/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Nation

Musaafirah
01-23-2009, 12:44 PM
:sl:
Not sure if this is the right place, but mods please move if it's in the wrong section.
Just wondering if anyones seen this vid.
Welsh, white and Muslim
Opinions?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
nadia85
01-23-2009, 12:53 PM
just going 2 watch it i am welsh 2 lol

nadia85
01-23-2009, 01:27 PM
masallah thanks alot for posting,being a welsh muslim my self and wearing hijab in high school being the only 1 was hard ,I was 11 years old my grandparents and uncles didnt like it at all would blame my mum etc but I think most welsh ppl have very little knowlege or experince about muslims hope this changes inshallah and that video made me pround to b welsh!!!!:DOh and can i just add as I have become older moved away frm wales 2 bradford it makes me sad 2 see asian people not all but alot not think we r not muslims inshallah it will change skin colour is nothing wish ppl would see that

Musaafirah
01-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Videos available until Monday 23rd February.
When I went to Wales people used to look at me funny, but then I thought it was coz of my madness. :)
Thing is, once people overcome the blocks in their minds, they're pretty open to Islam.
It IS a beautiful religion after all. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mikayeel
01-24-2009, 08:26 PM

Here in cardiff everything is fine, people know what islam is(most of them) I haven't been up north though. I am pretty sure its much worse over there!

Musaafirah
01-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Cardiff's pretty cool. Swanseas a bit scaryish. Newport has loads of Bengalis. :skeleton:

nadia85
01-24-2009, 08:36 PM
have any of u guys heard of pontypridd???

nadia85
01-24-2009, 08:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mikayeel

Here in cardiff everything is fine, people know what islam is(most of them) I haven't been up north though. I am pretty sure its much worse over there!
yeah In cardiff it s ok i guess ,bradford where I live so many muslims more than i c in wales

Musaafirah
01-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Is it where they have some car ports and stuff? That's one of the main reasons I come to Wales. When I need a new car lol.

Civilsed
01-24-2009, 08:44 PM

Masha'Allah how great was that video. Insha'Allah this in just the beginning and may it spread thoughout the west. I think this is the future of Islam In the west and as said in the video a great bridge.

:thumbs_up

layla is here
01-24-2009, 08:48 PM
I would love to go to Wales one day.The closest I have been is new castle england! Maybe one day...

aadil77
01-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Omer Williams and his brother Stuart are both Welsh Muslims. They have converted to Islam and are part of a growing UK trend.

Stuart and his convert wife Kate are expecting their first baby, believing their child will be the first white Welsh-born Muslim. Omer's wife Shereen, meanwhile, experiences Islamophobia first-hand on the streets of Cardiff.

Narrated by Siwan Morris
Just saw it, Nice watch

Mikayeel
01-24-2009, 09:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nadia85
have any of u guys heard of pontypridd???
yep i know it :)

The place i work is 10 minutes away from it. See down there people are not to educated about islam, i believe they call us 'the painted men' lool, not sure if they still do.

Bradford has a high pakistani populations hasnt it?

nadia85
01-24-2009, 09:51 PM
yep i know it :)

The place i work is 10 minutes away from it. See down there people are not to educated about islam, i believe they call us 'the painted men' lool, not sure if they still do.

Bradford has a high pakistani populations hasnt it?
YES people r not very friendly there 2 other people not just muslims thats where I was born but not in the town I lived on a farm.brady got alot of pakistains

noorseeker
01-24-2009, 09:56 PM
thts why its called bradistan

Mikayeel
01-26-2009, 11:21 PM
*bump* did u guys see todays show? about the hijaab and hairdos, all people from my previous high school.

nadia85
01-26-2009, 11:22 PM
no i did nt can u post the link was it onn bcc 1

Mikayeel
01-26-2009, 11:32 PM
^

It will be on bbc iplayer in the days to come, its not available yet.
So keep trying at bbc iplayer, inshAllah it will be on soon.

:w:

nadia85
01-26-2009, 11:36 PM
ok thanks i will do

nadia85
01-26-2009, 11:38 PM
sorry what was the full name of the program?

Mikayeel
01-26-2009, 11:41 PM
^

New Nation, Hijabs and Hairdos

nadia85
01-26-2009, 11:46 PM
ok thank you

nadia85
01-27-2009, 10:33 AM
aslam malikom.hmmmmmmmm just watched the second part and I didnt really like it a bit negative .what s ur opions???

*Yasmin*
01-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only

Mikayeel
01-27-2009, 04:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nadia85
aslam malikom.hmmmmmmmm just watched the second part and I didnt really like it a bit negative .what s ur opions???
I did not like it at all, was very hypocritical. I am not sure why the title has hijaab, is it to show that they are proud not to wear one or....?

May Allah guide us all

nadia85
01-27-2009, 05:05 PM
I did not like it at all, was very hypocritical. I am not sure why the title has hijaab, is it to show that they are proud not to wear one or....?

