/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you to memorize the Quran?

KashifB
01-28-2009, 09:27 AM
:sl:

Just trying to get an idea of how long, on average, does it take people to memorize the Holy Quran.

It took me 2 years and 2 months, that's the first time around not including the revisions. Would you say this is average?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
01-28-2009, 12:46 PM
I think that's pretty good mashallah.
I've known people who've done it in a year, some who did it in a couple of months, some who took several years, longer even.
My friends little sister did it in a year, in the 5th grade. Mashallah she's brilliant.
My mom took about a year and a half.
It has taken me about 6 years because when I first started I didn't really take it seriously and went reeeally slow. But these past 2 years I sped up and finished what was left of it, about two thirds, alhamdullilah.

Danah
01-28-2009, 01:36 PM
I am planning to finish it in 3 yrs......10 juzz each year

my current problem is the revision...

but I will work harder after finishing school insha allah because my schedule is always busy

just keep me in ur duaa please jazakum allah khair

muslimah 4 life
01-28-2009, 02:05 PM

I would love to memorize the Quran, it would be a dream come true.
I don't even know if its possible now that I am in my EARLY 20s. :-[
Could I do it at home or do you have to attend classes?

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
KashifB
01-28-2009, 02:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
... some who did it in a couple of months ...
That is quick Masha Allah

format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA

my current problem is the revision...

but I will work harder after finishing school insha allah because my schedule is always busy

just keep me in ur duaa please jazakum allah khair
May Allah subhanahu wata'ala help you in all your good intentions.

KashifB
01-28-2009, 03:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah 4 life

I would love to memorize the Quran, it would be a dream come true.
I don't even know if its possible now that I am in my EARLY 20s. :-[
Could I do it at home or do you have to attend classes?

It's never too late to start memorizing the Quran. If you know how to read Arabic properly, ie. tajweed, you can do it at home in your spare time.

nebula
01-28-2009, 03:02 PM
im 17 and i can't even read arabic yet :( its really bad.

But inshallah during the summer holidays im gonna be taught by a teacher.

muslimah 4 life
01-28-2009, 04:32 PM
I corrected my mistakes when my daughter who is mashallah 7 started to read to a Qari. :)

Abu Ilyas
01-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Alhamdulillah, it took me 2-3 years. I've heard of some some brothers who have finished within 6 months.

W/s

Danah
01-28-2009, 05:41 PM
can those who did it share their experience please

like how much you memorize a day and how you review?

Banu_Hashim
01-28-2009, 05:48 PM
wow. MashAllah. I'm really impressed by how many people have memorised the Qur'an. This is one of the things to do on the top of my list. It's just getting the time to take a few hours in the day to do it. InshAllah after my exams/school...

Banu_Hashim
01-28-2009, 05:49 PM
can those who did it share their experience please

like how much you memorize a day and how you review?
Yeah... give us revision tips if you don't mind!

How good are people's memory? If given an ayat can you continue it?

KashifB
01-28-2009, 09:34 PM

What does juzz mean? Does it mean para?

KashifB
01-28-2009, 09:37 PM

In Pakistan people who have memorised the Quran are called Hafiz, is this the same in the Arabic language?

Danah
01-28-2009, 09:39 PM
^ yeah hafiz is the same in Arabic
and juzz mean part.....like we have 30 parts of Quran

so can you share your experience please?

Banu_Hashim
01-28-2009, 09:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KashifB

Yeah, Para is the same as Juzz.

BlackMamba
01-28-2009, 10:06 PM
It took me about 4 years to become Hafiz. It took me a while because I'm in highschool and I'm lazy and I took days off astaghfirallah.
But I still need to revise and my Quran is in critical condition. I'm trying to revise more and Inshallah I can make my Quran stronger by next Ramadan and lead taraweeh. make du'a for me

Abu Ilyas
01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
^Masha'Allah, May Allah make it easy for you akhee.

KashifB
01-28-2009, 10:33 PM
... so can you share your experience please?

My uncle admitted me in a madrassa in Pakistan when I was 12 years old. I was studying 6 days a week, three times a day. First session was 7am to 11am, second was Dhuhr to Asr and the third was Maghrib to Isha.

Most students started backwards because it's easier to pick up and memorize. At the beginning it was hard because I had to learn tajweed and even though I finished memorising in 2 years and 2 months, the first para (30th) took me 2 months to memorize. The second (29th) took me a month and a quarter (or there abouts) then after that I had developed a technique for memorizing and was memorizing a para a month. The last few I memorised were even quicker.

