/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Teenager passes 23 A levels

Far7an
02-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Teenager passes 23 A levels

Student Ali Nawaz-ish has passed 23 A levels in subjects including pure mathematics, travel and tourism, and sociology.

He got 21 A grades and a B and a C.

The 18-year-old, who is now studying Computer Science at Cambridge University, said that he used to be a 'below average' student.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7863473.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
02-01-2009, 10:48 PM
he was below average ? MashaAllah!

Al-Hanbali
02-01-2009, 10:49 PM
SubhanAllaah!!, how is it even possible...I mean are there even enough hours in the day to get through all those subjects...
Allaah gives to whomsoever he wills!

IbnAbdulHakim
02-01-2009, 10:50 PM
subhanAllah i still have hope :D

o wait

12 hours each day studying.
#

no i dont loool

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd al-Baari
02-01-2009, 10:52 PM
:sl:

I'm finding GCSE's hard, :-[.

:w:

Re.TiReD
02-01-2009, 10:54 PM
I shall not complain *zips mouth shut*.... *rather, ties fingers* :phew:

noorseeker
02-02-2009, 07:56 AM
how did i guess he wore glasses

Banu_Hashim
02-02-2009, 08:36 AM
I read this earlier too... I was like whaaaaaaaaaat?! MashAllah... If I can get A's in just 3 subjects...

Caller الداعي
02-02-2009, 08:38 AM
alhamdulilah he is muslim!!

Silver
02-02-2009, 08:58 AM
That's great!!!
All of you who said that you can't get As, you will never know unless you try... This teenager was a below average student and then he got 21 As. He studied 12 hours a day!!! He is a living proof that you can achieve anything you set your mind to...

crayon
02-02-2009, 09:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
12 hours each day studying. :X
:eek:

:uuh:

That is insane.
I would go nuts.
Literally.

:uuh:

m102313
02-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Masha'allah that's brilliant.

I'm not sure he needed to do 24 A-Levels to do Computer Science at Cambridge, he probably could've got in easily with quarter the amount.

aamirsaab
02-02-2009, 12:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
12 hours each day studying. :X
I don't even play video games for that long!

Kudos to the guy though.

Güven
02-02-2009, 12:11 PM
12 hours ?? each day ? thats not....normal :skeleton:

How does he do that ? its impossible !

12 HOURS!

thats like...84 hours in a week:offended:

*Yasmin*
02-02-2009, 12:20 PM
when i study 12 hrs a day i feel like i'll die
he must be a genius:ermm:
Ma shaa' ALLAH

Re.TiReD
02-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Hmmm. *thinks*

We could actually do that ya know. Wake at fajr and sleep at midnight...thats 18 hours. Use 6 for eating, talking, erm....whatever it is people do and use the rest for study.

Hmm ... Hmmm

I need to use more of my brain anyway its getting rusty, *thinks of an action plan* ima use more of my time to study and for ibaadah insha'Allah

Silver
02-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Hmmm. *thinks*

We could actually do that ya know. Wake at fajr and sleep at midnight...thats 18 hours. Use 6 for eating, talking, erm....whatever it is people do and use the rest for study.

Hmm ... Hmmm
Yes, we can do that!! Studying 12 hours a day is something I do a lot!!! During the exams, i study for more than 12 hours a day, sometimes I only get 4 or 5 hours of sleep...

Re.TiReD
02-02-2009, 02:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
Yes, we can do that!! Studying 12 hours a day is something I do a lot!!! During the exams, i study for more than 12 hours a day, sometimes I only get 4 or 5 hours of sleep...
Thing is, I slept at midnight yesterday and had to wake at half 5...sounds almost like ur schedule, trouble is...I did not study at all :ermm: I think its more about discipline then anything else :-[

Silver
02-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Thing is, I slept at midnight yesterday and had to wake at half 5...sounds almost like ur schedule, trouble is...I did not study at all I think its more about discipline then anything else
Hahaha...well it happens to me too!! :D Sometimes I wake up and I say to myself I'm gonna study this and that...and I end up doing nothing!!! But it's ok..

The Ruler
02-02-2009, 10:18 PM
I wonder if he has an extremely bad social life. Hmmm.

Besides, why try so hard to be exceptional when you can do the same with less hours of books and more hours of fun? Tch.

chacha_jalebi
02-02-2009, 10:24 PM
do not quote me on this, but i do believe i was this guys tutor, thus his success :embarrass

The Ruler
02-02-2009, 10:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
do not quote me on this, but i do believe i was this guys tutor, thus his success :embarrass
He must've had a tough time succeeding.

Yanal
02-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Yo there's barely 8 hours when I come from school to study. In 8 hrs after school I got to sleep. I'm gonna study 5 hrs.
So he still got a C.

