has seen one too many of her friends get married for green cards, let me just illustrate my personal feelings with a smiley :grumbling

There are good american women out there who marry muslim men, who become interested in Islam, possibly even convert, only to have their imans shattered when their husband leaves them and imports a younger, virgin bride from the home country. Again :grumbling

For the islamic view:

Marriage and Divorce to Obtain a Green Card

First, this is nothing but cheating and deception and it is not allowed in Islam. Muslims are not allowed to lie to anyone. Secondly, marriage is a very sacred relationship, and it should not be played with either by having a paper marriage without the intention of a real state of matrimony, or by having a paper divorce without the intention of divorce. If someone is so desperate to live in a certain place and there is no other way possible except through marriage, then one should have a real marriage but not a marriage on paper only.

Allah Almighty declares cheating as prohibited. This applies to any form of cheating, whether to individuals or government. Upon entering the States, you applied for visa. This application is a contract between you and the U.S. government. Being here in the States, you should respect the law and the constitution of the country.

To marry a woman just on papers without having a real intention to establish a family is really an evil deed. Such an act involves telling lies and cheat which are both Haram. Marriage, being a sacred institution, is to be shown due respect and never played with.
Marriage for the Sake of Obtaining Nationality
Faking Marriage and Divorce to Obtain a Green Card

Focusing more on your question, the eminent Muslim scholar, Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, states:

“Such marriage is not lawful. Nominal marriage that lacks the real sense of marriage is not permissible at all. In a symposium held at the European College in France, the attendants unanimously agreed that any marriage undertaken without any real intention of marriage is absolutely forbidden. This kind of marriage does not entail any right or duties. In Islam, the main foundation of marriage is set forth in Allah's saying: "He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (heats)." (Ar-Rum: 21)
finally, once more for good measure :grumbling

Zahida
01-07-2009, 08:39 PM
:sl: Shame on people who do things like that even think like that!!!!:w::smile:

~Taalibah~
01-07-2009, 09:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sur
What's islamic point of view on marrying someone to get nationality of a country.?
Dim, poor, baseless, really inconsiderate.

Ansariyah
01-07-2009, 09:10 PM
First of all..It's Haram cause u are cheating ur way into a country that u wud not have gotten into otherwise (the honest way). Secondly, whoever does it is breaking the law. And btw using that hadeeth just because it has the word "marriage" in it doesn't mean it's ok for u to sabotage it n use it in this immoral activity.

If u meant something else n I misunderstood pls clarify!
Fear Allah!

Pk_#2
01-07-2009, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zahida
Yeah astaghfirullah, imagine going through this, I duno if I could see marriage in the same way after experiencing something like that, you shouldn't mess with someones life like that, it can be very depressing I'm sure, My neighbour got married to this guy who had FOUR CHILDREN!! with her and left her saying he only wanted the green ticket. So cruel, she's gone a little ill now and her children are taken care of by her younger sister, it's really sad imsad

Musaafirah
01-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Well, basically from the hadith you can see that there is no benefit Islamically if you marry just for the sake of obtaining the green card.
Anyway, according to a hadith you're supposed to marry a woman according to 4 qualities:
Piety
Beauty
Wealth and
Family status.
It's best to marry for the piety and nowhere is it mentioned to marry her for the green card.

Triumphant
01-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Well my sister married a man that immigrated here because she was pregnant. He's a good man and they're still happily married. He's Mexican and my sister was half Mexican so he fit right into my family and had a lot in common with my older brothers. So I guess my sister got lucky...

More often than not the man is usually taking advantage of the woman and leaves her right after he gets his papers fixed.

sur
01-08-2009, 12:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zahida
Yah, shame on them & shame on ppl who marry "Mushriks" as well.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.