When I became a Hafiz, I received a Sanad (certificate) from the madrassa and started to revise. The revision took me nearly a year and then I moved to England.

Danah
01-28-2009, 10:41 PM

My uncle admitted me in a madrassa in Pakistan when I was 12 years old. I was studying 6 days a week, three times a day. First session was 7am to 11am, second was Dhuhr to Asr and the third was Maghrib to Isha.

Most students started backwards because it's easier to pick up and memorize. At the beginning it was hard because I had to learn tajweed and even though I finished memorising in 2 years and 2 months, the first para (30th) took me 2 months to memorize. The second (29th) took me a month and a quarter (or there abouts) then after that I had developed a technique for memorizing and was memorizing a para a month. The last few I memorised were even quicker.

When I became a Hafiz, I received a Sanad (certificate) from the madrassa and started to revise. The revision took me nearly a year and then I moved to England.
^ masha allah three times a day....that very helpful actually
I am starting from juzz 30 and going up. I finished one juzz in one month or 40 days depend on my schedule
my current problem is that I will be back to studying after few days and there will be absolutely no time to memorize so I am planning to keep reviewing what I memorized already in the past. Do you think this can work to not lose the desire to go on memorizing and at the same time not forget?
and I dont memorize in a school or with a teacher, I am just do it individually, do you think I need to be with a teacher?

What about the other brothers and sisters who memorized Quran, I am really need a help in managin memorizing, so please share your stories.

*Yasmin*
01-28-2009, 10:45 PM
^ ma shaa' Allah , that's really great may Allah reward you & enter you Al-firdaws Al-a'ala.

brother did you take tafseer classes besides tajweed?

BlackMamba
01-29-2009, 12:23 AM

Your revision was one year, how many times did you complete Quran in that time?

KashifB
01-29-2009, 12:28 AM
... I am just do it individually, do you think I need to be with a teacher? ...
If your Arabic words are correct (tajweed) you should be ok to do it yourself. Memorizing two ayats a day or three/four lines will not take long, you can still go to school/college and do this at the same time.

Once you memorise it, revision is as easy as reading it to yourself whether walking home from school, in your break time or even before going to bed.

KashifB
01-29-2009, 12:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *Yasmin*
...brother did you take tafseer classes besides tajweed?

No I didn't sister but this InshaAllah my next step.

Yanal
01-29-2009, 12:44 AM
Asalam Alaykum Warakmatulah Wabarkatuh
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah 4 life
I corrected my mistakes when my daughter who is mashallah 7 started to read to a Qari. :)
MashAllah.

format_quote Originally Posted by nebula
im 17 and i can't even read arabic yet :( its really bad.

But inshallah during the summer holidays im gonna be taught by a teacher.
bro it's nothing to feel horrible over now you have the intention.[="Navy"]

Danah
01-29-2009, 11:16 AM
If your Arabic words are correct (tajweed) you should be ok to do it yourself. Memorizing two ayats a day or three/four lines will not take long, you can still go to school/college and do this at the same time.

Once you memorise it, revision is as easy as reading it to yourself whether walking home from school, in your break time or even before going to bed.
well, my arabic words are correct alhumdulilah.....When I dont have any studying I memorize one page, I tried to memorize half a page when I have school but even that did not work....I might go with 1/4 page when I return back to studying

brother, what about revision? how did you revise what you memorized when you were memorizing something else?

crayon
01-29-2009, 11:20 AM
For me, this was what my schedule was like:

I go to a quran class Thursday mornings for a couple of hours, we have teachers there who have the ijaaza (not sure if you guys call it the same thing), and we recite whatever we have memorized through out the week. I memorize a page or two a day.

On school days, I memorize a page on the bus on the way to school, about a half hour ride or so. Since it's the first time I go through the page, it's about 50-60% memorized. Then on the way back from school, I revise the same page again, and it goes up to 60-70%. At night after I've finished all my school work, before I go to bed, I revise it another time, or memorize a new one. That makes it 70-80%. By Monday I usually know 3/4 pages, I revise them all together. Then on Wednesday I revise everything from that week, and by that time, it's 90%+ memorized.

I find memorizing on the way to school/work/etc. absolutely awesome, because otherwise, you'd just be sitting there; you might as well benefit from your time.

Also, I personally find that when you have a teacher or other people memorizing with you, it's much better. There's more competition which motivates you, plus there's someone to set you straight if you slack off. Even if it's just one person, it's better than doing it alone, imho anyway.

