/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Magic and Astrology

Civilsed
02-02-2009, 10:32 PM
:sl:

Just thought i would share this. Very important the this unfortuntely is practiced massively in the muslim world.

Islam position on Magic and Astrolgy

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
KashifB
02-02-2009, 11:36 PM
JazakAllah

MashaAllah very good video. I would recommend it to all.

Watching the video has a raised a question in my mind though. The speaker tells of the difference between Astronomy and Astrology and says that the Astronomy is permissable whereas Astrology is not. I would like to knoe whether weather forecasting falls under the category of Astronomy or Astrology?

Civilsed
02-03-2009, 07:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KashifB
JazakAllah

MashaAllah very good video. I would recommend it to all.

Watching the video has a raised a question in my mind though. The speaker tells of the difference between Astronomy and Astrology and says that the Astronomy is permissable whereas Astrology is not. I would like to knoe whether weather forecasting falls under the category of Astronomy or Astrology?
I know i thought the same, but it depend you you follow as there is a difference of opinion. Some will say this is a type of fortune telling i.e predicting the future. Other says that Allah encourages Knowledge and this is a science therefore acceptable.

Allah know best... I personally dont bother with weather forecasts.

KashifB
02-03-2009, 01:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Civilsed
..... Allah know best... I personally dont bother with weather forecasts.....
I don't either but when you see your family/friends wanting to know what the weather is going to be like tomorrow or the weekend, what do you say to them? You can't just go with it hoping that it may be permissable.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Civilsed
02-03-2009, 04:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KashifB
I don't either but when you see your family/friends wanting to know what the weather is going to be like tomorrow or the weekend, what do you say to them? You can't just go with it hoping that it may be permissable.

Well i normally hear people at work talking about the weather and that was i will say to other i.e. I heard the guys at work say..... Alway add Allahu alim (Allah know best).

I think there is an arguement to suppot weater forecasts as i stated before, i.e knowledge and Science enable are to forecast. On that i would say that we can probably forecast for tomorrow of after tomorrow but next week or further than this i feel this this is merely predictions

Pk_#2
02-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Does weather forecasting come under the heading of astrology or claiming to know the unseen?

Praise be to Allaah.

Forecasting the weather does not come under the heading of astrology or claiming to have knowledge of the unseen, rather it is based on physical evidence and experience, and study of the natural laws established by Allaah. The same applies to knowing the times of solar and lunar eclipses, or when there are likely to be strong winds and rainfall.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah: The time of solar and lunar eclipses may be known from calculating the movements of heavenly bodies, from which it may also be known whether the eclipse will be total or partial. There is nothing strange about that, because this is not a matter of the unseen for everyone, rather it is only “unseen” for those who have no knowledge of astronomy and it is not “unseen” for those who have knowledge of this science. That does not mean that solar and lunar eclipses are not among the signs of Allaah with which He instils fear in His slaves so as to bring them back to their Lord and to obedience to Him.

It also says:

Forecasting the weather and predicting strong winds and storms or saying where clouds are expected to form or where rain is likely to fall is based on knowledge of the natural laws of Allaah. One who has experience of these laws may say what he expects to happen, without certain knowledge, on the basis of scientific theories or common experience, so he expects that and predicts it on the basis of likelihood, not certain knowledge, and he gets it right sometimes and gets it wrong sometimes. End quote from Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The one who speaks of that which may be worked out by calculations is not a fortune-teller at all, because there is no element of fortune-telling in that which may be worked out by calculations. If a person predicts a solar or lunar eclipse, this is not fortune-telling because it is worked out by calculations. If he says that the sun will set at a 20-degree angle at such and such a time, this is not knowledge of the unseen, because it is something that may be worked out by calculations, and predicting something that can be worked out by calculation, even if it is in the future, is not regarded as being knowledge of the unseen, or fortune-telling.

Is twenty-four hour weather reporting such as we have now fortune-telling?

The answer is no, because it is also based on scientific data which is describing climatic conditions, because climatic conditions have to do with precise measurements that are known to them. Thus they may predict that certain conditions are likely to produce rain or not. That is like the primitive predication that we make when we see clouds forming, and thunder and lightning and thick clouds, and we say: “It is going to rain soon.”

What matters is that what points to physical phenomena is not knowledge of the unseen, even if some of the common folk think that these things are matters of the unseen and say that believing in them is like believing in fortune-telling.
End quote from al-Qawl al-Mufeed Sharh Kitaab al-Tawheed.

See al-Fataawa al-Kubra by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (4/424) with regard to the knowledge of astronomers about the times of solar and lunar eclipses, the beginning of spring and winter, and other matters that may be known by means of calculations and are not matters of the unseen.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

KashifB
02-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Thank you for posting this brother, it removed the doubt I had.
JazakAllah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.