PDA

View Full Version : Muslims in South Africa.



ardianto
01-21-2009, 03:38 PM
My aunt and her husband are living in Cape Town, South Africa.
She told me, there are 800.000 Muslims in South Africa. Is it Right ?
And who are they (South Africa Muslims) ?, Black Africans or Malays/Indians ?.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Soulja Girl
01-21-2009, 04:31 PM
:sl:

^Well, Idk how many Muslims they are living in South Africa... But I do know that many of them are Indians... :hmm:

:w:
Reply

Faseeha
01-21-2009, 05:53 PM
:sl:

I'm from south Africa, I'm not sure of the total amount of muslims living here but we are quite spread out with muslims from all nationalities, mostly indians, alot of black muslims and malays as well
Reply

north_malaysian
01-22-2009, 02:38 AM
I've heard that there are many Cape Malays there....
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
BintAbee
01-22-2009, 02:29 PM
:sl:

I dunno how many muslims there are here but there are black, indian and malay muslims. there are also a few white muslims. the malays are more in cape town and the indians are in durban and johannesburg. i think islam was brought to south africa by the malays and then after some years muslims from india began coming in especially into durban.

:w:
Reply

ardianto
01-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Thank you very much, brother, sister.

I had read on some articles and I watched on TV, Muslims in South Africa is Malays and Indians. However, few years ago I saw a picture of a group of Black Muslims in ..... I dont remember, maybe Cape Town or maybe Johanesburg. But I'm sure that is in South Africa.

A month ago, my aunt came to my home. I asked her "Is there Muslims in South Africa " and she told me " Yes. Eight hundred thousand Muslim are living in South Africa ". But I'm not sure about that.
Reply

north_malaysian
01-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Thank you very much, brother, sister.

I had read on some articles and I watched on TV, Muslims in South Africa is Malays and Indians. However, few years ago I saw a picture of a group of Black Muslims in ..... I dont remember, maybe Cape Town or maybe Johanesburg. But I'm sure that is in South Africa.

A month ago, my aunt came to my home. I asked her "Is there Muslims in South Africa " and she told me " Yes. Eight hundred thousand Muslim are living in South Africa ". But I'm not sure about that.
after Arpatheid ended, there are some Malaysian Malays migrated to Cape Town..some even opened business there... maybe because they have relatives there...
Reply

Faseeha
01-23-2009, 07:02 AM
:sl:

Islam is really widespread here, we have Muslim's all over the country. There are Masjid's, Islamic schools and Madressah's in all the major towns and cities.
Reply

north_malaysian
01-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by Proudly_Muslim
:sl:

Islam is really widespread here, we have Muslim's all over the country. There are Masjid's, Islamic schools and Madressah's in all the major towns and cities.
I've heard that you guys have ISlamic radio stations too right?
Reply

Faseeha
01-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Yes we do, two islamic radio stations.

Will post the links for you later if you'd like
Reply

north_malaysian
01-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Proudly_Muslim
Yes we do, two islamic radio stations.

Will post the links for you later if you'd like
whoa... it could be heard worldwide too... cool...

I live in a country where Islam is the official religion, with 15 million Muslims and only 1 Islamic radio station
Reply

Faseeha
01-23-2009, 10:36 AM
whoa... it could be heard worldwide too... cool...
Yeah, through audio streaming or satellite.

Here's the links:

Radio Islam
http://www.radioislam.co.za/audio_st...ostreaming.htm

Channel Islam
http://webdna.co.za/dev/cii/audiolin...streamlink.htm
Reply

ardianto
01-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Proudly_Muslim
:sl:

Islam is really widespread here, we have Muslim's all over the country. There are Masjid's, Islamic schools and Madressah's in all the major towns and cities.
Alhamdulillah.
Reply

~Taalibah~
01-23-2009, 07:07 PM
I dont know how your aunt got that definite number. But yes, there is a lot of Muslims here.

Majority i would guess is black Muslims if you dont mean South Africans only. There are a lot of Somalians and Malawians coming into the country as well as some other Africans.

Malays and Indians too are large in number and now lately Pakistaani's.
Reply

Faseeha
01-23-2009, 07:24 PM
There's also quite a few Egyptians as well as Bangladashi's
Reply

~Taalibah~
01-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Actually there is a bit of all nationalities, lol.
Arab, Iraqi, Turkish etc
Reply

Mogamad_Riyadh
01-23-2009, 08:36 PM
I am a white Muslim living in Cape Town. Reverted to Islam in 1999.

I work in a Corporate company and there are many Cape Malays working for the company. I haven't met any black Muslims but, I know quite a few white Muslims.
Reply

north_malaysian
01-24-2009, 03:18 AM
Are all Muslims in South Africa are Sunnis?
Reply

Faseeha
01-24-2009, 06:46 AM
I haven't come across any shia's but im sure there are some, not many though
Reply

north_malaysian
01-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Mogamad_Riyadh
I am a white Muslim living in Cape Town. Reverted to Islam in 1999.

I work in a Corporate company and there are many Cape Malays working for the company. I haven't met any black Muslims but, I know quite a few white Muslims.
are you Afrikaner Muslim?
Reply

Mogamad_Riyadh
01-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
are you Afrikaner Muslim?
No, I'm from an English background. I can't even speak Afrikaans properly.
Reply

ardianto
01-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Mogamad_Riyadh
I am a white Muslim living in Cape Town. Reverted to Islam in 1999.

I work in a Corporate company and there are many Cape Malays working for the company. I haven't met any black Muslims but, I know quite a few white Muslims.
Asalamulaikum.

Nice to meet you, brother.
Are you living in Cape Town ?. A beautiful place, isn't that ?
I know from my aunt's story. She is living there because her husband is on duty in Cape Town. They are Indonesians.

I have very surprised, I never know before, there are white Muslims in South Africa.
Reply

~Taalibah~
01-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Cape Town is a beautiful place but my parents like Indonesia better!
Reply

ardianto
01-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Actually, every place is a beautiful place when we are in happiness.
Reply

Faseeha
01-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Actually, every place is a beautiful place when we are in happiness.
That's true hey
Reply

Mogamad_Riyadh
01-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Asalamulaikum.

Nice to meet you, brother.
Are you living in Cape Town ?. A beautiful place, isn't that ?
I know from my aunt's story. She is living there because her husband is on duty in Cape Town. They are Indonesians.

I have very surprised, I never know before, there are white Muslims in South Africa.
Salaam.
Yes, I live in Cape Town and it is a beautiful place. I have met quite a few white Muslims and they are all reverts. This has happend, I think, since the fall of apartheid. I'm not sure if there were any that reverted before.
Reply

~Taalibah~
01-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Proudly_Muslim
That's true hey
:sl:
Which part of SA are you sister?
Reply

Faseeha
01-24-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm from Johannesburg and yourself?
Reply

~Taalibah~
01-25-2009, 09:40 AM
:sl:
P.E.
Reply

Faseeha
01-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Oh ok, unfortunately i haven't been to that part of the country yet
Reply

~Taalibah~
01-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Lol, most jhb ppl dont take to it, too quiet. The beach is about the only source of entertainment. However I wouldn't trade it for jhb.:)
Reply

Faseeha
01-26-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm one of them. The only thing I don't like about Jhb is that its missing a beach
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 04:10 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2009, 12:41 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2008, 03:34 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-11-2006, 12:55 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!