Pen Marks
02-03-2009, 01:04 AM
i'm getting a headache just thinking about that :heated: 12 hours? subhanallah, and i can't even study 3 hours straight without loosing my attention eventually

and i have a biology exam tommorow imsad Inshallah i pass

Re.TiReD
02-03-2009, 06:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
Dont quote you on it? ;D

Banu_Hashim
02-04-2009, 12:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mu'minah421
i'm getting a headache just thinking about that :heated: 12 hours? subhanallah, and i can't even study 3 hours straight without loosing my attention eventually

and i have a biology exam tommorow imsad Inshallah i pass
InshAllah. How did your Biology exam go?

TrueStranger
02-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Masha'Allah.

I would love to see his schedule.

Na7lah
02-04-2009, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
InshAllah. How did your Biology exam go?
she exceeded walhamdulillah :D

syilla
02-04-2009, 03:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah421
MashaAllah :D

May Allah make us all exceeded in whatever we are doing...ameen

Banu_Hashim
02-04-2009, 06:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah421
Alhamdulilah :D. Well Done! (to her :p)

Al-Hanbali
02-04-2009, 12:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mu'minah421
Some people can't even study half an hour straight w/o losing concentration (like me)!"

8am-9pm just doing exams !!!

Believer_786
02-12-2009, 02:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saifur-Rahmaan
Some people can't even study half an hour straight w/o losing concentration (like me)!"

8am-9pm just doing exams !!!

Ma'shAllaah, haha so true, but I've forced trained myself into a geek :D

Muhammad
02-28-2009, 01:37 PM

Masha'Allaah, what an achievement! Just saw this now.

Where does it say he studied for 12 hours? Or was it in the video?

What if he's a member on LI!

Uthman
02-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Mashaa'Allah this is truly an exceptional feat. Not to take anything away from this brother, but I wonder about the extent to which this will give him an advantage over other applicants in the job world where many, if not most employers value experience over qualifications.

Then again, I should imagine that a degree at Cambridge is enough to secure any job you apply for, regardless of your experience.

In any case, I pray that Allah makes this brother successful both in his deen and in the dunya.

Al-Zaara
02-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Cambridge looks awesome in the papers.

InshaAllah he'll have a good life and will benefit from his strength to concentrate and study hard!

He reminds me of my father's cousin and my own cousin, that's how they studied/study. Dad's female cousin became a doctor in the USA and my male cousin is off to Austria to become a doctor.

ghengis
02-28-2009, 07:33 PM
,,,lol... when i first heard this i thought what an idiot!!

u dont need that many a's to get in to cambridge. he kinda wasted his time in my opinion....(unless he did it for the pleasure of allah) :D

time is important for us muslims.... so much effort for dunya.... (sigh...)... and i am i a dr myself. ...

study the quran... there may be no medals or awards handed out by society but just do everything for the pleasure of allah :cry:

... but fair enough... he has great self discipline and concentration... memory etc...

m102313
02-28-2009, 07:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ghengis
,,,lol... when i first heard this i thought what an idiot!!

u dont need that many a's to get in to cambridge. he kinda wasted his time in my opinion....(unless he did it for the pleasure of allah) :D

time is important for us muslims.... so much effort for dunya.... (sigh...)... and i am i a dr myself. ...

study the quran... there may be no medals or awards handed out by society but just do everything for the pleasure of allah :cry:

... but fair enough... he has great self discipline and concentration... memory etc...
Yeah i agree, he could've utilized he's time even better looking at how fast learner he is, maybe do hifz alongside 7-8 a-levels (which is still excellent because most people do max of 5-6 a-levels and still he could've got into cambridge easily). Looking at the talent allah has given him, he could've done better for the akhirah, but still it's not over he can do alot as he is still young.

Vito
02-28-2009, 08:42 PM
Well as you can see, its all in the studying. Everyone has the potential. Its probably overkill for computer science but, I still say good for him :thumbs_up I wouldn't go as far as to saying hes an idiot either because if you think about it, most people, if given that kind of free time, would end up wasting it on stuff for entertainment (talking with friends, watching tv, listening to music, sitting on the couch staring at the wall, etc.), while he "wasted" his time getting an education. Besides, who are we to judge? I don't see it mention anything about him as far as religion goes.

Tara x
03-05-2009, 11:12 PM
I find 4 A levels hard.....:S
Mashallah clever dude x

~Raynn~
03-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Yeahh, he most definitely didn't need 23 for cambridge; it was for himself more than anything, I suppose...

But wow...when there are people that can achieve that...intimidating, but kinda inspiring.

