/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Jehovah's Witnesses

Baji-Ji
01-21-2009, 06:05 PM
:sl:
What do you make of them?

I respect all religions however I was quite annoyed today at Jehovah's Witnesses.

Two women came round, they had a leaflet about water and wasting water when people in poorer countries don't have access to clean water, she opened the information book straight away to a page full of facts they said we'll leave the leaflet(book type thing) with you, and handed me two and walked away.

I looked at the front cover of the first and seen it mentioned God, I turned to see what was on the other book and it was all about Jehovah's Witnesses.

I ripped it up and threw it away ...
I wouldn't have been so annoyed if they had mentioned this is what it was I would've politely said I'm muslim sorry closed the door and left it at that

but their sneakiness angered me!

What do you think of them?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
01-21-2009, 11:22 PM
I don't like Jehovah's Witnesses. I do try to be impartial and tolerant, but I remember well how my late grandfather was endlessly pestered by them. He was old, knew death was approaching, I think, and was a little afraid, and the JWs played on that for all they were worth. It made me very angry.

rami0323
01-21-2009, 11:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Baji-Ji
What do you make of them?

I respect all religions however I was quite annoyed today at Jehovah's Witnesses.

Two women came round, they had a leaflet about water and wasting water when people in poorer countries don't have access to clean water, she opened the information book straight away to a page full of facts they said we'll leave the leaflet(book type thing) with you, and handed me two and walked away.

I looked at the front cover of the first and seen it mentioned God, I turned to see what was on the other book and it was all about Jehovah's Witnesses.

I ripped it up and threw it away ...
I wouldn't have been so annoyed if they had mentioned this is what it was I would've politely said I'm muslim sorry closed the door and left it at that

but their sneakiness angered me!

What do you think of them?

:w:
Well... :D we have the same problem with them in poland. ppl are angry and annoyed that they walk from home to home and talk about their religion. u know its ok if you want to change your religion and go to them. but it's annoying when these ppl come to your home and talk about their religion.
thats my opinion :)

Pygoscelis
01-22-2009, 01:37 AM
Aren't they the one that abuses their children by denying live saving treatment, like blood transfusions? They should be arrested and locked up.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
01-22-2009, 01:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Aren't they the one that abuses their children by denying live saving treatment, like blood transfusions? They should be arrested and locked up.
I have mixed feelings about that. I feel it is wrong for the government to interfere with a persons religious belief and I feel it is wrong to endanger the life and/or health of a child.

When I was in Texas at one point I worked as an investigator/counselor for Children's protective services. this was an issue we faced often. However we did find that most JW's would cooperate if we assured them they would not face criminal charges and would have their children returned. We would get a court order temporarily removing the children from the parent's care, make them temporary wards of the state and return them to the parents after the necessary medical treatment was done.

north_malaysian
01-22-2009, 01:59 AM
They're prohibited in Singapore as they dont want to involve in National Service...

Woodrow
01-22-2009, 02:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
They're prohibited in Singapore as they dont want to involve in National Service...
Here in the USA they register as conscientious objectors. If a person belongs to a faith that forbids them to use firearms even for self-defense, they are exempted from military service.

Needless to say during war time the JWs get a lot of "converts"

north_malaysian
01-22-2009, 02:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Here in the USA they register as conscientious objectors. If a person belongs to a faith that forbids them to use firearms even for self-defense, they are exempted from military service.

Needless to say during war time the JWs get a lot of "converts"
LOL...

In Malaysia, an actress was excused from attending national service because of her film/ads contracts.... and a poor boy was jailed for not attending the national service as he is the sole breadwinner of the family...:exhausted

Pomak
02-10-2009, 10:22 AM
A few months ago some JW came to my house. Seems like they were not really into trying to convert a muslim.

Mysterious Uk
02-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Yeh a couple knocked on our door and they asked what religion i was.. i said muslim and the look on the ladys face was priceless. I never understood what they were trying to do though cos they just hand u a booklet. Only when i read the booklet did i get what they were; originally i thought they were just a couple of weirdos.

