/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Would Clones have souls?

Faisal Pervaiz
01-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Salaams

I was wondering if you were cloned, would your clone have a soul would he have the same soul as you, if this was true dosent alllah give everyone a unique soul?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Fishman
01-11-2009, 10:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faisal Pervaiz
Salaams

I was wondering if you were cloned, would your clone have a soul would he have the same soul as you, if this was true dosent alllah give everyone a unique soul?
:sl:
A clone is just another person that looks like you. You would have completely independent thoughts, feelings and personalities. In fact, you wouldn't even look like the other person since they would have gone through a completely different life.

Cloning isn't like in movies where somebody goes into a machine, some lights flash, and another version of him pops out of a tube. In real life its basically like having a child that only has one parent's genes.
:w:

Faisal Pervaiz
01-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Jazakallah

Triumphant
01-12-2009, 01:14 AM
People that clone are going to have the worst kind of punishment in the hereafter.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~Taalibah~
01-12-2009, 02:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Triumphant
People that clone are going to have the worst kind of punishment in the hereafter.
:sl:
I'm curious, could you elaborate on that, pls?

-Elle-
01-12-2009, 04:20 PM
:sl: bro

I posted the exact same question a while back...some of the answers were really good. Check it out if you want.

http://www.islamicboard.com/miscella...ave-souls.html

Wyatt
01-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Does this tie in with 'when does the soul enter the body' or 'when does life begin'?

According to what I believe, we may not even have souls- which would make both of those questions a lot more easier to answer.

However,
If cloners do have a punishment after death, then that means the clones would have souls, right? That means they've controlled a soul. Isn't it Allah's ultimate choice anyways? If he did not want the soul to go to that person, then he could just not give in a soul, thus..

If there were to be no soul and the clone was an illegitimate person, there would be no reason for a punishment, correct?

:X

aamirsaab
01-12-2009, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Podarok
However,
If cloners do have a punishment after death, then that means the clones would have souls, right? That means they've controlled a soul. Isn't it Allah's ultimate choice anyways? If he did not want the soul to go to that person, then he could just not give in a soul, thus..

If there were to be no soul and the clone was an illegitimate person, there would be no reason for a punishment, correct?

:X
Nope.
One reason for the punishment is that cloners are attempting to play God by cloning. Also, from what I have heard, cloning actually brings zero benefit since the dna ages at the same right of the thing cloned. E.g. say a 20 year old's dna is used to make a clone. That clone, when born, will have to 20 year old dna - the body won't be able to handle that (what with it being a new born) and probably will die (just like dolly the sheep)

One other thing I should mention is that, Islamically, the soul is given to the body by God - unless God blesses that cloned body with a soul, it's just a sack of meat and bones.

rpwelton
01-12-2009, 08:10 PM

However,
I believe you are correct. Whether or not a clone is successfully born is entirely dependent upon Allah. If Allah does not wish that person to be born, he/she will not be born. It's not like we humans suddenly can control when something is going to be created. Everything belongs to Allah.

Wyatt
01-12-2009, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Nope.
One reason for the punishment is that cloners are attempting to play God by cloning. Also, from what i have heard, cloning actually brings zero benefit since the dna ages at the same right of the thing cloned. E.g. say a 20 year old's dna is used to make a clone. That clone, when born, will have to 20 year old dna - the body won't be able to handle that (what with it being a new born) and probably will die (just like dolly the sheep)
I don't think the intent is entirely to play God. A lot of cloning is simply organs to replace sick organs to help people. This has been done, but it requires the stem cell to be used, which many consider to have 'life'. (If I'm not mistaken.) If it could save lives, especially if Allah does not even give the body or organ a soul, then I don't see anything wrong with it. (Not that I saw anything wrong with it in the first place.)

I guess it would be Allah's decision whether to place a soul there or not, but if it's for medicinal purposes, it shouldn't (to me) be that big of a deal.

Controversial.

rpwelton
01-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Ultimately this is knowledge that does not benefit. What humane purpose does cloning a person have anyways? Animals might be a different story. Allahu alim.

Wyatt
01-12-2009, 08:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton
Ultimately this is knowledge that does not benefit. What humane purpose does cloning a person have anyways? Animals might be a different story. Allahu alim.
I was just talking about its medicinal purposes, is that not humane?

rpwelton
01-12-2009, 08:33 PM
I was just talking about its medicinal purposes, is that not humane?
To clone a whole human? I understand cloning "parts" of a human (ie, a heart or lung), but not an entire living being.

EDIT: By the way, my post was not directed specifically at you, Podarok, but just the idea of cloning in Islam in general. Discussing whether or not a clone has a soul is really more of a moot point because there is no reason to clone a human being

Wyatt
01-12-2009, 08:51 PM
To clone a whole human? I understand cloning "parts" of a human (ie, a heart or lung), but not an entire living being.

EDIT: By the way, my post was not directed specifically at you, Podarok, but just the idea of cloning in Islam in general. Discussing whether or not a clone has a soul is really more of a moot point because there is no reason to clone a human being
Oh ok. :statisfie

Well, you could have an atheistic government that wanted to create an army of brainwashed humans to take over other countries. Seems absurd?

I could see North Korea looking into it. imsad

So I guess it can be useful, but it really depends on the cloners. :exhausted

rpwelton
01-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Oh ok. :statisfie

Well, you could have an atheistic government that wanted to create an army of brainwashed humans to take over other countries. Seems absurd?

I could see North Korea looking into it. imsad

So I guess it can be useful, but it really depends on the cloners. :exhausted
Oh, I truly believe that in the hands of someone sadistic it would be used. Ever see the movie "The Island"? There are many, many ways that clones can be used inhumanely.

Wyatt
01-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Oh, I truly believe that in the hands of someone sadistic it would be used. Ever see the movie "The Island"? There are many, many ways that clones can be used inhumanely.
No I haven't, but sounds interesting. I'd like to read some novels about clones, but talking about this would be getting off-subject. :rollseyes

JohnLocke
02-17-2023, 09:28 AM
Earlier in the thread someone said that clients will be punished in the hereafter. I haven’t found any evidence of this in my search, and your post shows that such a ruling would be contradictory in its nature, so I came to the conclusion that cloning is not haram.

Heres the paper I was reading:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7838753/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.