/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Nurse

Donia
01-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Salaamu Alaikum!

I am pretty sure it is not haram to become a nurse as far as the profession itself. Is there anything in particular that should try to be avoided?

The big question I have is once you become a nurse, are you allowed to work at hospitals that have Christian religions in their names like Methodist, Baptist, etc.

I'm not sure if that means they're christian hospitals. I think not. I was told that was just where they got their initial funds from.

Jazakallah for any info/help.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Donia
01-15-2009, 10:41 PM
One more question..

Would we be allowed to go to these hospitals?

JazakAllah. :)

KittyKat
01-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalam,

I wish I knew the answer for you because I am also considering nursing.

Salaams,

-Kitty

Donia
01-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Wa alaikum asalaam rahmatullahi wa barakatu.

I would really like to know the answer. Nursing is one of the two careers I am considering inshallah.

By the way, the cat in your avatar is beautiful mashallah. Is it yours? :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eric H
01-16-2009, 02:09 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Donia;

Ok, I am a Christian male and my dentist for the last few years is a wonderful Muslim lady, somehow she has found a way to overcome a lot of problems. I would say she is a credit to Islam.

In the spirit of praying for a greater interfaith friendship

Eric

KittyKat
01-16-2009, 02:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Donia
Wa alaikum asalaam rahmatullahi wa barakatu.

I would really like to know the answer. Nursing is one of the two careers I am considering inshallah.

By the way, the cat in your avatar is beautiful mashallah. Is it yours? :D
No but I do have 3 of my own. ;)

glo
01-16-2009, 07:35 AM
Salaamu Alaikum!

I am pretty sure it is not haram to become a nurse as far as the profession itself. Is there anything in particular that should try to be avoided?

The big question I have is once you become a nurse, are you allowed to work at hospitals that have Christian religions in their names like Methodist, Baptist, etc.

I'm not sure if that means they're christian hospitals. I think not. I was told that was just where they got their initial funds from.

Jazakallah for any info/help.
I would check out the hospital, if I was you.

It may just be that the hospital has a history of being a 'Christian' one, but now only keeps the old name.
On the other hand you may find that it contains Christians symbols (i.e. crosses or statues of saints), that it has a chapel with weekly church services etc.

It really depends, so I would check out each hospital.

Most hospitals I know provide spiritual support to people from all faiths and none, and have access to spiritual leaders from other religions.
You will most likely find the same in those hospitals which you call 'Christian' - but if Christians symbols offend you, you may need to take care.

I hope this doesn't deter you from becoming a nurse.
You can always be selective in where you are prepared to work. The health service is crying out for nurses - and Muslim patients would be delighted to have a Muslimah nurse!!
:)

Peace

Donia
01-16-2009, 04:42 PM
JazakAllah for your responses.

KittyKat Wow! 3 cats mashallah. I bet they are like your babies. I would like to get a cat someday inshallah but I know how much work and responsibility it is so it's going to be awhile. :)

Eric H Thank you for sharing with me about your dentist. She seems like a wonderful person mashallah.

Glo From what I understood, most of the hospitals with the Christian names have just kept the name because that's who they were originally funded from. Is that what you were saying? I don't think they only accept people from the Christian faith. Wouldn't that be against the medical code or something?
I have seen a couple that have crosses on them (on the outside) as a symbol so there may be some other symbols inside too.
I have also seen one that didn't have any crosses or anything and didn't notice any inside either. Just seemed like a regular hospital so I guess I would just need to check them out (like you advised) and see where I feel comfortable.
I think hospitals that don't have Christian or religous names have chapels inside them also. Even if they don't have access to each different spiritual leaders, I think they have at least one person who is familiar with all religions and open if you should want to speak with them.
I still consider nursing to be one of my two choices in careers. There seems to be a lot of different work opportunities, not just limited to hospitals so that wouldn't be a problem inshallah.

