/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Life with non muslim/religious family

allahuakbar90
01-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Asalaamualekum brothers and sisters,

I converted to islam about bout a year ago, mashallah, and I still haven't told my parents about it. My friends and two brothers know but I can't bring myself to tell my parents. Anyway due to this I cannot openly pray, read islamic scripture or simply be a muslim at home which is really frustrating I find myself becoming aggitatted with a lot of things e.g. pork in the house my dad drinking and being irritating when hes drunk (not abusive just irritating talking nonsense), but it might also be the fact I'm getting older (going on 19) and I need my own space possibly. I was wondering if anybody else has gone through the same thing and how/what they did to overcome this. Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place.

Salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
index123
02-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I know what your talking about brother, my family is pretty lose in religion only my dad is
religious and I find it so difficult to remember Allah. I would suggest you bring up something
on the dinner table related to islam like, did you know "Micheal Jackson converted to Islam" and
see how they respond and what there attitude towards it is and then if you feel comfortable tell
them by saying something like "Its really a great religion, although people sterotype it alot its
nothing like what they say"
or if they have a bad attitude towards it clear up any misconceptions with them and then tell them.

Dawud_uk
02-03-2009, 07:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by allahuakbar90
Asalaamualekum brothers and sisters,

I converted to islam about bout a year ago, mashallah, and I still haven't told my parents about it. My friends and two brothers know but I can't bring myself to tell my parents. Anyway due to this I cannot openly pray, read islamic scripture or simply be a muslim at home which is really frustrating I find myself becoming aggitatted with a lot of things e.g. pork in the house my dad drinking and being irritating when hes drunk (not abusive just irritating talking nonsense), but it might also be the fact I'm getting older (going on 19) and I need my own space possibly. I was wondering if anybody else has gone through the same thing and how/what they did to overcome this. Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place.

Salaam
:sl:

how do you make sure your food is halal if you are pretending?

anyway, my advice to new muslims is always to get it out in the open straight away or as soon as possible if you have kept it a secret.

the reasons for this are many, here are three very good ones to stop this right now.

1. if you keep it a secret then how can you give them da'wah effectively, do you want your own parents to go to the hellfire?

2. how can you practice fully in secret? next to impossible.

3. mistrust. it will come as a worst shock and betrayal to family if you have kept it a secret the longer you dont tell them.

right, i would recommend one thing before you tell them. get a friend to agree you can stop over if your family kick you out. if you've got a place to stay for a few weeks at least you wont be homeless if they do kick you out and families i thought would never react this way do, and some i have thought are bound to kick off never did.

now go tell them, dont delay other than a day or two to get somewhere to stay just in case.

:sl:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.