/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Interest on Savings account

simplicity786
02-03-2009, 02:45 PM
:sl:
I recently opened a savings account, before opening the account I was thinking of asking my bank if I could have a interest free account as interest on money is Haram. Then someone told me I should get the interest the bank is offering and give it to the poor, although there will be no reward for me the less fortunate will benefit from this.

I opened the savings account with interest but im not at peace with my heart, need some advice wether it is acceptable for me to take the interest and pass it onto the poor or wether i should cancel the interest all together.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
02-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Dont take the interest. That is Riba.
Riba is Haram. So, money from Riba is 'Haram money'.
Dont give a 'Haram money' to the poor.

Mi Le Xing
02-03-2009, 05:50 PM
I can't imagine a bank would have a problem not giving you the interest on your account, after all it would save them money.

S1aveofA11ah
02-03-2009, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by simplicity786
I recently opened a savings account, before opening the account I was thinking of asking my bank if I could have a interest free account as interest on money is Haram. Then someone told me I should get the interest the bank is offering and give it to the poor, although there will be no reward for me the less fortunate will benefit from this.

I opened the savings account with interest but im not at peace with my heart, need some advice wether it is acceptable for me to take the interest and pass it onto the poor or wether i should cancel the interest all together.
I wrote to my (UK) bank about 10 years ago just requesting they do not make any interest payments and they did so, problem free. Just write a kind letter.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
peaceandlove
02-03-2009, 06:00 PM

Well brother i why don't you open account in Islamic bank. I personally don't know much about it but what read in newspaper and television is that they give halal profit. So if you are satisfied that the bank is given you halal profit then you can also donate this profit.

glo
02-03-2009, 06:36 PM
How is profit an Islamic bank gives different from interest?

Donia
02-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Wa alaikum asalaam.

Sister if you have a choice then it is better to open the account that does not acquire interest.
Be thankful that you had a choice. Some banks only offer savings with interest. =/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.