Thinker
02-10-2009, 11:50 AM
I have always found them to be very nice people. Over the years, I have on several occasions, invited them into my home, read their literature, listened to their views and debated with them. Why – for the same reasons I am here – I am curious to understand why certain people believe so passionately in certain things which, to me, appear untenable. If you take the time to read the stuff they produce it doesn’t stand up to critical analysis; it seems to be aimed at the uneducated and impressionable. For example it’ll quote some unarguable fact like ‘the weather is worsening with floods in one place a droughts in another and it’ll then point to a passage in the bible which loosely talks about weather and suggest that the weather is worsening because God is angry with the people.’ I politely point out all the holes in their arguments, they go away and return with someone ‘senior’ whose arguments are no stronger and they eventually stop coming. The question I ask is why do they continue to believe and follow when they are unable to sustain a debate on their views? The answer I came up with is because the structure of the group gives them what they want. They are part of a group of people who are all very nice and very supportive of each other; they are taught that they are chosen and that only they and those who follow their beliefs will get into heaven and they are taught that if they leave after being converted they will go to hell. I have formed the view that some people want to be part of a solidly sure and supportive structure so badly that they are able to convince themselves that 2 and 2 makes 5.

Pomak
02-10-2009, 12:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
I have always found them to be very nice people. Over the years, I have on several occasions, invited them into my home, read their literature, listened to their views and debated with them. Why – for the same reasons I am here – I am curious to understand why certain people believe so passionately in certain things which, to me, appear untenable. If you take the time to read the stuff they produce it doesn’t stand up to critical analysis; it seems to be aimed at the uneducated and impressionable. For example it’ll quote some unarguable fact like ‘the weather is worsening with floods in one place a droughts in another and it’ll then point to a passage in the bible which loosely talks about weather and suggest that the weather is worsening because God is angry with the people.’ I politely point out all the holes in their arguments, they go away and return with someone ‘senior’ whose arguments are no stronger and they eventually stop coming. The question I ask is why do they continue to believe and follow when they are unable to sustain a debate on their views? The answer I came up with is because the structure of the group gives them what they want. They are part of a group of people who are all very nice and very supportive of each other; they are taught that they are chosen and that only they and those who follow their beliefs will get into heaven and they are taught that if they leave after being converted they will go to hell. I have formed the view that some people want to be part of a solidly sure and supportive structure so badly that they are able to convince themselves that 2 and 2 makes 5.
^Honestly that seems a tad presumptuous, to me.

sevgi
02-10-2009, 12:55 PM
I love their optimism.

I mean, going round door to door in order to bring people into Jehovanism reduces their chances of being amongst the 144,000 cherished ones who will make it into heaven. But that doesn't phase them!

Whatsthepoint
02-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Silly people, I don't like them.

Keltoi
02-10-2009, 01:55 PM
They believe what they believe...like everyone else in the world.

Ar-RaYYan
02-10-2009, 01:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
Are you sure they used the word 'hell'. I know someone who is a jehovah witness and she told me that they do not believe in hell at all. Basically they argue that since God is merciful he wouldnt want 'his children'- yes thats right they believe that humans, angels ,satan etc are all 'God's children'- to suffer so they are given a second chance!
I think this point is one of the main criticism of Jehova Witness. I dont understand why these people would spend so much time and effort being good and doing good work when they already know that God will give them a chance anyway!

Whatsthepoint
02-10-2009, 01:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
They believe what they believe...like everyone else in the world.
Yeah, but most other people don't go door to door preaching.
And they refuse blood transfusion.
I kinda like the Watchtower and Awake, at least the pictures are nice.

sevgi
02-10-2009, 02:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
Are you sure they used the word 'hell'. I know someone who is a jehovah witness and she told me that they do not believe in hell at all. Basically they argue that since God is merciful he wouldnt want 'his children'- yes thats right they believe that humans, angels ,satan etc are all 'God's children'- to suffer so they are given a second chance!
I think this point is one of the main criticism of Jehova Witness. I dont understand why these people would spend so much time and effort being good and doing good work when they already know that God will give them a chance anyway!
I agree with the fact that they dnt believe in hell.

As for your second point...

They believe that only 144 000 cherished jehovas witnesses will join Jesus in the special governing team in heaven.

All other good people will live in a new state of life on earth.The above governing people will take care of them. All non believers will just die. death is a state of nothingness, soullessness to them.

