/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Israeli Democracy: Epic Fail

Fishman
01-12-2009, 07:52 PM
:sl:
Israel bans Arab parties from running in upcoming elections

Israel on Monday banned Arab political parties from running in next month's parliamentary elections, drawing accusations of racism by an Arab lawmaker who said he would challenge the decision in the country's Supreme Court.

The ruling by parliament's Central Election Committee reflected the heightened tensions between Israel's Jewish majority and Arab minority caused by Israel's offensive in the Gaza Strip. Israeli Arabs have held a series of demonstrations against the offensive.

Parliament spokesman Giora Pordes said the election committee voted overwhelmingly in favor of the motion, accusing the country's Arab parties of incitement, supporting terrorist groups and refusing to recognize Israel's right to exist. Arab lawmakers have traveled to countries listed among Israel's staunchest enemies, including Lebanon and Syria.

Advertisement
The 37-member committee is composed of representatives from Israel's major political parties. The measure was proposed by two ultranationalist parties but received widespread support.

The decision does not affect Arab lawmakers in predominantly Jewish parties or the country's communist party, which has a mixed list of Arab and Jewish candidates. Roughly one-fifth of Israel's 7 million citizens are Arabs. Israeli Arabs enjoy full citizenship rights, but have suffered from discrimination and poverty for decades.

Arab lawmakers Ahmed Tibi and Jamal Zahalka, political rivals who head the two Arab blocs in parliament, joined together in condemning Monday's decision.

"It was a political trial led by a group of Fascists and racists who are willing to see the Knesset without Arabs and want to see the country without Arabs," said Tibi.

Together, the Arab lists hold seven of the 120 seats in the Knesset, or parliament.

Tibi said he would appeal to the high court, while Zahalka said his party was still deciding how to proceed.

Pordes remarked that the last time a party was banned it was the late Rabbi Meir Kahane's Kach Party, a list from the 1980s that advocated the expulsion of Arabs from Israel.
http://haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1054867.html

Comments:
  • My very own Gaza thread! Now I can watch crazy people bashing each other and feel a warm glow of satisfaction knowing that it was all my own fault! :statisfie
  • If you are a lurker and want to read a thread without the usual ''OMG dem jewz r eeeeevil! Falesttteeeeeen!!!! :raging:'' comments, go here (CFC off-topic section).
  • Whilst this move is better than how Hamas butched the political opposition, this certainly puts down the old 'Israel is our friend because it is the only democracy in the middle east' argument. It shows that unlike supporting western countries, they willingly give in to their anger and throw away one of the few things about them that was better than their neighbours.
EDIT:
New info from BBC website. Apparently it wasn't all Arab parties but a specific two:
format_quote Originally Posted by BBC
Israel disqualifies Arab parties

Israel's election authorities have voted to ban two of the three main Arab political parties from running in next month's general elections.

The Central Election Committee (CEC)voted overwhelmingly to ban the United Arab List-Ta'al (UAL-Ta'al) and Balad, accusing them of supporting terrorism.

An MP for UAL-Ta'al said the move was racist and he would appeal against it.

Arabs make up about a fifth of Israel's population and hold seven of 120 seats in the Knesset, or parliament.

Israeli Arabs have full citizenship but often complain they suffer from discrimination.

'Election strategy'

The 30-member panel voted 26-3 with one abstention to disqualify Balad, and voted 21-3 with eight abstentions to disqualify UAL-Ta'al.

The committee is composed of representatives from Israel's major political parties.

The measure was proposed by the National Union and Israel Beiteinu, two ultra-nationalist parties.

The motion claimed the two Arab parties supported terrorism and "did not recognise Israel's existence as a Jewish and democratic state", Knesset spokesman Giora Pordis told the AFP news agency.

The Israeli high court has until Friday to rule on the decision - the deadline for submitting Knesset lists.

The Arab members of the committee walked out of the session before the vote was held, after a stormy debate about the Israeli military's operations in Gaza.

"This racist government want us out of the Knesset during the war on Gaza," Mr Tibi told the BBC's Fouad Abu-ghosh.

"They are accusing us of supporting the terror while they are killing children in Gaza," he added.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/7825032.stm
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Fishman
01-12-2009, 08:55 PM
:bump1:

Keltoi
01-12-2009, 09:29 PM
This really depends upon the decision of the Israeli Supreme Court. Lawmakers can vote and pass anything, but the real basis for constitutional law is the Supreme Court. I'm not aware of what the Israeli constitution states in terms of voting rights and democratic representation, so what that Supreme Court will decide I have no idea.

