/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Turkish prime minister storms out of Gaza debate

yasin ibn Ahmad
01-30-2009, 12:31 AM
:sl:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/davos/7859417.stm

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/eu...rap/index.html

At least there is one leader who can speak up the truth.I am proud of Recep Tayyib Erdoğan.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
01-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Turkish prime minister storms out of Gaza debate

DAVOS, Switzerland (AFP) – Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan stormed out of a heated debate on the Gaza war with Israel's President Shimon Peres at the World Economic Forum on Thursday.

In some of the most dramatic moments seen at the normally restrained Davos meetings, Erdogan marched off in front of UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and other panel members complaining that his comments on the conflict were cut short.

"I do not think I will be coming back to Davos after this because you do not let me speak," the prime minister shouted as he left, though he said later he could reconsider.

Erdogan criticised the audience of international officials and corporate chiefs for applauding Peres's emotional defence of Israel's war against Hamas in Gaza, which left more than 1,300 Palestinians dead.

Erdogan, who leads one of the few Muslim countries to have diplomatic relations with Israel and who has sought a peacemaker's role in the Middle East conflict, said Israel had carried out "barbarian" actions in Gaza.

"I find it very sad that people applaud what you have said because many people have been killed," he shouted at Peres before being halted by the moderator, Washington Post journalist David Ignatius.

"We can't start the debate again we just don't have time," Ignatius pleaded as he remonstrated with the Turkish premier.

Peres, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1994 for his efforts to reconcile with Yasser Arafat's Palestine Liberation Organisation, had insisted that Israel had been forced into the offensive against Hamas by thousands of rockets and mortars fired into Israel.

"The tragedy of Gaza is not Israel, it is Hamas," said Peres. "They created a dictatorship. A very dangerous one."

Pointing a finger at Erdogan he said Turkey would have done the same if rockets had been fired at Istanbul.

Ban, Erdogan, Arab League secretary general Amr Mussa and Peres were sat alongside each other for the debate. All gave long impassioned statements on the conflict.

The UN secretary-general had called on Israel to end its blockade of Gaza, for Hamas to end its violence and for renewed Arab efforts to bring together divided Palestinian groups.

He had earlier launched an international appeal for more than 600 million dollars to buy emergency supplies for Gaza.

Erdogan and Peres spoke by telephone after the debate and the 85-year-old Israeli president apologised for the events, Turkey's Anatolia news agency reported.

Erdogan had led efforts to mediate between Israel and Syria just before the Gaza war, which he has repeatedly criticised.

"I am a leader in this world who says that anti-Semitism is a crime against humanity. I said this the very first day I became prime minister and before that as well," Erdogan said defending himself against criticism made by Jewish groups.

He complained after Peres was given 25 minutes to speak in the debate while he had only 12 minutes.

As politics overshadowed the Davos debate on the economic crisis, British Foreign Secretary David Miliband and finance minister Alistair Darling pulled out of the Davos meetings.

"It was decided that, as a number of people he (Darling) was due to meet had pulled out, his time would be better spent doing other things in the UK," a Treasury spokesman told AFP.

Several top bankers have pulled out of the meeting and no senior policymakers from the new US administration of President Barack Obama attended. British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who is to host an international summit on the global economic crisis in April, will still attend the Davos meetings.

Obama's envoy, Valerie Jarrett, told the forum on Thursday that the new Democrat president believes the crisis was caused by "an era of profound irresponsibility by government and business, both in the United States and around the globe."
Jarrett said "financial regulatory reform" was one of the top priorities of the new administration and that Obama would take "aggressive and extraordinary action."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090129...zadebateturkey

dostpost
01-30-2009, 09:01 AM
DAVOS, Switzerland (CNN) -- Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan returned home to a hero's welcome on Friday, a day after storming offstage during an angry exchange with Israeli President Shimon Peres at the Word Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

Thousands of people lined up at Ataturk Airport in Istanbul, cheering and waving signs. A large banner read, "You Will Never Walk Alone" and other, smaller signs bore phrases including "Davos Conqueror."

People were also seen waving Turkish and Palestinian flags and throwing flowers on the road leading to Erdogan's home. Despite the glowing response at the airport, there has been some criticism in Turkish media of Erdogan's exchange with the Israeli president.

Erdogan explained whom he was directing his anger at during a news conference at the airport.

"My words were only to the Israeli government, not the Israeli people," Erdogan said.

Erdogan had been angered after Peres said that Israel is committed to peace and blamed Hamas for the fighting in Gaza, where Israel staged a three-week military operation that ended earlier this month.

When Erdogan began responding, a moderator cut him off, saying the debate had run over its allotted time. Erdogan patted the moderator on the arm until he was granted one more minute to respond.