Ar-RaYYan
02-10-2009, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sevgi

All other good people will live in a new state of life on earth.The above governing people will take care of them. All non believers will just die. death is a state of nothingness, soullessness to them.
hmm :hmm:thats bit weird becuase i remember the jehovas withness person telling me that all those non jehovas will be resurrected and allowed to prove their worthiness. maybe that is different perspective :hmm:just like there are different views on blood transfusion

They believe that only 144 000 cherished jehovas witnesses will join Jesus in the special governing team in heaven.
One of thing that i always wondered about was how do they know thay will be one of the 144 000 cherished jehovas. There are more than a million of them and all of them want to be part of the 144 000 that will govern the rest of the humanity- wouldn't it create uncertainty and insecurity within the individual - what if God doesnt choose me what did i do wrong? may he will chose that person and not me and etc

sevgi
02-10-2009, 02:50 PM
hmm :hmm:thats bit weird becuase i remember the jehovas withness person telling me that all those non jehovas will be resurrected and allowed to prove their worthiness. maybe that is different perspective :hmm:just like there are different views on blood transfusion

One of thing that i always wondered about was how do they know thay will be one of the 144 000 cherished jehovas. There are more than a million of them and all of them want to be part of the 144 000 that will govern the rest of the humanity- wouldn't it create uncertainty and insecurity within the individual - what if God doesnt choose me what did i do wrong? may he will chose that person and not me and etc
I have no idea about your first point.

For your second point, I guess thats why they work harder and harder..coz they are uncertain as to whether or not they will be in that 144 000. ?

Civilsed
02-10-2009, 04:26 PM

i also had two Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door once and i questioned them and quoted the Bible and the Quran and after an hour they said they had to go :D Walahi another 20 minutes who knows they might have reverted . Needless to say they have not been back since.

MO783
02-10-2009, 04:41 PM

I use to have them around sometimes but not had one knock on my door for a while,

but I no someone once who told me to use hikmah with them. you say to them that you will listen to what they have to say but then say they have to listen to you etc

and should read them the quran and the story of Isa AS and also the tafseer etc

or what ever you wish etc

sevgi
02-10-2009, 04:47 PM
My neighbour, that is, my friend's dad, once opened the door to them and said:

"You know what...we muslims do not need to go door to door to preech our religion...people come to us. When people start coming to your religion without you knocking on their doors...maybe I'll look into it"

*Ottomanslap*

ps: that may have not been the exact quote..but it was something like that.

Grace Seeker
02-11-2009, 02:40 AM

Well, yes and no. My great-grandfather was a JW, and I've inherited all of his books that were published by the Watchtower. No they don't believe in hell, but not for the reasons that you gave. JW's believe that upon death unbelievers (i.e., non-JWs) simply cease to exist at death, are annihilated and that believers remain in death until the resurrection.

The following come directly from JW sources:
Man's Soul

Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that a person is the soul the Bible speaks of, and when a person dies nothing lives on, the person is dead and is conscious of nothing. When the time comes for God to resurrect them from the dead He will create a new body for them from His memory.

Hell

They totally deny the existence of the traditional Christian view of Hell. Satan is regarded as having created the concept of Hellfire in order to turn people against God. They believe that hell is the "common grave of mankind" where people go when they die. They are not conscious there. Unbelievers simply cease to exist at death. Believers remain in death until the resurrection.

The 144,000

The Heavenly Kingdom took effect in 1914 with the invisible enthronement of Christ as King. A little flock or Anointed Class of about 135,300 people currently occupies it. All were selected after Christ's ascension into heaven at Pentecost (33 AD) and during subsequent centuries. The selection of the full complement of 144,000 was completed in 1935. Some 8,700 are still living on earth. They will spend eternity as spirit creatures in heaven with God and Christ and will rule over the other Jehovah’s Witnesses who remain on earth. Those spending eternity on earth are what Jehovah’s Witnesses call the Great Crowd or Other Sheep.

north_malaysian
02-11-2009, 06:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Those spending eternity on earth are what Jehovah’s Witnesses call the Great Crowd or Other Sheep
other sheep? that is so insulting...

Grace Seeker
02-11-2009, 04:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
other sheep? that is so insulting...
You think it's baaa-a-d? :statisfie

I doubt if they even considered how it might sound. I think they took the phrase from this passage of scripture:
John 10
14"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.

Caller الداعي
02-11-2009, 06:56 PM
salam!
friends i think that what they do is what they beleive and we cant stop that as long it is not hurting anybody or illegal...
we should be more understanding and not let our emotions overcome us.
ive met them on quite a few occasions as usual at the front door and they seem to get annoyed with me in the end...
i think we should take advantage of these meetings and tell them about our religion and what we believe coz i know for a fact that a majority of them have the usual stereotypical idea of islam i mean islam is about the sword and oppressing women etc..yeah the usual lies.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.