Whatsthepoint
01-12-2009, 09:42 PM
I am incredibly disappointed.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Keltoi
01-12-2009, 09:45 PM
I'll be disappointed if the Supreme Court upholds that vote. If they don't the system has done its job...depending upon the nature of the law, which I'm not familiar with. I assume there is a right to form political parties.

aamirsaab
01-13-2009, 12:41 PM
All hail Israel: Champions of democracy and justice (!)

Najm
01-13-2009, 01:45 PM

AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Yay!!! I wonder what happened With 1.5 million in Gaza and 2.5 million in the West Bank? Well lets see....

Hamas was chosen democratically to represent Palestinians in the 2006 Parliamentary elections. Hamas was able to secure for itself more than the minimum required 50% of seats in a 78%-turn-out-election that was described as fair and clean by observers.
As Guardian states...

"Democrats will rightly applaud the 78% turnout in Wednesday's elections to the Palestinian parliament, which were remarkably fair, free and peaceful. George Bush and Tony Blair, who set such store by promoting democracy in Iraq and (selectively) elsewhere in the Middle East, should be delighted. The only problem is the result: preliminary figures show a stunning victory for the Islamic Resistance Movement, Hamas"
All we should be saying is.....

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
FiAmaaniAllah

Suomipoika
01-13-2009, 05:22 PM
We ban parties that are unconstitutional (and rightfully so), but as long as they are rightwing racist parties, no one is particularly concerned or dissapointed. If the accusations are true, I dont see how any parties doing what these two are doing would not be banned in Finland or in quite a few other democratic countries. Refusing to recognice the country and collaborating with the enemy, not only they would be banned, we would probably see a death penalty for treason during wartime from most states.

If the accusations are true, the evil leftie nationalist in me doesnt see why they should not be banned.

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Hail Israel: Champions of democracy and justice (!)

Shouldnt we atleast see how the process ends before crucifying dem evil jews?

Keltoi
01-13-2009, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Suomipoika
We ban parties that are unconstitutional (and rightfully so), but as long as they are rightwing racist parties, no one is particularly concerned or dissapointed. If the accusations are true, I dont see how any parties doing what these two are doing would not be banned in Finland or in quite a few other democratic countries. Refusing to recognice the country and collaborating with the enemy, not only they would be banned, we would probably see a death penalty for treason during wartime from most states.

If the accusations are true, the evil leftie nationalist in me doesnt see why they should not be banned.
Good point. If these parties are indeed voicing an anti-Israeli platform then it is well within the right of the Israeli political system to bar their participation.

The_Prince
01-13-2009, 06:11 PM

dem evil jews killed up to 1000 people. most of them civillians.

Whatsthepoint
01-13-2009, 07:41 PM

Why don't they start with their right wing racist parties????
As weird as this may sound, this is much worse for me than what is happening in Gaza.:raging:
If they go about with the ban, and the supreme court doesn't uphold the decision, I'm gonna withdraw whatever support I have for Israel.

Keltoi
01-13-2009, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
As weird as this may sound, this is much worse for me than what is happening in Gaza.:raging:
If they do it, and the supreme court doesn0t uphold the decision, I'm gonna withdraw whatever support I have for Israel.
Right wing racist parties are a little different than an enemy of a country wishing to have political parties in the system. I understand your sentiments, but from what I understand of the parties wishing to be recognized as legitimate, they have platforms that deny the right of Israel to exist. Can you imagine the U.S. or the U.K. allowing such parties to join our political process? I don't think so. In the case of the U.S. at least, such a party would be barred in the blink of an eyelash. That is not a threat to democracy if those who wish to form political parties are against the system they are asking to join.

Najm
01-13-2009, 07:44 PM
If they do it, and the supreme court doesn0t uphold the decision, I'm gonna withdraw whatever support I have for Israel.
Peace...

Great!!!! Nice to know, your desires control you and your importance comes first :p

Whats-the-point?....

Withdraw!!!!:rollseyes

Peace!!!

Whatsthepoint
01-13-2009, 07:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Right wing racist parties are a little different than an enemy of a country wishing to have political parties in the system. I understand your sentiments, but from what I understand of the parties wishing to be recognized as legitimate, they have platforms that deny the right of Israel to exist. Can you imagine the U.S. or the U.K. allowing such parties to join our political process? I don't think so. In the case of the U.S. at least, such a party would be barred in the blink of an eyelash. That is not a threat to democracy if those who wish to form political parties are against the system they are asking to join.
Well, I'm kinda torn on the issue of non democratic parties contesting on democratic elections.
The article say, they want to ban Arab parties, not anti-Israeli parties.

Whatsthepoint
01-13-2009, 07:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm

Peace...

