/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to live in great depression?

Chuck
02-01-2009, 11:29 PM
I fear we are heading into great depression 2, so any advice how to prepare for great depression 2?

I've already some gold and silver miners stocks, might be useful in GD2. I've stored some physical gold and silver. I'm trying to clear my debts, but this is difficult in current financial climate.

Maybe its better if we can make a to do list? Might help me and other people here.

Br. Woodrow, I'm esp looking forward to your opinion :bump1:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
02-01-2009, 11:31 PM
^ lol bro trust me no ones going to be starving

we'll survive :p

only if Allah wills of course, and by his will all things happen

Re.TiReD
02-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Oh....I thought this thread was abt summin else... :|

Inna ma'al usri yusra

Pk_#2
02-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Hello/AsalamuALaykum brother,

You do not need advice on how to live through depression, you need advice on how to combat the depression,

Why not visit my thread, 'kids say the funniest things#'

Also known as 'Your daily dose of Anti-Depressants #'

Keep shmiling, tell yourself you are NOT depressed then you won't be..

Be good, ciao.

*OK I OFFICIALLY DO NOT GET THIS THREAD AND CONCLUDE BOYS ARE WEIRD*

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
02-01-2009, 11:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pk_#2
Hello/AsalamuALaykum brother,

*OK I OFFICIALLY DO NOT GET THIS THREAD AND CONCLUDE BOYS ARE WEIRD*
LOL sis his talking about how the credit crunch is affecting UK and whilst its at the stage of economic recession right now its heading straight for economic depression

Chuck
02-01-2009, 11:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting4Iman
^ lol bro trust me no ones going to be starving

we'll survive :p

only if Allah wills of course, and by his will all things happen
I'll always try to balance risk and reward for future, and that what struck me in Quran as well.

This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear Allah;
Who believe in the Unseen, are steadfast in prayer, and spend out of what We have provided for them;
And who believe in the Revelation sent to thee, and sent before thy time, and (in their hearts) have the assurance of the Hereafter.
They are on (true) guidance, from their Lord, and it is these who will prosper.
As to those who reject Faith, it is the same to them whether thou warn them or do not warn them; they will not believe.
[2:2-6]
This attitude of mine saved me couple of times from serious troubles while other people I knew ignored and suffered.

He has created man:
He has taught him speech (and intelligence).
The sun and the moon follow courses (exactly) computed;
And the herbs and the trees - both (alike) prostrate in adoration.
And the Firmament has He raised high, and He has set up the Balance (of Justice),
In order that ye may not transgress (due) balance.
[55:02-08]

A lesson to learn from Quran which might be relevant to economic cycles:

The king (of Egypt) said: "I do see (in a vision) seven fat kine, whom seven lean ones devour, and seven green ears of corn, and seven (others) withered. O ye chiefs! Expound to me my vision if it be that ye can interpret visions."

They said: "A confused medley of dreams: and we are not skilled in the interpretation of dreams."

But the man who had been released, one of the two (who had been in prison) and who now bethought him after (so long) a space of time, said: "I will tell you the truth of its interpretation: send ye me (therefore)."

"O Joseph!" (he said) "O man of truth! Expound to us (the dream) of seven fat kine whom seven lean ones devour, and of seven green ears of corn and (seven) others withered: that I may return to the people, and that they may understand."

(Joseph) said: "For seven years shall ye diligently sow as is your wont: and the harvests that ye reap, ye shall leave them in the ear,- except a little, of which ye shall eat.
PICKTHAL: He said: Ye shall sow seven years as usual, but that which ye reap, leave it in the ear, all save a little which ye eat.

"Then will come after that (period) seven dreadful (years), which will devour what ye shall have laid by in advance for them,- (all) except a little which ye shall have (specially) guarded.

"Then will come after that (period) a year in which the people will have abundant water, and in which they will press (wine and oil)."

.... (Joseph) said: "Set me over the store-houses of the land: I will indeed guard them, as one that knows (their importance)."

hus did We give established power to Joseph in the land, to take possession therein as, when, or where he pleased. We bestow of our Mercy on whom We please, and We suffer not, to be lost, the reward of those who do good.

But verily the reward of the Hereafter is the best, for those who believe, and are constant in righteousness.