Thank you for your advice. :)

KittyKat
01-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Oh yes Donia,

My mother is a nurse, she did not go to nursing school until her late 30's. But she's been a nurse now for almost 20 years. She specialized in Geriatrics and worked in nursing homes for the last 15 years. It's only recently that she decided to change up a bit, and went to work in a prison.

She said it became too hard for her to watch all her patients die in the nursing homes. Plus there, there are many sad stories. People use them as "dumping grounds" for their elders when they are too much trouble for them to look after and sadly some of their children never visit them anymore. It's very very sad.

She says that at the prison, she does not feel as bad because those people are not there to die, they have a chance at life, and (this is kinda funny) she doesn't feel bad sticking them for blood work etc, because they put themselves there so to speak.

I'm rambling, but my point is yes, there are so many different options out there! I'm actually considering Radiology. I could help people but still be "behind the glass" so to speak.

I hope this has helped you.

Allah bless you and keep you safe.

-Kitty

Donia
01-16-2009, 05:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KittyKat
Oh yes Donia,

My mother is a nurse, she did not go to nursing school until her late 30's. But she's been a nurse now for almost 20 years. She specialized in Geriatrics and worked in nursing homes for the last 15 years. It's only recently that she decided to change up a bit, and went to work in a prison.

She said it became too hard for her to watch all her patients die in the nursing homes. Plus there, there are many sad stories. People use them as "dumping grounds" for their elders when they are too much trouble for them to look after and sadly some of their children never visit them anymore. It's very very sad.

She says that at the prison, she does not feel as bad because those people are not there to die, they have a chance at life, and (this is kinda funny) she doesn't feel bad sticking them for blood work etc, because they put themselves there so to speak.

I'm rambling, but my point is yes, there are so many different options out there! I'm actually considering Radiology. I could help people but still be "behind the glass" so to speak.

I hope this has helped you.

Allah bless you and keep you safe.

-Kitty
Ameen to the dua.

I can understand how your mom feels. I have thought about the sadness that comes with being a nurse and that is one of the reasons why I'm debating between it and another career. Also because of the pressure. Don't want to mess up because that could be somebody's health! At the same time, I think once I get the schooling and training, I will feel a lot more confident and I also know that Allah's will shall be done regardless and I can only do the best I can. I've thought about being a pediatric nurse so I can only imagine how sad that can get at times but I'm sure there are some rewarding and heartwarming times also inshallah. Radiology is definitely a good idea too! Maybe even a school nurse. :)

May Allah guide us to a career that is beneficial for us in our deen and livelihood inshallah. Ameen.

glo
01-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Glo From what I understood, most of the hospitals with the Christian names have just kept the name because that's who they were originally funded from. Is that what you were saying? I don't think they only accept people from the Christian faith. Wouldn't that be against the medical code or something?
I cannot imagine for the life of me that any hospital would turn patience away on account of their faith, race, etc.
Like you said that would be unethical!

I think hospitals that don't have Christian or religous names have chapels inside them also. Even if they don't have access to each different spiritual leaders, I think they have at least one person who is familiar with all religions and open if you should want to speak with them.
I believe so too.
It is especially important for some people to have access to spiritual guidance and support, when they are ill or perhaps even dying.

I still consider nursing to be one of my two choices in careers. There seems to be a lot of different work opportunities, not just limited to hospitals so that wouldn't be a problem inshallah.
What is your second career choice?
I hope all works out well for you. :)

Donia
01-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Second choice is a teacher inshallah. :)

KittyKat
01-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Donia, are you my sister? I was just talking the other day about how I was considering Nursing or Teaching. But I am older than you I think and I'm afraid it's too late for more schooling. :)

Salaams!

Donia
01-16-2009, 08:56 PM
KittyKat

Sister, it is never to late! I know somebody who started college in their 40's and graduated in their 40's and is now a teacher mashallah. :)

LOL about us being sisters. We do have the nurse, teacher and cat thing in common. :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.