Great!!!! Nice to know, your desires control you and your importance comes first :p

Whats-the-point?....

Withdraw!!!!:rollseyes

Peace!!!
well, forgive me, I'm not a native English speaker and I was slightly angry with Israel so I may have chosen an inappropriate word.
what do you mean, desire and importance?

Zico
01-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Who said Isreal had democracy to begin with? LOL

Whatsthepoint
01-13-2009, 07:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zico
Who said Isreal had democracy to begin with? LOL
Let's not exaggerate. Israel is and will be a democratic country, as Keltoi stated, even the world's supreme democracy bans political parties from contesting. Anyway, if they do ban all Arab parties, regardless of their platform, you could say the democracy in Israel is deteriorating

Najm
01-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Let's not exaggerate. Israel is and will be a democratic country, as Keltoi stated, even the world's supreme democracy bans political parties from contesting. Anyway, if they do ban all Arab parties, regardless of their platform, you could say the democracy in Israel is deteriorating

Peace...

4th Post in a row!!! Are you sure, you are you?:blind:

JoKeS :p

Peace...

Fishman
01-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Refusing to recognice the country and collaborating with the enemy, not only they would be banned, we would probably see a death penalty for treason during wartime from most states.
Why don't they just ban the specific parties that they believe to collaborate with the enemy then, rather than imposing a blanket ban on all Arab parties? As the CFC thread states, some of the Arab parties don't make any statements more radical than simply opposing the idea of Israel being a Jewish state, but people take this as being against Israel's very existence.

Whatsthepoint
01-13-2009, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Why don't they just ban the specific parties that they believe to collaborate with the enemy then, rather than imposing a blanket ban on all Arab parties? As the CFC thread states, some of the Arab parties don't make any statements more radical than simply opposing the idea of Israel being a Jewish state, but people take this as being against Israel's very existence.
there are several severely anti-clerical parties in Israel, I'm not sure whether they're opposed to Israel being called a Jewish state though.

Suomipoika
01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BBC
Israel disqualifies Arab parties

Israel's election authorities have voted to ban two of the three main Arab political parties from running in next month's general elections.

The Central Election Committee (CEC)voted overwhelmingly to ban the United Arab List-Ta'al (UAL-Ta'al) and Balad, accusing them of supporting terrorism.

An MP for UAL-Ta'al said the move was racist and he would appeal against it.

Arabs make up about a fifth of Israel's population and hold seven of 120 seats in the Knesset, or parliament.

Israeli Arabs have full citizenship but often complain they suffer from discrimination.

'Election strategy'

The 30-member panel voted 26-3 with one abstention to disqualify Balad, and voted 21-3 with eight abstentions to disqualify UAL-Ta'al.

The committee is composed of representatives from Israel's major political parties.

The measure was proposed by the National Union and Israel Beiteinu, two ultra-nationalist parties.

The motion claimed the two Arab parties supported terrorism and "did not recognise Israel's existence as a Jewish and democratic state", Knesset spokesman Giora Pordis told the AFP news agency.

The Israeli high court has until Friday to rule on the decision - the deadline for submitting Knesset lists.

The Arab members of the committee walked out of the session before the vote was held, after a stormy debate about the Israeli military's operations in Gaza.

"This racist government want us out of the Knesset during the war on Gaza," Mr Tibi told the BBC's Fouad Abu-ghosh.

"They are accusing us of supporting the terror while they are killing children in Gaza," he added.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7825032.stm

Here is a BBC article according which not all Arab parties are banned, "just" two out of three.

Whatsthepoint
01-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Ok, that changes things.

Fishman
01-13-2009, 08:57 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7825032.stm

Here is a BBC article according which not all Arab parties are banned, "just" two out of three.
Okay, I've added that to the inital post.

Amadeus85
01-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Ok, that changes things.
It was rather obvious. The Arabs in Israel are politicly divided, You will find people closer to islamists and those who treat Israel as their home. Israel probably banned those who openly support Hamas, which isnt anything suprising.

sister herb
01-14-2009, 12:38 AM

As a popular party with Israel’s large Arab minority, the Balad Party has been seen as a prime mover behind the nation’s domestic antiwar movement. Though officials have repeatedly warned them that "there is a limit to democracy" in Israel, this opposition party never seems to have fully learned its lesson.

I understand that this demand of them as "transform the state of Israel into a democracy for all its citizens, irrespective of national or ethnic identity," must to be too much for "the only democracy of the Middle East".

:exhausted

Sounds terrific, right?

By the way; Avigdor Lieberman, a member of parliament and the chairman of the Israel Beiteinu party proposed at 13th of January at nuclear strike on Gaza as "solution" of problem with Hamas.