Chuck
02-01-2009, 11:57 PM
YUSUFALI: (Joseph) said: "Set me over the store-houses of the land: I will indeed guard them, as one that knows (their importance)."
PICKTHAL: He said: Set me over the storehouses of the land. Lo! I am a skilled custodian.
SHAKIR: He said: Place me (in authority) over the treasures of the land, surely I am a good keeper, knowing well.

alcurad
02-02-2009, 12:38 AM
cut unnecessary spending, get a gun..joking:)

thanks for sharing the verses. well all need reminders.

Pk_#2
02-02-2009, 12:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting4Iman
LOL sis his talking about how the credit crunch is affecting UK and whilst its at the stage of economic recession right now its heading straight for economic depression
Oh..:hiding:

In dat case Najm will love this thread! You could link him here, he has an exam today, pray he does well and doesn't slip and hurt himself. ;D

glo
02-02-2009, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
I fear we are heading into great depression 2, so any advice how to prepare for great depression 2?

I've already some gold and silver miners stocks, might be useful in GD2. I've stored some physical gold and silver. I'm trying to clear my debts, but this is difficult in current financial climate.

Maybe its better if we can make a to do list? Might help me and other people here.

Br. Woodrow, I'm esp looking forward to your opinion :bump1:
I know this is not quite the same, but eight years ago my husband had to give up his job for health reasons. Almost overnight we halved our family income.
Did we adjust? Yes, we did, but it took some rethinking and prioritising of what was necessary in our life.

I have taught myself to think first ‘Do we need this?’ – and very often the answer is ‘no’.
I sometimes ask myself ‘But do we really, really want this?’ – and even then the answer is mostly ‘no’.

We have learned to manage on less, and to be glad for the things we do have.
With a little retraining you realise just how little human beings need to get by.

Our family of four have largely managed on my part-time income for the last eight years.
In that time we have even managed to pay off the mortgage on our house.
Apart from the mortgage we have never had any credit or owned a credit card. If we cannot afford something, we just don’t get it until we can afford it!

I think people will adjust to the new financial climate. They will, because they have to!

Our parents or grandparents still understood how to tighten their belts and live frugally.
Sadly they succeeded so much in ‘wanting to make a better life for their children and grandchildren’ that most of us never had to learn to do without.
We have been taught by society that we can have what we want, when we want it …
Going on foreign holidays, driving our own cars, owning all kinds of luxury items, making regular use of leisure facilities etc are all things which prior to the 60s no generation could enjoy.
It looks like these times might be over. Perhaps it is not such a bad thing – it will teach us to reconsider the things we take for granted!

Peace :)

Far7an
02-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Just a few things I could think of:

• Make duaa to Allah to ask for barakah in your wealth.
  • Eat more daal and less meat.
  • Stay on good terms with well off siblings or relatives.

I will add more if I can think of any.

Re.TiReD
02-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Eat more daal ;D

Far7an
02-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Some more:

• Educate your children or household on how to be energy efficient. Switching off lights when leaving a room, turn off appliances when they are not in use etc.
  • Involve yourself more in what your children do. Switch off their computer games or PCs and instead read make them sit down and read stories from seerah etc.
  • Offer the children an incentive, if the electricity bill is lower this next quarter, your allowance will increase by 10%?
  • Less ready meals and no eating out at all! Cook the food at home. It'd cost you £2.50 for a burger meal in the shops. If you buy the burgers and buns you'd be able to cook 8 burgers for that price!

Woodrow
02-02-2009, 02:07 PM
I was born at the end of the "Great Depression" but the aftermath still affected us until I was about 10-12 years old.

The best advice is in the Du'as I saw posted in the earlier post.

Now my personal memories of the 1940s

I was very fortunate. We were basically an agarian family. although for a few years we lived in the city my grandparents had the family farm. we each had our own section to farm. we managed to raise nearly all of our own food. Grampa had the cows, chickens and horses (we plowed with horses).

One uncle had the fruit orchards apples, pears, peaches, plums. Another had the root vegetables carrots, potatos, etc. Another had squash, and greens like lettuce, cabbage etc. We had corn, eggplants, tomatos, etc, and raised hay for the horses. My Mom insisted that we have a flower bed also.

I do not recall ever seeing any money, luxuries like candy, soda and movies were rare and seldom seen.

glo
02-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Woodrow, it is amazing how life has changed!

Do you think people just lived like that because basically they had to?
Or were people so used to such a way of life, that they never thought differently?

At what point do you think our life style changed? And why?

Salaam

Woodrow
02-02-2009, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Woodrow, it is amazing how life has changed!

