/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pride

Questfortruth
01-18-2009, 11:32 PM
:sl:

What type of pride is forbidden in Islam? If I were to think I look good today but ofcourse not like I am better looking then everyone else. I just think I look good does that mean I have pride in myself? Or if i were to memorize a verse and I am proud and take pride in it. But dont brag about it or tell anyone just happy within myself. I honesly, think I know the answer just double checking.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali.
01-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Pride is good!

A definition of pride:
a feeling of self-respect and personal worth.

Arrogance, however, is what you must watch out for, a definition of arrogance:
Having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

Arrogance can sometimes be thought of as overexaggerated pride, but there is a difference between pride and arrogance, pride is the opposite of looking down at yourself constantly I think.

To think that 'you look good today' isn't arrogant or overexaggerated pridesome. What would be, though, is thinking or saying "I look way better than that *insert nasty noun* over there. Ha! Look at that hair, it looks like it's just been run over."
Yes I know terrible example of name calling.
But do you understand my point? Don't think of yourself as higher than another person and that person A doesn't deserve as much respect as person B just because of something, that is arrogance.

Questfortruth
01-19-2009, 06:58 PM
I heard a person will end up in hell if he has pride as small as mustard seed in his heart. I can understand I should be proud of my accomplishment. As long as I don't think I am better then everyone else.

Pride:
1. a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc

2. the state or feeling of being proud.

3. a becoming or dignified sense of what is due to oneself or one's position or character; self-respect; self-esteem.

4. pleasure or satisfaction taken in something done by or belonging to oneself or believed to reflect credit upon oneself

Arrogance:

Arrogance or arrogant may refer to:

Excessive Pride

ofcourse, Alhumd'illah I do not think I am superior to anyone else. I think everyone is unique in their own way. So I would be 2 or 4 as long as I keep myself away from 1.
Thank you for your response.

Abu AbdulRahman
01-19-2009, 07:01 PM
the prophet says: "Allah is beautiful, and He like the beauty, and He wants to see his donation on His slaves"

"إن الله جميل يحب الجمال ، ويحب أن يرى أثر نعمته على عبده"

so we must be beautiful, we must look in nice view

but the pride means to be beautiful, and look to the others with loathing, and if I have more than what I need, I must give the others some of what I have

If I am rich, I will build a big house for my self, and I will pay an expensive car, but when some poor people come to visit me in my house, I will open the gate for them and I will give them my food to eat.. if they are dirty, and their clothes may smudge the sofa, I mustn't be angery, even if the spots will not be gone

if I have a car, it is pride if I pass behind some walking people without stopping and ride them

why was Qaroon punished the way that we know? because he had a lot of money, and he collect his money to show it to people.. they saw the money and they was poor.. they couldn't even touch it.. all what Qaroon wanted was to make them defeated

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Questfortruth
01-19-2009, 07:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu AbdulRahman
the prophet says: "Allah is beautiful, and He like the beauty, and He wants to see his donation on His slaves"

"إن الله جميل يحب الجمال ، ويحب أن يرى أثر نعمته على عبده"

so we must be beautiful, we must look in nice view

but the pride means to be beautiful, and look to the others with loathing, and if I have more than what I need, I must give the others some of what I have

If I am rich, I will build a big house for my self, and I will pay an expensive car, but when some poor people come to visit me in my house, I will open the gate for them and I will give them my food to eat.. if they are dirty, and their clothes may smudge the sofa, I mustn't be angery, even if the spots will not be gone

if I have a car, it is pride if I pass behind some walking people without stopping and ride them

why was Qaroon punished the way that we know? because he had a lot of money, and he collect his money to show it to people.. they saw the money and they was poor.. they couldn't even touch it.. all what Qaroon wanted was to make them defeated
:sl:
Great response thank you brother.

Zahida
01-19-2009, 08:05 PM
:sl: Thankyou brothers for that there is definately a strong difference in pride and arrogance although they can be interpreted to mean the same............

Allah sees all and knows all............. Ameen.:w::D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.