"We must continue to fight Hamas just like the United States did with the Japanese in World War II," Lieberman added.

His party is ok, right; when banned parties make demonstrations for peace? Just only wants to kill all population in Gaza for security of occupiers.

Great world we live.

aamirsaab
01-14-2009, 01:08 PM
I have nothing against jews. I have a big problem however with the Israeli government barging in and stealing all of palestine under some false pretense that it is safe haven given to them by God (which in Jewish theology cannot happen until the messiah arrives)

As for waiting for the process to end, I don't think you understand the predicament: 2 (of 3) arab political parties are banned from next months election. Handicapping a part is practically the same as rigging an election. It's a sham and Israel's government KNOWS it.

Like I said: I have no problem with jews. But I do have a big problem with the Israeli government.

Suomipoika
01-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Supreme Court revokes ban on Arab parties from national elections

Israel's Supreme court overruled on Wednesday a parliamentary panel which had decided to bar Israeli Arab parties from running in next month's parliamentary election.

The court issued its decision in response to an appeal filed by Arab politicians against the ban. A spokesman for the Courts Administration said judges overturned the ban in an unanimous vote Wednesday.

In response to the court decision, Israeli Arab MK Ahmed Tibi said: "We have defeated fascism, but this battle is not quite complete, discrimination has become centralized. We will finish this operation in Israel on the day of elections."

The Central Elections Committee (CEC) last week banned the Arab parties United Arab List-Ta'al and Balad from running in February's parliamentary elections amid accusations of racism from Arab MKs.

Arab faction delegates in the CEC walked out of the hall before the vote, shouting, "this is a fascist, racist state." As they walked out, CEC deputy chairman MK David Tal (Kadima) and the Arab delegates pushed each other and a Knesset guard had to intervene and separate them.

The CEC voted overwhelmingly in favor of the motions, accusing the country's Arab parties of incitement, supporting terrorist groups and refusing to recognize Israel's right to exist, against the background of Israel's offensive in the Gaza Strip.

The requests to ban the Arab parties were filed by two ultra right parties Yisrael Beiteinu and National Union-National Religious Party.

In response to the Supreme Court's decision, Yisrael Beitenu Chairman Avigdor Lieberman on Wednesday called the ruling "unfortunate, since no boundary was established to prevent the disloyalty of some of the Arab MKs toward the state of Israel."

Lieberman added that "[former chief justice] Aharon Barak once said that a democracy does not need to kill itself to prove its vitality. The court threw away this declaration and in fact gave the Arab parties license to kill the state of Israel as a Jewish democratic state," adding that his party will not back down. "In the next Knesset, we will pass a citizenship law that will prevent the disloyalty of some of Israel's Arabs," he said.

The new Meretz movement welcomed the court's decision in a statement, saying "we are happy that the Kahanism that has characterized that political establishment, including Kadima and Labor, hasn't reached the justice system," referring to the party of Meir Kahane, which was in fact banned from participating in parliamentary elections over its extreme right wing views.

"Kadima and Labor will have to do some deep soul searching over their populist, senseless decisions that sought to prevent the representation of Israel's Arab citizens in parliament," Meretz's statement said.

Sports, Culture and Science Minister Raleb Majadale, the only Israeli Arab minister serving in the Knesset, also welcomed the court's decision, saying that "the court didn't yield to extremism and racism. In a democratic society, it is fitting that all minorities will be represented in the government."

Last week, after the elections committee issued the ban on the Arab parties, Balad warned that if the court were to uphold the committee's decision, the party would call for a boycott of the elections and establish an alternative Arab parliament.

Muslim and Christian Arabs make up about 20 percent of Israel's 7.4 million citizens. There are 10 Arab lawmakers in the 120-seat Knesset.
And the Israeli system works.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1057497.html

sister herb
01-21-2009, 05:52 PM

Sure system works as like it worked in the South Africa in they apartheid times.

Why they haven´t lock out of elections also party whose leader is "Adolp" Lieberman who is russian, not "israeli"? He told best way to end rule of Palestinians is kill all of them; nuclear strike to Gaza, bombings to the West Bank.

In May 2006, Lieberman called for the killing of Arab members of Knesset who meet with members of the Hamas-led Palestinian Authority.

http://electronicintifada.net/bytopic/people/658.shtml

Nablus
01-21-2009, 08:01 PM
The state of Zionism = the state of discrimination.

Israel is acting against the Palestinians as Hetler had done with the jews

Whatsthepoint
01-21-2009, 08:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nablus
The state of Zionism = the state of discrimination.

Israel is acting against the Palestinians as Hetler had done with the jews
Eh...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.