*Yasmin*
01-29-2009, 11:29 AM
^^ Ma Shaa' Allah, awesome may Allah reward you sis

I find memorizing on the way to school/work/etc. absolutely awesome, because otherwise, you'd just be sitting there; you might as well benefit from your time.
:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

i find revision in the car awesome

Danah
01-29-2009, 11:31 AM
^ masha allah, I was memorizing on my way in the bus, and I found it very effective especially in the morning. but now I dont use buses anymore and when I am with my brother in the car he keep talking to me :blind: there is no time

sis crayon, was there someone you asked to check your memorization before your teacher listen to you or you just depend on your own way of memorizing?

crayon
01-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Saya, maybe try putting a tape of the quran you're memorizing on in the car? That way your brother will keep quiet (lol) and you can revise along with the reciter?

I usually read whatever I'm going to memorize to my mother before I start, so she can correct any mistakes I have in the pronunciation, or harakat, or any of that. Then I just memorize and recite to my teachers.

KashifB
01-29-2009, 12:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shakoor15
Your revision was one year, how many times did you complete Quran in that time?
Once. It wasn't exactly a year, I cannot remember the exact length of time but it was certainly a bit less than a year.

KashifB
01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
... brother, what about revision? how did you revise what you memorized when you were memorizing something else?
When I was studying in the madrassa I was going to school, I was doing this full time.

Regarding revision, I was going to madrassa three times a day. In the morning session the teacher listened to sabaq (the new bit of the Quran we had learned), after sabaq the teacher listened to the current para we were on from the start to our sabaq.

In the afternoon session the teacher listened to a para or half a para which we had already memorised in cycle.

In the evening session we learned new sabaq to which was listened by the teacher again the next morning.

Although it will take you longer to complete, don't lose heart and stop. The main thing for you will be to keep revising what you have memorised so you don't forget.

KashifB
01-29-2009, 01:01 PM
When I was studying in the madrassa I was going to school, I was doing this full time.
I meant I was NOT going to school.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-29-2009, 01:02 PM
i haven't finished...in fact ive barely started. i have intended to memorize but ive put it on hold for now, simply because i just cant seem to motivate myself for revision. so i thought im not going to memorize something i cant keep in...

MO783
01-29-2009, 01:33 PM

Just trying to get an idea of how long, on average, does it take people to memorize the Holy Quran.

It took me 2 years and 2 months, that's the first time around not including the revisions. Would you say this is average?

Very good Mashallah,

I would just like to give you advice by to make sure you pray 1 para or atleast half everyday. Listen to quran recitation as well.

:)

MO783
01-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Forgot to ask where did you do your hifz ?

ninetrey
01-29-2009, 03:32 PM
^ yeah hafiz is the same in Arabic
and juzz mean part.....like we have 30 parts of Quran

so can you share your experience please?
esselamu aleikum

are you guys talking about the arabic quran or the english quran or what ever?

Al-Hanbali
01-29-2009, 04:14 PM
:salamext:

About 4 years, alhamdulillaah

Ayeshah
01-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Arabic quran i belive but i didn't finish almost the 7 surah's left

MO783
01-29-2009, 04:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ayeshah
Arabic quran i belive but i didn't finish almost the 7 surah's left
Are you being a Hafizah ?

You know i wish now I could go back to maderessa and become a hafiz the very least.

Its so beautiful and good.

muslim sister)
01-29-2009, 04:32 PM

Assalaamu Alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatu
Quran Has 30 Juzus (chapters)

For example 1

you want to know the 5th Juzu of the Quran in which page,

Take 5( the fifth juzu) – 1 = 4, the answer 4 x 2 = 8 then insert 2 after 8 which shows 82

Now look at the Quran and you will see The 5th Juzu begins on page 82.

Amazing isnt it !

Example 2

10( juzu of ten) – 1 = 9, the answer 9 x 2 = 18 then insert 2 after 18 which shows 182

Now look at the Quran and you will see the 10th Juzu begins on page 182.

Example 3

23( juzu of twenty three) – 1 = 22, the answer 22 x 2 = 44 then insert 2 after 44 which shows 442

Now look at the Quran and you will see the 23rd Juzu begins on page 442.

Subhana Allah share with others and teach your children how to do it, this way they will always rememember which Juzu starts on which page.

Allahu Akbar

WaSalamu Alaykum

Ayeshah
01-29-2009, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MO783
Are you being a Hafizah ?

You know i wish now I could go back to maderessa and become a hafiz the very least.

Its so beautiful and good.
if ur talking about Ayeshah i am going to be a hafiz inshallah

Danah
01-29-2009, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ninetrey
esselamu aleikum

are you guys talking about the arabic quran or the english quran or what ever?
when you want to memorize...its the arabic Quran.....the others are just translations my brother.