"I know the reason behind raising your voice is because of the guilty psychology," he said to Peres. "My voice will not be that loud, you must know that."

"When it comes to killing -- you know killing very well. I know how you hit, kill children on the beaches."

He then left the stage, complaining that Peres was receiving preferential treatment.

"From now on, Davos is finished for me," Erdogan said. "I will not come back. You won't let people talk. You gave him 25 minutes, but you gave me 12 minutes. This is not right."

Erdogan had described the military campaign against Hamas fighters in Gaza as "barbaric" and accused Israel of using excessive force.

Güven
01-30-2009, 05:25 PM
i love this man :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ali.
01-30-2009, 05:32 PM
^ and rightly so. I reckon what he did was 'brave'.

I salute him!

Danah
01-30-2009, 06:02 PM
I respected this man form the early days of the war in Gaza, and now I respect him even more.....May allah reward him and make him even stronger

Silver
01-30-2009, 07:28 PM
I wish arab leaders were like him!!

Güven
01-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Media Tags are no longer supported

And at the end , Amr Moussa, who shaked hands with Erdogan was thinking whether to leave or stay. he stayed because Ban Ki-moon told him to :hmm:

Güven
01-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Thousands of Palestinians rally in Gaza in support of Turkish PM

Thousands of Palestinians on Friday attended a rally in Gaza in support of Turkey’s prime minister, who stormed out of a Gaza debate with Israel’s president.

The participants are carrying Turkish flags next to green Hamas banners and chanting slogans in support to Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan in the rally organized after Friday prayer.

In the Gaza refugee camp of Jebaliya, Turkish flags also decorate the ruins of a local mosque that was destroyed during Israel’s offensive on the Hamas enclave, AP reported.

A preacher told worshippers at an outdoor service that Erdogan "raised the head of the Islamic nation." Jalal Bin Yousef al-Sharifi called on other Muslim leaders to do the same, AP said.

During his Friday prayer sermon in Tehran, influential Iranian cleric Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani applauded the Turkish prime minister's action, saying "Mr. Erdogan made a very good move."

The Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas earlier on Friday hailed Erdogan for storming out of a debate on the Gaza war with Israel's President Shimon Peres in Davos.

"Hamas pays tribute to the courageous stand of Turkey's prime minister ... who in Davos directly defended the victims of the criminal Zionist war against our children and women in Gaza," spokesman Fawzi Barhum was quoted by AFP as saying.

"We consider his departure from the room an expression of support for the victims of the Holocaust carried out by the Zionists," he said in a statement.

Erdogan stormed out of a heated debate on the Gaza war with Israel's President Shimon Peres at the Davos forum on Thursday. He said after the incident that his reaction targeted the moderator who, he said, did not give him the floor to speak, and criticized the audience for applauding Peres's defense of the conflict against Hamas.

Senior Hamas leader Khalil al-Hayya also showered Erdogan with praise and compared him to Sultan Mehmet the Conquerer who took Constantinople in 1453, bringing an end to the Byzantine Empire.

"The Palestinian people, the resistance and Hamas salute you, Erdogan," Hayya was quoted by AFP as telling a rally in Gaza City, during his first public appearance since the end of Israel’s offensive on Gaza.

"From Gaza the victorious, we stand at your side and alongside Turkey," he said.

"You remind us of the glorious position of our Ottoman ancestors," he said citing Sultan Mehmed.

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/english/world/10890609.asp

Danah
01-30-2009, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven

And at the end , Amr Moussa, who shaked hands with Erdogan was thinking whether to leave or stay. he stayed because Ban Ki-moon told him to :hmm:
Did he even think about leaving??? I doubt :?

Güven
01-30-2009, 07:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA
Did he even think about leaving??? I doubt :?
I think he was rather confused though.

dostpost
01-30-2009, 08:29 PM
ottoman empire is reborning.....

Silver
01-30-2009, 08:39 PM
ottoman empire is reborning.....
While some might like the ottoman empire to be back, others who were under the ottoman rule don't...anw a strong muslim "Turkiye" :) is something we all want.

north_malaysian
01-30-2009, 11:44 PM
I dont mind if Erdogan becomes the leader of all Muslims...

Sayın Erdoğan, size teşekkür ederim. Diger musluman liderlerin rüyalarında bile yapmayacağı bir şey yaptınız.

Eger malazyanın başbakanı da olsanız ,inanın hiç karşı çıkmam

:awesome::awesome::awesome:

Silver
01-31-2009, 08:02 AM
I dont mind if Erdogan becomes the leader of all Muslims...
Actually, that's something I don't mind either :) I do mind the return of the ottoman empire.