May Allah guide us all
ameen inshallah

Musaafirah
01-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Watched it today and thought 'What the heck?'
How are they talking about the hijab? They were completely off track and kept talking about culture and what not. They could've used a different title at least. That was misleading.
The woman seriously had some issues man.
Here's the direct link for those of you who want to watch it.
Hijabs and Hairdos

glo
01-29-2009, 02:57 PM
I came across this BBC television programme about Muslim reverts in Wales.
I must admit that I only watched the first few minutes myself so far - so I cannot guarantee the content. What I have watched so far looked informative and certainly didn't present Islam in a negative light.

The programme follows two Welsh brothers who both reverted and are married to Muslim women.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...sh_and_Muslim/

peace

Ali.
01-29-2009, 04:27 PM
I saw that - it's really good, and very interesting.

glo
01-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Glad you liked it, Ali.
I have managed to watch a bit over 20 minutes now, and found it very interesting too.

Pk_#2
01-29-2009, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Glad you liked it, Ali.
I have managed to watch a bit over 20 minutes now, and found it very interesting too.

I saw half of it and ma pc shut down, but good so far, I needa find the palce where I left off though, but not now.. inshaAllaah after I pick up Tia from masjid :statisfie

And Glo.. :-[ I never had a baby.

glo
01-29-2009, 06:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pk_#2
And Glo.. :-[ I never had a baby.
Oh, you rotten liar!!! Give me back my reps! (Only joking ... :D)

Pk_#2
01-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Oh, you rotten liar!!! Give me back my reps! (Only joking ... :D)
Ahaha ;D. No I shalt not! Finders keepers, losers weepers, now go weep! :p

Mikayeel
01-29-2009, 06:44 PM
http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...ew-nation.html

A thread about the same programme, and also about the hijab and hairdos also in cardiff.

glo
01-30-2009, 07:12 PM
^
Thank you for pointing out that thread.
Perhaps one of the mods can merge them.

I have now watched the entire programme, and have found it very interesting!
Does anybody here actually know the people in the programme? Or is one of the people in the programme??

Mikayeel
01-31-2009, 03:04 PM
^
Thank you for pointing out that thread.
Perhaps one of the mods can merge them.

I have now watched the entire programme, and have found it very interesting!
Does anybody here actually know the people in the programme? Or is one of the people in the programme??

The people in hijab and hairdos i know almost all of them. The girl nafeesa used to be in my previous high school. And mehisa is in my current college.
Almost all of my friends thought it was very negative.

glo
01-31-2009, 04:16 PM

The people in hijab and hairdos i know almost all of them. The girl nafeesa used to be in my previous high school. And mehisa is in my current college.
Almost all of my friends thought it was very negative.
Was it 'White, Welsh and Muslim' they found negative, or 'Hijab and hairdos'?

And what exactly did your friends find negative? The way the programme was presented, or the way the people in the programme presented themselves?

nadia85
01-31-2009, 04:24 PM
first 1 was really good masallah second 1 hijab and hairdos not good at all

Ali.
01-31-2009, 05:12 PM
OK, I just saw Hijabs and Hairdos and I have to say I didn't like it, reason being the way they portrayed the programme.

Mikayeel
01-31-2009, 06:39 PM
Was it 'White, Welsh and Muslim' they found negative, or 'Hijab and hairdos'?

And what exactly did your friends find negative? The way the programme was presented, or the way the people in the programme presented themselves?
Its the hijaab nd hairdos they found negative.

Me and my friends found it to be hypocritical.

glo
01-31-2009, 09:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
OK, I just saw Hijabs and Hairdos and I have to say I didn't like it, reason being the way they portrayed the programme.
What did you think was wrong with the way the programme was portrayed?

I have watched both programmes, and I have found that the makers took great care to let the people presented speak for themselves and express their own views.

I can imagine that not all Muslims would agree with the views presented in 'Hijabs and hairdos' - but was that really due to the way the programme was made, or due to the views presented by the people in the programme?? (If you get my meaning ...)

Peace

Intisar
01-31-2009, 10:11 PM
:sl: Awww drats, it's only available in the UK!! imsad

Mikayeel
01-31-2009, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
:sl: Awww drats, it's only available in the UK!! imsad
Yee bbc iplayer is only for us people :D

However if u have a proxy changer, nd u can change ur ip to one in the UK then that should b fine.

Ali.
02-01-2009, 02:35 PM
What did you think was wrong with the way the programme was portrayed?

I have watched both programmes, and I have found that the makers took great care to let the people presented speak for themselves and express their own views.

I can imagine that not all Muslims would agree with the views presented in 'Hijabs and hairdos' - but was that really due to the way the programme was made, or due to the views presented by the people in the programme?? (If you get my meaning ...)

Peace
I felt it was just presented in a way to say "life in the west is free, islamic lifestyle isn't". I can't remember - I think that was the reason I didn't like it, I may rewatch to justify, though.

alcurad
02-01-2009, 10:29 PM
for non-britishers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laMYfD5UlHI
I usually dislike this kind of show actually, feels awkward, meh anyway..

Ar-RaYYan
02-01-2009, 11:49 PM
just watched now
didn't like the way some of the people mixed culture with Islam :hmm:

alcurad
02-02-2009, 12:58 AM
^yup

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.