KashifB
01-29-2009, 08:57 PM

Brother Shakoor15, sorry I cannot PM because I'm not a full member yet and I don't want to reply here because you may not want me to. I will InshaAllah reply to your PM when I become a full member ie. when I have made 50 posts.

KashifB
01-29-2009, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MO783
Forgot to ask where did you do your hifz ?

Thanks for your advice brother. I did my hifz in Lahore, Pakistan.

Olive
01-29-2009, 09:08 PM

I completed my Hifz in a much longer time than you guys did... that's because I started REALLY young lol, around 8 or 9. I finished when in 2007, alhamdulillah. :)

format_quote Originally Posted by muslim sister)
Assalaamu Alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatu
Quran Has 30 Juzus (chapters)

For example 1

you want to know the 5th Juzu of the Quran in which page,

Take 5( the fifth juzu) – 1 = 4, the answer 4 x 2 = 8 then insert 2 after 8 which shows 82

Now look at the Quran and you will see The 5th Juzu begins on page 82.

Amazing isnt it !

Example 2

10( juzu of ten) – 1 = 9, the answer 9 x 2 = 18 then insert 2 after 18 which shows 182

Now look at the Quran and you will see the 10th Juzu begins on page 182.

Example 3

23( juzu of twenty three) – 1 = 22, the answer 22 x 2 = 44 then insert 2 after 44 which shows 442

Now look at the Quran and you will see the 23rd Juzu begins on page 442.

Subhana Allah share with others and teach your children how to do it, this way they will always rememember which Juzu starts on which page.

Allahu Akbar

WaSalamu Alaykum

Masha'Allah that's cool but... there are different types of Qur'an with different amount of lines per page.

And also, I think most, if not all, Qur'an have a certain sign to note the beginning of each Juzz.

KashifB
01-29-2009, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hanz
.... Masha'Allah that's cool but... there are different types of Qur'an with different amount of lines per page....
I was thinking the same thing. The Quran I used to hifz from had 15 lines per page and 20 page to a para.

muslim sister)
01-30-2009, 06:36 AM
Masha'Allah that's cool but... there are different types of Qur'an with different amount of lines per page.

And also, I think most, if not all, Qur'an have a certain sign to note the beginning of each Juzz.
I was thinking the same thing. The Quran I used to hifz from had 15 lines per page and 20 page to a para.
Assalamu Alaikum
Well I don't know what kind of Quran you guys use,but most of my friends including me checked it and it really works.:)
Wassalam

Samkurd
01-30-2009, 07:52 AM
i want to ask, i am arab yet i never learnt to speak arabic and i hardly understand it... i am reading the Qur'an in english, will Allah give me praise for doing so? I plan to buy Rosetta stone and learn arabic but im afraid if i do that it will only teach me certain dialects that will have no connection to the arabic used in the Qur'an..

Al-Hanbali
01-30-2009, 09:37 AM
^ inshaAllaah there is ajr (reward) in reading the translation of the meanings of the Qur'aan, but we must strive to learn how to read and recite in arabic, since only the arabic qualifies as Qur'aan!

You might want to use 'Access to Qur'anic Arabic' by Abdul-Wahid Hamid. It is a set of 3 books including a textbook & workbook. i think they also have audio for it too.

KashifB
01-31-2009, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saifur-Rahmaan
:salamext:

About 4 years, alhamdulillaah
MashaAllah. Is that the first time round or including the revisions?

Danah
01-31-2009, 10:41 PM
another question......I have asking many in this thread sorry :blind:

when u revise what u memorized, how much u revise a day?
and did u do your revision every day?

Al-Hanbali
01-31-2009, 10:47 PM
MashaAllah. Is that the first time round or including the revisions?
First-time, with some revision.

another question......I have asking many in this thread sorry

Should be at least 1 Juz minimum...so you'd be completing 1 Qur'aan each month. Some people do upto 3 juz while others do 1/4 Juz....really depends on the individual.

KashifB
02-01-2009, 01:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saifur-Rahmaan
First-time, with some revision.

Should be at least 1 Juz minimum...so you'd be completing 1 Qur'aan each month. Some people do upto 3 juz while others do 1/4 Juz....really depends on the individual.
I used to do half para.