Do you think people just lived like that because basically they had to?
Or were people so used to such a way of life, that they never thought differently?
A little of both. America was more of an agarian culture then, plus being so diverse and of many cultures we learned from each other and the many language barriers helped force us to be more self reliant.
At what point do you think our life style changed? And why?
At about the time of the Korean War. The population began to grow more dependent upon the government to think and provide for us. we became a nation of expecting the nation to provide for us rather than one in which we provided for the government. By accepting aide from the government we became enslaved to big government and in turn to big business.

Salaam
Peace

Chuck
02-02-2009, 03:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
thanks for sharing the verses. well all need reminders.
Just pointing out the Islam is very practical religion like one hadith says, I don't remember the exact words, tie your camel and put trust in Allah, it is not like don't tie your camel and put trust in Allah lol if you know what I mean.

Br. Woodrow thanks for the reply. I grew up on farm, but I don't live on farm any more. I wish I was on farm again. Anyway did miners stocks helped their holders in great depression or it is just marketing gimmick?

Woodrow
02-02-2009, 03:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
Just pointing out the Islam is very practical religion like one hadith says, I don't remember the exact words, tie your camel and put trust in Allah, it is not like don't tie your camel and put trust in Allah lol if you know what I mean.

Br. Woodrow thanks for the reply. I grew up on farm, but I don't live on farm any more. I wish I was on farm again. Anyway did miners stocks helped their holders in great depression or it is just marketing gimmick?
That sounds like a gimmick. After 1929 until the 1950s stocks were not very popular here. Although some wealthy companies did help their workers by keeping them on the payroll even though there was no work to do.

Chuck
02-02-2009, 03:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
That sounds like a gimmick. After 1929 until the 1950s stocks were not very popular here. Although some wealthy companies did help their workers by keeping them on the payroll even though there was no work to do.
Miners stocks are gold and silver mining companies stocks. Maybe if they keep mining, maybe they can keep giving dividends but I don't know... I don't know anyone who lived during the great depression. But I've stocked physical gold and silver coins, and canned food lol ;D

glo
02-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Another thing you could try is to repair, reuse or recycle things.

One problem I find with mass-produced products is that they often aren’t designed to last or to be repaired.
50 years ago or so furniture, electrical good, cars etc were made to last a long time. If they broke or parts wore out, they could be repaired (and people had the skills to repair them!)
We seem to have lost much of that.

Companies don’t want us to make things last, they want us to buy another, newer, better thing ASAP!
Look at gadgets, such as Nintendo DS or mobile phones – by the time you have bought the latest product it is already outdated and a newer and better model is out! Consumerism has sold us the idea that everything needs to be new – and we have bought into it!
Keeping things, repairing things, making things last seems shabby, old-fashioned and boring to many people.

Try to get away from the idea that things need to be new to be good and functional. They don’t!

• Try to fix things whenever possible. If you don’t know how, find someone who does.
• Try to reuse things in new and different ways. For example, and old broken saucepan may make a striking plant pot.
• Swap clothes with friends, rather than throwing away and buying new. It’s fun and costs nothing!
• Take unwanted clothes and furniture to charity shops. And buy needed item whilst you are there.
• Join a local group such as ‘freecycle’ (“It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills.”)

I often find that being environmentally friendly and being frugal go very nicely hand-in-hand. (There are exceptions to that rule, but not very many)

Peace :)

alcurad
02-03-2009, 02:33 PM
bottom line: don't buy things that don't last for a while..

Musaafirah
02-03-2009, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Another thing you could try is to repair, reuse or recycle things.

One problem I find with mass-produced products is that they often aren’t designed to last or to be repaired.
50 years ago or so furniture, electrical good, cars etc were made to last a long time. If they broke or parts wore out, they could be repaired (and people had the skills to repair them!)
We seem to have lost much of that.

Companies don’t want us to make things last, they want us to buy another, newer, better thing ASAP!
I remember in a Science lesson, where the teacher was telling us about how when light bulbs were first invented the material used was built to last a good 10 years at least. Then companies and stuff took it into their heads that they weren't making money because the bulbs were lasting too long!
I think a few months back it was in the news that this lady had a fully working gas cooker that she had from at least 60 years ago!
You're completely right about things not being built to last any more. :(

alcurad
02-03-2009, 03:04 PM
^wouldn't it depend on how it was used though?
also, we have much more complex systems in place now than in the previous century.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.