/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is spirit vinegar haram?

J3FR
01-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Salam

I am new so I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. Just want to know if spirit vinegar is haram, I know vinegar is halal but what avout spirit vinegar? I recently stopped consuming foods with spirit vinegar in the ingredients although my family continue to do so and say that I'm in the wrong.

Jazakum ullah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
doorster
01-11-2009, 03:16 PM
short answer: No

Long answer: click >> here

:w:

north_malaysian
01-13-2009, 09:23 AM
so anything that has the word "vinegar" is halal?

Because I'm so confused when people saying "wine vinegar"... why dont they just call it as "Grape Vinegar"...

doorster
01-13-2009, 08:35 PM
the lesson I was taught by people in this >> Is Harry Potter frowned upon? says to me to keep my gob shut (unless I want them all to follow me here) sorry!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Civilsed
01-13-2009, 09:19 PM
:sl:

http://www.islamawareness.net/Alcoho...inegar001.html

Also i think what should be noted in the hadith relating to the orphanage that asked the prophet (PBUH) once wine was made haraam, can we make it into vinigar and Mohammed (PBUH) replied in the negative.

It seems scholars still diffr about this.

Daffodil
01-14-2009, 12:10 AM
http://www.islam-qa.com/

Ruling on vinegar made from wine
Are wine and spirit vinegar halal? Considering all vinegar is made from oxidising a form of alcohol and that normal vinegar is supposed to be halal?

Praise be to Allaah.

Vinegar is a well known basic foodstuff, made from wine of which the composition has changed so that it is no longer sweet but is acidic or sour.

Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “What a good food is vinegar.” (Reported by Muslim, 3/1623)

When wine turns to vinegar by itself, without any deliberate treatment needed for it to be changed, it is permissible to eat, drink and handle it, according to the consensus of the scholars, because of the hadeeth quoted above.

But if the wine has become vinegar because of deliberate treatment, by adding vinegar, onions, salt etc., or by any other process, in this case the scholars (may Allaah have mercy on them) differ as to whether it is permissible.

The Shafi’is, Hanbalis and some of the Maalikis say that it is not permissible to deliberately change wine to vinegar because then it is not pure. The evidence (daleel) for this is the hadeeth of Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked whether wine could be changed to be used as vinegar. He said, ‘No.’” (Reported by Muslim).

Abu Talhah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked about some orphans who had inherited some wine. He said, “Pour it away.” He was asked, “Could they not make it into vinegar?” He said, “No.” (Reported by Muslim).

The reason for this is:

Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, has commanded us to avoid wine. Keeping it and treating it until it turns into vinegar means handling it and being involved with it by storing it and benefitting from it, and this is not permitted.

It is permitted for a Muslim to buy vinegar from someone who is selling it, unless he realizes or comes to know that it was produced by means of a deliberate process. ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “… There is nothing wrong with a man buying vinegar from the people of the Book, if they sell it, so long as he knows that they did not deliberately process it from wine.” (Al-Mughni, 8/330)

And Allaah knows best.

(Bidaayat al-Mujtahid li Ibn Rushd, 1/461; Kashshaaf al-Qinaa’ li’l-Bahwati, 1/187; Fath al-Qadeer li Ibn al-Hammaam, 8/166; al-Majmoo’ li’l-Nawawi, 1/225; al-Mughni li Ibn Qudaamah, 8/319).
Vinegar in which there is a percentage of alcohol
What is the ruling on selling live chickens by weight, and on selling vinegar in which there is 6% alcohol?

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly, it is permissible to buy chicken by weight. This is the basic principle and we do not know of any evidence (daleel) to the contrary.

Secondly, it was reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whatever intoxicates in large quantities, a small amount of it is haraam.” (Narrated by Ahmad in al-Musnad, 2/91, 167, 179; 3/343). If the vinegar would cause intoxication in large amounts, then a little of it is haraam, and it comes under the same ruling as wine. If a large amount of it does not cause intoxication, then there is no reason not to sell it, buy it or drink it.

rasheedahmed
06-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Assalam O Alaikum

Wine vinegar is not Halal according to scientific point of view plus by ahadith.

When red grape wine is converted to vinegar, only alcohol part of wine which any where from 6 to 12% is converted to acetic acid and water. Depend upon methods of manufacture not all wine converted to vinegar, so ther is left over of wine. The flavoring organic compounds and red color of wine remains as is, the acetobacter bacteria is only worked on alcohol content of wine. Since every component of wine is Haram then the left over of wine, the flavoring compounds, color, even water obtained through the fermenation of sugar of wine remains in the wine vinegar. These the reasons that all wine vinegar are not Halal.

Syed Rasheeduddin Ahmed
Muslim Consumer Groupfor Food Products USA
www.muslimconsumergroup.com

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.