/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Culture Vs Religion is there really a collision?

Sitara
01-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Assalam-o-allaikum everyone,

According to me culture should not coincide with the rules and regulations of our deen Islam because Islam is the way of life and rules are applied to our lives. So it means Islam is our deen and it is our culture. What do you say?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
index123
02-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Yes if islam = or less then culture then islam is not a religion to you it is a culture.

Danah
02-01-2009, 06:35 PM
sometimes culture can clash with religion.
especially these days after Mohammed peace be upon him era. There are some traditions raised and changed after the time from the prophet era until our time.....and those traditions are surely wrong to follow.....mainly some of those stupid wrong traditions can be acted by some weak hearts people who are not aware about their religion and dont know much
we as muslims have an Islamic Culture that rules our life

Intisar
02-01-2009, 06:40 PM
:sl: *Thread moved*

Erm there's definitely a clash because some cultural practises do go against Islam and some people don't want to let go of them (finding it offensive to even imply it). But it regards to Islaam being a culture, I don't really agree with that. Islaam is a religion that is a conglomeration of many different cultures, it is a way of life. You can retain your own culture whilst following the Quraan and sunnah of rasulullaah salallaah 'alayhi wasalam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Strzelecki
02-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Be that as it may, I've found most people who closely follow a culture and practise Islam at the same time wind up trying to sell their culture to other Muslims as a part of Islam. <_<

Fishman
02-01-2009, 06:49 PM
:sl:
I think that there sometimes is, yes. Especially when it comes to caste rules in India, honour killings or that malay Supremacy thing they have in Malaysia. Not to mention what goes on in Africa.

Unfortunately, certain groups pick up the idea of 'culture vs. religion' and take it too far, either by using it as a sectarian polemic or by using it to promote intolerance against cultural practices that don't clash with Islam.
As long as they don't openly go against Islam, I think that the fact that we have different cultural practices is a wonderful thing to appreciate, not something to throw up at or complain about it causing 'division'.
:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.