Nablus
01-31-2009, 11:55 AM
May Allah reward u ARDOGAN
Shame on the Arab leaders bcz they still defend on Israel and protect her

VICTORY is coming but we have to be patient

thanx to every free man on this planet who says the truth

Güven
01-31-2009, 12:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
Actually, that's something I don't mind either :) I do mind the return of the ottoman empire.
May I know why ? :)

north_malaysian
01-31-2009, 12:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
May I know why ? :)
Centuries ago there were two sultanates in southeast asia which were not colonised or administered by the Turks, but claimed to be loyal to the Ottoman Empire... they still retain Turkish flag on their flags..

Sultanate of Johor in Malaysia

Aceh Darussalam (formerly known as Sultanate of Aceh) in Indonesia

There is another Sultanate in Malaysia that has Turkish flag on its flag, but I dont know if they also claimed loyalty to tht Ottoman Empire.

Sultanate of Selangor in Malaysia

Silver
01-31-2009, 12:58 PM
May I know why ?
During WWI, the ottomans fired the lebanese employees and replaced them with turks. They forced the men to work for them for free and to serve in the army.
The ottoman courts ordered the execution of many lebanese and syrian men...
The ottomans didn't allow food to enter Lebanon and they took away all the crops and gave them to their allies...
They didn't allow the people to fish or to extract salt from the sea...
There was a famine in Lebanon, people had to eat animal corpses...
Because of the famine 1 000 000 arabs died.
Diseases spread throughout the country and because the ottomans left no doctors in Lebanon (they had to serve in the ottoman army), 1/3 of the lebanese population died.

There were some turkish parties who considered arabs inferior to turks. People were not allowed to use the arabic language in courts...
Even though the arabs outnumbered the turks in the ottoman empire, there were 150 turkish members of parliament and only 60 arabs...

There are a lot of other reasons...but anw I am not opposed to a strong Turkey, I love PM Ardogan and I sincerely wish that arab leaders were more like him. I don't mind if he leads all muslims, he's a good muslim man...

Amadeus85
01-31-2009, 06:01 PM
The muslim prime minister wanted to achieve more popularity in his muslim country and he achieved it. This is the whole trick about Erdogan's speech.No more or less. After he came back to home, he reminded that Turkey is still Israel ally, and it won't change. Its just the reality of the world politics.

north_malaysian
01-31-2009, 11:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
The muslim prime minister wanted to achieve more popularity in his muslim country and he achieved it. This is the whole trick about Erdogan's speech.No more or less. After he came back to home, he reminded that Turkey is still Israel ally, and it won't change. Its just the reality of the world politics.
That's why Turkey has to be Israeli ally... so they can talk to Israel directly... as friends...

north_malaysian
01-31-2009, 11:31 PM
During WWI, the ottomans fired the lebanese employees and replaced them with turks. They forced the men to work for them for free and to serve in the army.
The ottomans didn't allow food to enter Lebanon and they took away all the crops and gave them to their allies...
Diseases spread throughout the country and because the ottomans left no doctors in Lebanon (they had to serve in the ottoman army), 1/3 of the lebanese population died.

There were some turkish parties who considered arabs inferior to turks. People were not allowed to use the arabic language in courts...
Even though the arabs outnumbered the turks in the ottoman empire, there were 150 turkish members of parliament and only 60 arabs...
I find it that many people still cant forget the history, especially those in Europe and Mid-East.

In WWII, the Japanese colonised Malaysia, killed our people, raped our girls, forced our people to speak Japanese, forced our people to eat cassavas only...no rice....

But in 1980s, when the 4th Prime Minister introduced "Looking East Policy", many Malaysians were sent to study in Japan and many Japanese companies got discount to invest in Malaysia...

Malaysians love Japanese culture so much, that they eat Sushis, watch Anime and dramas, learning Japanese, sing in Japanese, wearing kimonos for wedding, learning Aikido and Karate... and celebrate Bon Odori celebration each year...in Penang we have a grand Bon Odori celebration where Japanese and Malaysians celebrate it together...

I think Malaysians didnt care what happened in the past because it's not important... we tend to look forward...

yasin ibn Ahmad
01-31-2009, 11:47 PM

There are a lot of other reasons...but anw I am not opposed to a strong Turkey, I love PM Ardogan and I sincerely wish that arab leaders were more like him. I don't mind if he leads all muslims, he's a good muslim man...