God-is-great
03-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Mashallah, this guy must be a genius
12 HOURS of studying!!
For me, that’s impossible
Besides, I’m the kind of person who studies at the last minute
and still manage to get an A or B Alhamdulillah
I’ve tried to study couple of days before the test.
When I did that I ended up with a C on my test
But somehow if I study the night before the test, I end up with an A or B
strange ^o)

Silver
03-11-2009, 05:55 AM
Mashallah, this guy must be a genius
12 HOURS of studying!!
For me, that’s impossible
Besides, I’m the kind of person who studies at the last minute
and still manage to get an A or B Alhamdulillah
I’ve tried to study couple of days before the test.
When I did that I ended up with a C on my test
But somehow if I study the night before the test, I end up with an A or B
strange
Haha I was like that when i was in school!

Muezzin
03-11-2009, 11:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
I wonder if he has an extremely bad social life. Hmmm.

Besides, why try so hard to be exceptional when you can do the same with less hours of books and more hours of fun? Tch.
'I'm not bitter'

Musaafirah
03-15-2009, 10:23 AM
I have renewed hope!
My dissertation? All in a days work...:phew (As if!)

Uthman
03-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Here is another one:

Boy, 8, sets A-level maths record

Asian Muslim again. :D

wth1257
03-15-2009, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
Teenager passes 23 A levels

Student Ali Nawaz-ish has passed 23 A levels in subjects including pure mathematics, travel and tourism, and sociology.

He got 21 A grades and a B and a C.

The 18-year-old, who is now studying Computer Science at Cambridge University, said that he used to be a 'below average' student.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7863473.stm
What is "A Level"?

wth1257
03-15-2009, 07:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Here is another one:

My family is half German

We used to be the smart people:cry:

I knew a girl name Aman. When the teacher called role an "amon" (teacher mispronounced it) she raised her hand. The teacher looked disapointed saying she thought she was getting another smart foreign Muslim girl and she just got another blong :D

Kind of harsh ^o)

Al-Zaara
03-15-2009, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
What is "A Level"?
It's the British examination you gotta take if you want to continue to University. There isn't an exact American equivalent to it.

My family is half German

We used to be the smart people:cry:

I knew a girl name Aman. When the teacher called role an "amon" (teacher mispronounced it) she raised her hand. The teacher looked disapointed saying she thought she was getting another smart foreign Muslim girl and she just got another blong :D

Kind of harsh ^o)
Gee. ^o)

The Ruler
03-15-2009, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
'I'm not bitter'
I most certainly am not.

~Raynn~
03-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Here is another one:

:eek: Woahh, that's incredible...

What is "A Level"?
Yup, they're basically the qualifications you work towards during the last two years of high school, and apply to university with...

Intisar
03-16-2009, 02:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
It's the British examination you gotta take if you want to continue to University. There isn't an exact American equivalent to it.
:sl: Well the SAT I (reasoning test) is kind of the same except it tests math, verbal reasoning and critical thinking whereas the A-Levels test more. :) But both entrance exams are used to enter into university.

Yanal
03-16-2009, 02:54 AM
A levels tend to be more optional though and you get to choose the courses.

Intisar
03-16-2009, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
A levels tend to be more optional though and you get to choose the courses.
So are the SATs, they're optional too, and you can take specific subject tests because most colleges/universities use them as a prerequisite for acceptance.

Banu_Hashim
03-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Cambridge entry level is now A*AA :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7946675.stm

Sahabiyaat
03-16-2009, 08:09 PM
why

why oh why

im going to steal his brain and eat it!

~Raynn~
03-16-2009, 08:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Cambridge entry level is now A*AA :eek:

Oh my gosh...just a matter of time before it's A*A*A*...:exhausted

They already assess candidates based on their module marks rather than just the grades, so I guess it's to be expected...*sigh*

Sahabiyaat
03-16-2009, 08:15 PM
pfttt
who wants to get into cambridge anyway! :mmokay:

~Raynn~
03-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Lol...and I guess this'll put people even more off applying...

Uthman
03-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Personally, I prefer the sound of Oxford rather than Cambridge.

Not that I've applied to either of them. Some of my friends did though and they got offers!

Whatsthepoint
03-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Cambridge, MA is even better.

Sufisticated007
03-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Personally, I prefer the sound of Oxford rather than Cambridge.

Not that I've applied to either of them. Some of my friends did though and they got offers!
Cambridge is much better..

transition?
03-16-2009, 11:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Cambridge, MA is even better.
I haven't heard of anyone taking 25 AP Classes to get into Harvard yet! Maybe 15 at the highest.

~Raynn~
03-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Cambridge is typically supposed to better at the sciences, and Oxford in humanities...

And welllll, Oxford strikes me as the snobbier, more elitist of the two...that's probably partly because, of the people that applied at our school, two got into Cambridge but no one to Oxford (even though more applied there...)

format_quote Originally Posted by transition?
I haven't heard of anyone taking 25 AP Classes to get into Harvard yet! Maybe 15 at the highest.
Lol, true, but to be honest, you can hardly compare some of these A level subjects to an AP class...

Muezzin
03-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Snobby and elitist they may or may not be, but snobby and elitist I am.

(I did not go to Oxford or Cambridge)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.