/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Learning arabic before converting?

Ibrahim_K
01-17-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm pretty sure I want to convert to islam. I have read the Quran and I'm sure that this is a religion that would fit me very well and I subscribe to the five pillars of islam. So I've applied to begin to study arabic in february this year but I'm pretty sure that I want to convert as soon as possible.

Should I take some courses in arabic before converting? It doesn't seem like a very fun scenario being the only non-arabic speaker in the mosque.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Intisar
01-18-2009, 02:25 AM
*Thread approved*

You don't necessarily have to learn Arabic before becoming Muslim, you can revert and then begin to learn Arabic inshaa'Allaah. :)

Woodrow
01-18-2009, 02:35 AM
For myself I learned Arabic many years before reverting. To me it has proven to be a hardship. As I learned the Moroccan Dialect and now am having a difficult time learning to properly pronounce the Qur'anic Arabic.

north_malaysian
01-18-2009, 03:00 AM
you dont have to worry about that...

there are millions of Muslims that dont know Arabic...

in my country, many took crash course in Arabic before going to hajj... :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
01-18-2009, 04:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Azrael
I'm pretty sure I want to convert to islam. I have read the Quran and I'm sure that this is a religion that would fit me very well and I subscribe to the five pillars of islam. So I've applied to begin to study arabic in february this year but I'm pretty sure that I want to convert as soon as possible.

Should I take some courses in arabic before converting? It doesn't seem like a very fun scenario being the only non-arabic speaker in the mosque.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Asalaam wr wb, It is certainly not recommended to delay taking shahada for the reasons that you have stated because there is no problem at all for you to learn arabic once you have taken the shahada!
This is shaythan(devil) trying to make you delay taking shahada by giving you any excuse to do so!
Brother people in the masjid will welcome you in open arms and they will be very helpful to you in everyway so don't worry about being the only person who does not speak arabic in the masjid! Be proud and so happy that Allah has chosen you especially and guided you towards the truth that is Islam because he has seen something in you that he likes and he does not guide all people as he has stated in the Qur'an! He only guides who he wants and brother the gift of imaan(faith) is the most precious gift ANYONE can have in this universe and this gift he has given to you! We do not know when death will take us! We cannot guarantee that any of us will be alive for another second so brother do not waste anytime in taking the shahada!

So proudly say with full faith:

Ashadhu allaah ilaaha illallahu wa ash adhu annaa muhammadan abduuhuu wa rasuulu

I bear witness that there is NO one worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad(saw) is the slave and messenger of Allah!

If you need any help or assistance with anything at all then please do not hesitate to ask! Jazakallah

Dawud_uk
01-18-2009, 07:26 AM
no, you do not need to learn arabic before converting, after all how do you know you are going to live long enough to learn arabic before you die?

so say your shahadah now if you are convinced, then learn arabic later.

Wyatt
01-18-2009, 06:50 PM
I think it wouldn't be a problem to convert beforehand. Learning a language takes years and years, and Allah would probably want you more than your Arabic speaking ability. :)

Though, I think a good effort to learn it is essential. Especially if you convert, you will be able to make many friends at the mosque and they can teach you! :D

I'm learning Arabic before I decide on Islam, but I am a lot more undecided than you. (And, I just like to read the Qur'an.) I want to convert, but I must have every doubt in my mind eradicated first. Plus, the strength and knowledge to defend against all the prejudices in a very islamophobic world right now.

Good luck! You've found a wonderful religion!

KelleyD
01-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Aside from the usual language tapes, there is a fun way to learn if you have a computer and iTunes. There are several very user friendly free ipod podcasts that teach Arabic (both classical and colloquial) to new converts.

maron
01-21-2009, 09:40 PM
You don't necessarily have to learn Arabic before becoming Muslim,I know many muslim that don't speak arabic.

SeekersElite
09-07-2017, 07:56 AM
This not the case really. There are great masses of Muslim who can't speak Arabic including me (But I'm trying though). All you need is to be steadfast in practising the deen and make sure you don't give up.

This article might help: MUST YOU KNOW ISLAM to BE A GOOD MUSLIM?

Jazakallah Khairan Katheeran

Silas
09-07-2017, 05:19 PM
I am learning Farsi now, and even that is challenging for an English speaker.

I might attempt Arabic in a couple years

rozyred
09-10-2017, 07:29 AM
You can learn Arabic after you convert. There are so many of my friends who didn't know Arabic at all. But they started learning Arabic after their conversion. Don't worry what matters is your heart and intentions. So go ahead; Bismillah.

eesa the kiwi
09-10-2017, 10:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KelleyD
Aside from the usual language tapes, there is a fun way to learn if you have a computer and iTunes. There are several very user friendly free ipod podcasts that teach Arabic (both classical and colloquial) to new converts.
I know this an old post and the user is not likely to respond but does anyone know of similar pod casts

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.