/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Leopard VS crocodile

~Taalibah~
02-02-2009, 02:36 PM
The astonishing spectacle of a leopard savaging a crocodile has been captured for the first time on camera.

A series of incredible pictures taken at a South African game reserve document the first known time that a leopard has taken on and defeated one of the fearsome reptiles.

The photographs were taken by Hal Brindley, an American wildlife photographer, who was supposed to be taking pictures of hippos from his car in the Kruger National Park.

The giant cat raced out of cover provided by scrub and bushes to surprise the crocodile, which was swimming nearby.

A terrible and bloody struggle ensued. Eventually, onlookers were amazed to see the leopard drag the crocodile from the water as the reptile fought back.

With the crocodile snapping its powerful jaws furiously, the two animals somersaulted and grappled. Despite the crocodile's huge weight and strength, the leopard had the upper hand catching its prey by the throat.

Eventually the big cat was able to sit on top of the reptile and suffocate it.

In the past, there have been reports of crocodiles killing leopards, but this is believed to the first time that the reverse scenario has been observed.
Mr Brindley said: 'I asked many rangers in South Africa if they had ever heard of anything like this and they all said no.

'It just doesn't make sense. The meat you get out of a crocodile is just not worth the risk it takes a predator to acquire. The whole scene happened in the course of about 5 minutes. Then the leopard was gone.

'I drove away, elated in disbelief. It may have been the most amazing thing I've ever seen.'

Ellie Rose, a reptile keeper at London Zoo, said: 'Normally, crocodiles are well able to defend themselves against attack. I can't think of any examples of this happening before.'

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~Taalibah~
02-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Subhanallah, Amazing huh?

Güven
02-02-2009, 05:55 PM
WOW subhanAllah that realy is amazing , What a battle ! :eek:

'It just doesn't make sense. The meat you get out of a crocodile is just not worth the risk it takes a predator to acquire. The whole scene happened in the course of about 5 minutes. Then the leopard was gone.

Innit , I think the croc did some realy bad things :X

Mikayeel
02-02-2009, 06:00 PM
:sl:

SubhanAllah!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pk_#2
02-02-2009, 06:22 PM
SubhanAllaah,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF0Lr--K4oo

~Taalibah~
02-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Wow! That was fast! I still had intention to look it up!

Ummu Sufyaan
02-03-2009, 02:48 AM
that wud have to be one feisty big cat!

thanks 4 sharing *growl* :p :D

Donia
02-03-2009, 04:32 AM
SubhanAllah...
Wow.

waji
02-03-2009, 04:49 AM
Wow
Subhan'Allah

Gia
02-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Very exceptional and amazing, I like leopards :X I would have felt sorry if the crocodile won :giggling:

Olive
02-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Wow... that's epic man! :D

~Taalibah~
02-03-2009, 10:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gia
Very exceptional and amazing, I like leopards :X I would have felt sorry if the crocodile won :giggling:
My favorite big cat!:D

~Taalibah~
02-03-2009, 10:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
that wud have to be one feisty big cat!

thanks 4 sharing *growl* :p :D
You telling me! Every time i see the oics, i wish i was there to see it live!

Gia
02-03-2009, 01:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sabeeha
My favorite big cat!:D
Right on! :D

i wish i was there to see it live
erm ......... I envy the photographer. No hard feelings tho :bump1:

Mikayeel
02-03-2009, 07:40 PM

This type of (snow)leopard is the best looking one!!

Strzelecki
02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Subhan'Allah

~Taalibah~
02-04-2009, 03:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mikayeel

http://www.itsnature.org/Ice/images/...w_leopard1.jpg

This type of (snow)leopard is the best looking one!!
definetely! They are rare tho.

Musaafirah
02-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Oh yeah! The leopard is one of the coolest animals alive!
I think Cheetahs are cooler though. Wonder if a Cheetah would be able to beat a crocodile. Maybe they're too fast for the cameras.

Yanal
02-04-2009, 03:11 PM
SubhanAllah. Cool. But look at the crocidiles foot they look like a dummys one. Could it be that the reporter put a dummy for the leopard and he just took photos where the dumnys leg was hidden?

~Taalibah~
02-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Sorry forgot about thsi thread....
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
Oh yeah! The leopard is one of the coolest animals alive!
I think Cheetahs are cooler though. Wonder if a Cheetah would be able to beat a crocodile. Maybe they're too fast for the cameras.
Lol, i agree. Have u ever seen one in real life in nature?
I dont think a cheetah would be strong enough. Leopards are very strong and are able to drag something twice their weight up a tree.

format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
SubhanAllah. Cool. But look at the crocidiles foot they look like a dummys one. Could it be that the reporter put a dummy for the leopard and he just took photos where the dumnys leg was hidden?
I doubt the reporter would bother to risk his life and do that. Theres wild out there with real live hippos and crocs in the dam.:exhausted
Further if it were a dummy the leopard wouldn't come to it as it can smell/sense the real thing and cant be fooled by a fake.

Errm whats with the foot that makes u think its a dummy?

Raizins
02-19-2009, 03:44 PM
sub7anAllah!!

Sister_Zee
02-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Salaam,

Subhan'Allah didn't think such an event would happen. Heard the other day about a python who tried to eat a crocodile or an alligator and they ended up both dead. :x

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.