AnonyMouse~
02-09-2009, 09:19 PM
wow mashaAllah theres some really brilliant brothers and sisters here haha

i was calculating how long it wud take me to memorize al baqara n it was about 11.5 months so i decided to start on a different surah first D:

Umm Safiya
02-28-2009, 10:44 PM
another question......I have asking many in this thread sorry :blind:

As-salaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaah

It's good to revise atleast 1 juzz per day inshaa Allaah.. You can do that in less than an hour, some in half of an hour, depends on how fast you read :)

Just make sure to have a certain time for it, so you don't forget and don't let anybody ruin your schedule.. Maybe before you go to bed or in the morning after fajr :)

:thankyou::peace:

KashifB
02-28-2009, 11:04 PM
After Fajr is a good time to revise I think. When I used to learn, I personally found it easier to memorise in the morning probably because my brain had a good rest while sleeping.

Danah
03-03-2009, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Safiya
As-salaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaah

It's good to revise atleast 1 juzz per day inshaa Allaah.. You can do that in less than an hour, some in half of an hour, depends on how fast you read :)

Just make sure to have a certain time for it, so you don't forget and don't let anybody ruin your schedule.. Maybe before you go to bed or in the morning after fajr :)

:thankyou::peace:
jazaki allah khair sis

I am finding it extremly hard to even memorise these days while going to university...my time table is awful and I come back home late and exhausted so I cant do any memorization or revision
I tried to recap at weekends

currently I am memorizing four lines a day....this is the best I can do with so much study I have to do

I am planning to do a revision, will try to make it 1/4 juzz a day or even at weekend days.....at least this will be better than nothing

I am trying to set a perfect schedule for the summer vacation since I will be done with studying

After Fajr is a good time to revise I think. When I used to learn, I personally found it easier to memorise in the morning probably because my brain had a good rest while sleeping.
yeah....will do this at summer inshaAllah....because these days I go to sleep again after fajar and wake up at 7 to go to Uni....because its hard to wake up from fajar and not sleep after salat then spend all the day at uni and come back home late.

BlackMamba
03-03-2009, 10:33 PM
If u really want to finish then take a semester off from university. I know someone thats doing that right now and its working pretty good for him. He's just taking one class so he isnt taken out from the college.

Danah
03-04-2009, 04:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shakoor15
If u really want to finish then take a semester off from university. I know someone thats doing that right now and its working pretty good for him. He's just taking one class so he isnt taken out from the college.
no I am fine because this semester will be the last on Uni inshaAllah....so I am prepared to start the hard work at this summer inshaAllah, I cant wait though...just make duaa for me bro

saba muslimah
03-04-2009, 04:57 AM

I completed my Hifz in a much longer time than you guys did... that's because I started REALLY young lol, around 8 or 9. I finished when in 2007, alhamdulillah. :)

MashaAllah "U all Hafiz give The Gold Crown in Jannh to ur Parents"

saba muslimah
03-04-2009, 05:06 AM
MashAllah..!
I also want to Hifz Quran But i like to memorize with Tajweed....!!

but I m 22 yr...for me isn't it easy or hard to learn???

N Also tell me from which JUZ u startd to learn??...which time is perfect to remind easily Quranic verses??

Should i learn with help of Aalima/ Hafiza or at Home..?

sudais1
03-04-2009, 05:16 AM
3 1/2 years. Including revision.

Be sure that you do your revision as you memorize, for example, memorize two three whatever pages a day, recite that, then do revision on the juz that you are memorizing, so that juz is good. then do revision on 1 part of the quran every night. Thats how I did it :)

saba muslimah
03-04-2009, 05:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sudais1
3 1/2 years. Including revision.

Be sure that you do your revision as you memorize, for example, memorize two three whatever pages a day, recite that, then do revision on the juz that you are memorizing, so that juz is good. then do revision on 1 part of the quran every night. Thats how I did it :)
JazakAllah dear brother
:smile:

Khalil_Allah
03-11-2009, 03:49 AM
wow this thread is like super inspiring. MashaAllah

AabiruSabeel
03-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Completed at age 13, Alhamdulillah

KashifB
03-11-2009, 11:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
Completed at age 13, Alhamdulillah
MashaAllah, what age did you start?

AabiruSabeel
03-11-2009, 12:17 PM

It is a custom in our family, and our locality that all children start hifz as soon as they are able to start speaking, normally even before they start going to school. I had started too, but then when I joined school, it was going on very slow. When I reached the 7th class, I had completed nearly 8 juz. Then I was dropped from school for one year to complete the hifz, which was completed just before Ramadhan that year, Alhamdulillah.
I gave my 8th class exam from open school, and then joined 9th class as regular student, the next year.

Later, my younger brother followed the same.

KashifB
03-11-2009, 12:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
... It is a custom in our family, and our locality that all children start hifz as soon as they are able to start speaking, normally even before they start going to school....
That's very interesting. If you don't mind me asking, where are you from brother?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.