/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Olmert announces Gaza ceasefire

Civilsed
01-17-2009, 11:51 PM
News Middle East

Olmert announces Gaza ceasefire

Israel's offensive has killed at least 400 children according to the UN AFP]

Ehud Olmert, Israel's prime minister, has announced a unilateral truce in the Gaza Strip.

Israel will halt its offensive in Gaza at 0000 GMT on Sunday but troops will remain in the enclave for the time being and will respond to Hamas fire, Olmert said on Saturday.

The announcement came after a meeting of Israel's security council on Saturday evening and halts the 22-day offensive which has left more than 1200 Palestinians dead, more than 400 of them children.

Mission accomplished

"We have reached all the goals of the war, and beyond," Olmert said.

"If our enemies decide to strike and want to carry on then the Israeli army will regard itself as free to respond with force," he added.

He said the war boosted Israel's deterrence and that Hamas's actions would decide when the military would withdraw.

"This operation strengthened the deterrence of the State of Israel in the face of all those who threaten us.

"If Hamas completely stops its attacks, we will judge at what moment we will leave the Gaza Strip," he said.

Hamas defiant

Hamas, however, said it would continue fighting in Gaza as long as Israeli troops remained in the Hamas-ruled Strip.

"If the Israeli military continues its existence in the Gaza Strip, that is a wide door for the resistance against the occupation forces," Osama Hamdan, a Hamas official in Lebanon told Al Jazeera.

Fawzi Barhum, a Hamas spokesman, said: "The Zionist enemy must stop all its aggression, completely withdraw from the Gaza Strip, lift the blockade, and open the crossings. We will not accept the presence of a single soldier in Gaza.

"The enemy's declaration of a unilateral ceasefire confirms that this is a unilateral war launched in one direction, from the enemy upon our people," Barhum, who is in Gaza, said in a statement.

Speaking at a forum in Beirut, Hamdan called on Arab leaders to stand by the Palestinian "resistance" and urged European nations to cut ties with Israel for its "crimes" in Gaza.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
01-18-2009, 03:36 AM
:sl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzygb...elated&search=

We will never forget, never forgive!

:bump1:

Hamas wants zionists out from Gaza

GO AWAY

OPEN BORDERS

STOP TO KILL PALESTINIANS!!!!

Is it too much to ask?

IslamicRevival
01-18-2009, 03:50 AM
Israeli firing phosphorous after ceasefire

Israel has shelled Gaza with white phosphorus after it called for a unilateral ceasefire, in an obvious violation of its own declaration.

A Press TV correspondent on the ground in Gaza reported the event soon after the ceasefire the ceasefire was supposedly in afffect.
Earlier today, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said that Tel Aviv will observe a 'unilateral ceasefire' at 2:00 a.m. local time (0000 GMT) after pounding Gaza non-stop for 22 consecutive days.

However, Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhum responded that, Israel must stop all its aggression, completely withdraw from the Gaza Strip, lift the blockade, and open the border crossings.

Hamas also declared that it will not accept the presence of a single Israeli soldier in Gaza.

Israel later said that the troops will not leave Gaza and failed to address the issue of open border crossings in its ceasefire declaration.

Around 1,200 Palestinians have been killed and nearly 6,000 others have been wounded in the beleaguered Gaza strip since December 27.

What Ceasefire?

sister herb
01-18-2009, 03:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Troubled Soul
What Ceasefire?
Good question.

imsad

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BNDGR
01-18-2009, 04:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Good question.

imsad
Asalam alaikum,
I was so excited to read about a possible cease fire, but now with reading on I am thinking is not one at all!!
I will keep the people in my prayers and continue to pray that Allah will help them!
It kills me to hear about the coldhearted things that are happening and where is the UN???? Where is there protection!

IslamicRevival
01-18-2009, 04:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Good question.

imsad
We are talking about an illegal israel which has violated more UN resolutions then any other country in the world

I didnt expect these terrorists to stop.

The israelis are the most compulsive liars on the planet.