Dear sis I havent heard of what you have written before.I cant believe it is true.But if it is true it must be during the last years of Ottoman Empire when there were not muslim(munafiqs or free masons) ruling the government.
So when people here wants the Ottomans back , they refer to defender of Islam,Ottomans and the fair Ottomans.I hope I can make myself clear.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-31-2009, 11:57 PM

Br. Eesa was in the audience:
Well, across perhaps 30-40 bodyguards when I shouted across to him in Arabic, “Jazākallāhu khayran for speaking the truth!” he turned around, and came through the crowd to give me a hug and say, “Hayyākallāh wa bārakallāhu feek!” My Turkish colleague then said to him, “May Allah be pleased with you for what you said!” to which he replied pointing to his heart, “My imān forced me to say it.”
Also see:
http://muslimmatters.org/2009/01/29/...and-walks-off/

Umar001
02-01-2009, 12:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Sayyad
Br. Eesa was in the audience:
Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem,

As-Salaamu 'Alaykum Wa Rahmatullah,

Just as a clarification it was not me. Though it would have been nice to witness this.

Side note: The Brother seems to be named Abu Eesa

Br.al-Habeshi

Amadeus85
02-01-2009, 12:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
That's why Turkey has to be Israeli ally... so they can talk to Israel directly... as friends...
Ok maybe, but You might admit that talking about the rebuild of caliphate or naming Erdogan as new leader of the muslim world, after this simply P.R action, is much too early.

Mr. Sandman
02-01-2009, 09:39 AM
I find it that many people still cant forget the history, especially those in Europe and Mid-East.

In WWII, the Japanese colonised Malaysia, killed our people, raped our girls, forced our people to speak Japanese, forced our people to eat cassavas only...no rice....

But in 1980s, when the 4th Prime Minister introduced "Looking East Policy", many Malaysians were sent to study in Japan and many Japanese companies got discount to invest in Malaysia...

Malaysians love Japanese culture so much, that they eat Sushis, watch Anime and dramas, learning Japanese, sing in Japanese, wearing kimonos for wedding, learning Aikido and Karate... and celebrate Bon Odori celebration each year...in Penang we have a grand Bon Odori celebration where Japanese and Malaysians celebrate it together...

I think Malaysians didnt care what happened in the past because it's not important... we tend to look forward...
Did the Japanese ever apologise?

Silver
02-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Dear sis I havent heard of what you have written before.I cant believe it is true.But if it is true it must be during the last years of Ottoman Empire when there were not muslim(munafiqs or free masons) ruling the government.
So when people here wants the Ottomans back , they refer to defender of Islam,Ottomans and the fair Ottomans.I hope I can make myself clear.
It is true and there are pictures to prove it. But as you mentionned, it was during the last years of the ottoman empire...
A strong Turkey that defends Islam is something I do want...

Mr. Sandman
02-01-2009, 10:06 AM

Don't forget what they did to the Armenians....

north_malaysian
02-01-2009, 10:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Swift
Did the Japanese ever apologise?
Never heard of that, but who cares, it's not important... a great majority of the oppressors and victims are already dead ....

Mr. Sandman
02-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Never heard of that, but who cares, it's not important... a great majority of the oppressors and victims are already dead ....
Many Lebanese people (especially Armenians) want an apology from Turkey...that is, I think, a significant reason why they do not admire them much....

yigiter187
02-02-2009, 04:16 PM
I am proud of you my prime minister Erdogan..
He said to Simon's face what the other Muslim leaders couldnt dare to say..

He is so brave!!

north_malaysian
02-03-2009, 07:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by yigiter187
I am proud of you my prime minister Erdogan..
He said to Simon's face what the other Muslim leaders couldnt dare to say..

He is so brave!!
Agreed!!:D

nocturnal
02-03-2009, 11:41 AM
What he did was commendable. But i think there's a difference between making a symbolic gesture at a a global economic forum and actually implementing tangible measures to add credence to his position. He should follow this through by emulating what Venezuela and Bolivia have done, which is to cut off all diplomatic ties, and infact, being a Muslim nation and the provenance of the Ottoman Empire whose defeat in the First World War facilitated the occupation, he should rescind decisively recognition of israel. That would really send a statement.

That said, i don't want to efface the lustre from what was a courageous gesture. Well done Erdogan.

yasin ibn Ahmad
02-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Erdogan and his previous party was accused of being Islamist by seculars.I am sure he would like to cut off the relations with Israel but he can't.He would be in trouble with inner politics.Whatever Erdogan and his party does or tries to do(even implies) for the benefit of Muslim and Islam , some so-called public prosecutors would sue him and his party.this is not a possibility only.It happened before in Turkey.Before he speaks out outside he should deal with the inners.

aysegul
02-03-2009, 08:21 PM
It was fantastic to watch it again again...It was such a soap opera:D

The last chapter was super!:D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.