/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Elephants slowly going to die out

Yanal
01-17-2009, 12:47 AM
A count of elephant dung revealed a surprisingly large endangered elephant population — more than 600 — in Malaysia's biggest national park, researchers said Thursday.

The number of endangered Asian elephants had always been a mystery as researchers tried to visually count every one of the frequently shifting crowd in the dense jungle.
But the new method of counting dung piles came up with an estimate of 631 animals living in Taman Negara National Park, the New York-based Wildlife Conservation Society and Malaysia Department of Wildlife and National Parks said.
The survey showed Taman Negara to be "one of the great strongholds for Asian elephants in Southeast Asia," said Melvin Gumal, director of the Wildlife Conservation Society's conservation programs in Malaysia.
The protected rain forest jungle, known simply as the "Green Heart" by Malaysians, spans about 4,343 square kilometers (1,676 square miles) — roughly the size of Utah's Great Salt Lake.
The space is crucial. Asian elephants are endangered due to habitat loss and poaching; between 30,000 and 50,000 may remain in 13 Asian countries, according to the Wildlife Conservation Society.
"The surveys reveal the importance of Taman Negara in protecting wildlife especially those species that need large home ranges," Abdul Rasid Samsudin, the director general of Malaysia's Department of Wildlife and National Parks, said in a statement.
Before the new count, researchers thought the Taman Negara elephant population was substantial, Gumal said. But the old counting method was a problem.
"It is hard to estimate the number of elephants by just looking at them because the rain forest is very lush. The elephants will find you faster than you see them," Gumal said.
Counting dung piles has become an internationally recognized technique and has been endorsed by U.N. Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species, Gumal said.
The dung piles in Taman Negara were counted in 2006 and 2007.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
czgibson
01-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Greetings,

Now that's a job I wouldn't enjoy.

Good luck to the elephants. They are truly special creatures.

Peace

Orn
01-20-2009, 01:34 PM
THats a real shame, it saddens me to see this happening to the animal kingdom these great beasts are one of the beauties of this world and only shows how beautiful an animal Has Allah created(other than man)

aamirsaab
01-20-2009, 01:55 PM
:sl:
Source please.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MT2
01-20-2009, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
:sl:
Source please.
http://news.aol.com/article/dung-dea...ises-in/307668

Yanal
01-21-2009, 04:12 AM
JazakAllah I forgot to provide it. And didn't see this thread again now.

Vito
01-21-2009, 05:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtFTF2ii7U

Yanal
01-21-2009, 03:09 PM
What video is that?

Strzelecki
01-22-2009, 06:21 AM
That's awful.

Yanal
01-24-2009, 09:16 PM
There so gentle and kind, I wouldn't want that to happen.

Vito
01-24-2009, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
What video is that?
Its about elephant couples I guess, but the ending is the best :thumbs_up you should watch it

~Taalibah~
02-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I hate it when animals are pushed out of their habitat!:(

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.