Civilsed
01-18-2009, 09:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Troubled Soul
We are talking about an illegal israel which has violated more UN resolutions then any other country in the world

I didnt expect these terrorists to stop.

The israelis are the most compulsive liars on the planet.

• Exactly
, Like it has already been mentioned the Zionist (war mongers) must leave Gaza. WE WILL NEVER FORGIVE NOT FORGET :enough!:

I think now we should put pressure on the UN exposed its failures.
The UN in its current state is a jokes... This must NEVER be allowed to happen again.

aadil77
01-18-2009, 09:04 AM
what? does he expect hamas to just automatically stop after butchering ****loads of palestinians?

aadil77
01-18-2009, 09:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Civilsed

• Exactly
, Like it has already been mentioned the Zionist (war mongers) must leave Gaza. WE WILL NEVER FORGIVE NOT FORGET :enough!:

I think now we should put pressure on the UN exposed its failures.
The UN in its current state is a jokes... This must NEVER be allowed to happen again.
'NEVER be allowed to happen again'? Mate as long as America is around Israel can do what ever they want to us muslims, the UN can't do ****, even after their own buildings were bombed

Civilsed
01-18-2009, 09:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
'NEVER be allowed to happen again'? Mate as long as America is around Israel can do what ever they want to us muslims, the UN can't do ****, even after their own buildings were bombed

Mate like i said this must never be allowed to happen agian. America or no america. I know what you are saying but if we just accept this fact we will alway be under their thumbs. Efforts need to be made whether in vain or not WE cannot accept it.

If or When this happens again (although still going on - Ceasefire my foot) at least we tried to do something and not just feel complete Anger and dispair.

:w:

Ummu Sufyaan
01-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Israel will halt its offensive in Gaza at 0000 GMT on Sunday but troops will remain in the enclave for the time being and will respond to Hamas fire, Olmert said on Saturday.
how is that any different to what they were doing before :rollseyes

Mission accomplished
so, what are they still doing there then :-\ :S

"We have reached all the goals of the war, and beyond," Olmert said."If our enemies decide to strike and want to carry on then the Israeli army will regard itself as free to respond with force," he added.
i "love" his "macho" talks...you can see right through that its just "hot air"

aadil77
01-18-2009, 11:31 AM

Mate like i said this must never be allowed to happen agian. America or no america. I know what you are saying but if we just accept this fact we will alway be under their thumbs. Efforts need to be made whether in vain or not WE cannot accept it.

If or When this happens again (although still going on - Ceasefire my foot) at least we tried to do something and not just feel complete Anger and dispair.

:w:
Efforts such as putting pressure on the UN are pathetic, we are muslims look at our history, we've never won conflicts by sucking up to kuffar organisations, Jihad is the only way against this kind of oppression

Civilsed
01-18-2009, 11:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed

how is that any different to what they were doing before :rollseyes

No Difference, Its a propaganga game they are playing

so, what are they still doing there then :-\ :S

exactly, Again Propaganda

i "love" his "macho" talks...you can see right through that its just "hot air"
all this is, is him trying to show the israeli people he is a strong leader to cover up the shame of their defeat in Lebanon. Again Propaganda.

And the western media report this propaganda as usual :exhausted

Civilsed
01-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Efforts such as putting pressure on the UN are pathetic, we are muslims look at our history, we've never won conflicts by sucking up to kuffar organisations, Jihad is the only way against this kind of oppression

Who talking about sucking up. I am saying put presssure and demand reforms. If Arab and so called Muslim Coutries stay with the UN then the vote must count. Not America veto's everything that is a dictatorship on their part, otherwise They should leave the UN. All i am saying is that we cant say oh its over and sit back until it happens again. Thats what happened after Lebanon. We got angry for a while then sat back... This cannot happen again.

We need need to be active in trying to prevent this happening again... As we ALL know it will.

Jihad comes in many forms and the Stuggles we face in what i have mentions will also be our Jihad. Although i agree with your point on Jihad..

Trumble
01-18-2009, 11:57 AM
what? does he expect hamas to just automatically stop after butchering ****loads of palestinians?
I expect he does, at least as far as that is the only rational reaction for Hamas. Sadly, I don't think they are rational.. otherwise they would never have fired those bl**dy rockets in the first place.

