/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Our Legacy For the Next Generation: Doubt?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-21-2009, 04:54 PM
:sl:

http://muslimmatters.org/2009/01/21/...eration-doubt/

Indeed all praise is for Allah. I seek refuge with Him from the rejected-devil, from the evil that my misdeeds and excesses may bring upon me or others, and from every source of evil. In the Name of Allah, I begin.

Ash-Shura, Ayat 14

Sahih International: And they did not become divided until after knowledge had come to them - out of jealous animosity between themselves. And if not for a word that preceded from your Lord [postponing the penalty] until a specified time, it would have been concluded between them. And indeed, those who were granted inheritance of the Scripture after them are, concerning it, in disquieting doubt.
Posted by abu abdAllah

Muslims who go to the masjid regularly for salat often notice that many more Muslims attend Jum’aa (Friday khutbah and prayers). And Muslims who regularly attend Jum’aa probably notice how many more Muslims attend Eid. And the hard fact is that in most communities, only a fraction of Muslims will attend the two Eids.

There are many reasons given for poor attendance at masajid nationwide — poor as percentages of the Muslims residing in those communities. This article zeroes in on one of them — “those mullahs are always fighting.” Those words were not from any dream sequence. Those are the words that Muslim doctors often repeat to my father, also a physician, when he encourages them to be more involved in their local masjid.

Is there any truth to that accusation? Let’s substitute for “mullah” the words “people who have some knowledge of Islam.” Do people who have some knowledge of Islam fight or argue with others at the masajid? Do they criticize each other in public or in secret? Are there “turf wars” in our communities?

Suppose for the moment that to an outside observer the answers to those questions are all “yes!

Our own Nouman Ali Khan discusses in this video khatirah what Allah warns the Muslims regarding fighting and arguing among people to whom revelation and knowledge have come.

Media Tags are no longer supported

While the warning of Allah applies to all people, surely it is the ulema, the people of dhikr, who ponder His Message and give us our best living examples of how to take heed. It is by the examples they set that ulema do justice or injustice to their inheritance from the Prophet sull Allaho alayhi wa sallam.

Most of us who read MM have met shuyukh like Waleed Basyouni, Yasir Qadhi, and Yaser Birjas, and mashaAllah, can attest from personal experience how these shuyukh and so many others like them study and teach Islam with strength and kindness, firm in faith yet compassionate. Do we not see how Allah puts barakat in the dawah of these shuyukh?

Our challenge as a community in America is to instill the same attitudes in our masajid, whether in their imams, their boards, their schools, or in any activity. The legacy we leave the generation that follows us should not be one that fills them with discord, sowing the seeds of doubt. Rather we have an obligation to call to what is right with salam, with peace.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.