To put it bluntly any damage Hamas may do to Israel is dwarfed by the damage Israel can/will do to them in return. The only result is more butchering of civilians purely for the purpose of making some sort of gesture. Is that a price worth paying? There will be no 'Jihad', at least in any effective sense, and even if there were the consequence would only be a repeat of what we have seen on a far larger scale. That is not an option. The only option is to sit down, talk and agree a realistic settlement. The only realistic settlement is a two-state solution. Anything else is not only a fantasy, it is a very dangerous fantasy likely to get hundreds of thousands of people killed in achieving, at best, control of country-sized radioactive slag-heap.

crayon
01-18-2009, 12:03 PM
"Troops would remain in Gaza for the time being and if Hamas held fire, the military would "consider pulling out of Gaza at a time that befits us"." (from the bbc link to this news)

Occ-
occ-
occ-
-upation!
:thumbs_up

aadil77
01-18-2009, 12:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
I expect he does, at least as far as that is the only rational reaction for Hamas. Sadly, I don't think they are rational.. otherwise they would never have fired those bl**dy rockets in the first place.

To put it bluntly any damage Hamas may do to Israel is dwarfed by the damage Israel can/will do to them in return. The only result is more butchering of civilians purely for the purpose of making some sort of gesture. Is that a price worth paying? There will be no 'Jihad', at least in any effective sense, and even if there were the consequence would only be a repeat of what we have seen on a far larger scale. That is not an option. The only option is to sit down, talk and agree a realistic settlement. The only realistic settlement is a two-state solution. Anything else is not only a fantasy, it is a very dangerous fantasy likely to get hundreds of thousands of people killed in achieving, at best, control of country-sized radioactive slag-heap.
For now I don't think it'll work. Israel have taken it this far, what is gonna stop hamas from continuing? unless they run out of ammo or die from starvation, if they manage to prevent weapons smuggling. Whats gonna stop Israel, its clear they haven't achieved their 'obejectives', seeing as rockets were sent over right after the self-declared ceasefire had begun

Banu_Hashim
01-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Israel say they want a two state solution, but they won't let the Palestinians prosper due to the blockade and control on Gaza as as well as much of the West Bank. This is the hypocrisy of the Jewish state.

Civilsed
01-18-2009, 12:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Israel say they want a two state solution, but they won't let the Palestinians prosper due to the blockade and control on Gaza as as well as much of the West Bank. This is the hypocrisy of the Jewish state.

They dont want a 2 state solution its all lies. Their ambition expand and their actions are clear for all to see. They will talk about a 2 state solution to the US and media but this is just to give themselve time.

Azy
01-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Since it was founded with the aim of destroying Israel altogether, what would Hamas do with itself if a truce was negotiated?

Civilsed
01-18-2009, 12:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Azy
Since it was founded with the aim of destroying Israel altogether, what would Hamas do with itself if a truce was negotiated?

Since it was founded with the aim of destrying Palestine altogether, What you Israel do with Itself if a truce was negotieted?? :D

Trumble
01-18-2009, 12:43 PM
They dont want a 2 state solution its all lies. Their ambition expand and their actions are clear for all to see. They will talk about a 2 state solution to the US and media but this is just to give themselve time.
Had that really been their ambition they would have just sat tight on the conquered territories after the 1967 war.

Civilsed
01-18-2009, 12:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Had that really been their ambition they would have just sat tight on the conquered territories after the 1967 war.
Exactly but they have expanded further than 1967 and are invited more Jews from the US and europe to live in Israel.

Azy
01-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Since it was founded with the aim of destrying Palestine altogether, What you Israel do with Itself if a truce was negotieted?? :D
Israel was legally created by the UN from part of the Turkish Empire after it declared war on the Allies in WWI.

Israel may now be the aggressor, but it's not fair to say it started that way.

Israel only took part of Palestine in 67 because of a war caused by the Arab nations to destroy it. The Arabs are not innocent in any of this.

Civilsed
01-18-2009, 12:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Azy
Israel was legally created by the UN from part of the Turkish Empire after it declared war on the Allies in WWI.

Israel may now be the aggressor, but it's not fair to say it started that way.

Israel only took part of Palestine in 67 because of a war caused by the Arab nations to destroy it. The Arabs are not innocent in any of this.
Exactly 1 party gives the second party land that beloged to a third party. UN had no right to give this land. It did not belong to Britain nor the UN.

Israeli (Zionist) start a terror campaign from day one (check the history) the bomb the Brits and terrorised the locals nightly until they had to moved of died.

Arab nations raise against the Terror if you like an earlier War on Terror, Israel did not only take part Israel was the casue

Azy
01-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Exactly 1 party gives the second party land that beloged to a third party. UN had no right to give this land. It did not belong to Britain nor the UN.
Who exactly does have control when they've been conquered during war?
Are you planning on reforming the Babylonian empire?

Israeli (Zionist) start a terror campaign from day one (check the history) the bomb the Brits and terrorised the locals nightly until they had to moved of died.
Jews were committing acts of terror before the creation of Israel, that's true but that doesn't really have anything to do with Israel itself. The Jews wanted the end of British control of the Middle East, just like the Arabs did.
After the formation of Israel the UN entered and disarmed the Jewish militants, and the attacks stopped.

May 14th - Israel formed
May 15th - Several Arab nations invade Israel
Arab nations raise against the Terror if you like an earlier War on Terror, Israel did not only take part Israel was the casue
The Arabs rose up just like the Jews. They were blowing things up and attacking Jewish settlements in the 30s.

sister herb
01-18-2009, 07:19 PM

Who would make peace with zionists now? Abbas term as president ended at 9th of January.

Minister of justice: Ex-PA chief no longer represents the Palestinians

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ 18/01/2009 - 05:25 PM ]

GAZA, (PIC)-- Minister of justice Mohamed Al-Ghoul stated that any actions, decisions or obligations made by former PA chief Mahmoud Abbas, whose term of office had expired on 9/1/2009, do not oblige the Palestinian people.

In a press release received by the PIC, Ghoul explained that the Palestinian basic law stipulates in article no. 36 that the presidential term of office is only four years and accordingly Abbas is no longer entitled to represent the Palestinian people or sign agreements on their behalf even by declaring himself a president of Palestine.

The minister of justice underlined that the government of national unity headed by Ismail Haneyya is the only legitimate and legal government that represents the Palestinian people according to the basic law and any other side has no right to usurp this jurisdiction from the legitimate government.

He asked the international community especially the Islamic and Arab countries and all official and unofficial bodies to deal only with the constitutional Palestinian government headed by premier Haneyya.

Ghoul also stressed the need to interrogate and prosecute Abbas in a Palestinian court for committing hundreds of "terrible crimes"
and conspiring against the Palestinian people and resistance in full coordination with the Israeli occupation, and for waiving the Palestinian national rights and constants.
The minister highlighted that the Palestinian rights are unchanging and inalienable, and does not end by prescription, calling on the Palestinian people to be united around the resistance and respect the Palestinian law in order to serve the higher national interests.

http://www.palestine-info.co.uk/en/d...oDx03HpxLLk%3d

Article 36

The term of the presidency of the National Authority shall be the interim phase, after which the President shall be elected in accordance with the law.

Article 37
The office of the President shall be considered vacant in any of the following cases:
a. Death;
b. Resignation submitted to the Palestinian Legislative Council, if accepted by two-thirds of its members;

c. Loss of legal capacity, as per a ruling issued by the High Constitutional Court and subsequently approved by a majority of two-thirds of the members of the Legislative Council.

If the office of the President of the National Authority becomes vacant due to any of the above cases, the Speaker of the Palestinian Legislative Council shall temporarily assume the powers and duties of the Presidency of the National Authority for a period not to exceed sixty (60) days, during which free and direct elections to elect a new President shall take place in accordance with the Palestinian Election Law.
http://www.palestinianbasiclaw.org/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.