/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Stupid mistakes in Maths. Help !!!

usman2468
02-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Plz help me.
I m doing my A Levels and maths is my favorite subject. Alhamdulillah my maths concepts are very good and I can do in five minutes, questions that take 10-15 mins normally and I can do several questions mentally which my friends have to solve on paper.....

But I don't no why I keep making very stupid mistakes. When it comes to tests I just cannot avoid silly mistakes. Only I gave a test and forgot a square root sign and in a question I found volume instead of area.

I have tried everything. Solving questions very slowly. Reading questions twice. Double checking answers. Where possible substituting the answer back in original equations. But nothing seems to work. Is it some sort of a psycological disorder cuz I also keep forgetting simple things like a chore my mom asked me to do ?

I m desperate and need some good advice. Plz help me. I don't want to get bad marks in my exams.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*Yasmin*
02-04-2009, 01:55 PM
i really don't know if it's a kinnda of disorder or summin like dt , but sometimes fo different reasons like leaving ma mind at home ! when i do exams
i do have this prob. so i know what r u talkin about
once , i did verrrrrrrrrry ridiculous mistake , like 2+3=6 ^o)? and once while i'm at home and very relax , i was solving a q. math, and it just doesn't work the answer is wrong although i try solving it again and again i got the same wrong , but after 1 or 2 hrs (Math is ma favorite sub. too so i can't leave a q. unsolved) i discovered that i missed a lil thing.:?
so from ma experience wid Math.maybe i can tell u that's nothin wrong wid u to get Stupid mistakes
just keep praying for God to help u ,
and ask da Adviser at school, i think he/she can help.

btw. don't be desperate , take it easy Brother
i hope for u the Best
peace

Danah
02-04-2009, 05:56 PM
I was exactly like u in a specific period of my studying....

1. Do review what u study very well before entering the exam?

2. Do you feel so nervous when u enter the exam hall?

3. Are u the kind of people who study only when the exams are coming?

Musaafirah
02-04-2009, 06:00 PM
A possibly helpful tip. From your post you say that you can do mental maths capably right?
In order to avoid silly mistakes, ensure that you write out the answer to the problem step by step. It'll help you to realise if an answer seems wrong. For example with simple equations you take for granted in your head, you may miss them, but if they're written down on the paper, you see everything, you can go backwards.
General advice, try reading Surah Qalam and then blow onto the pen you'll use for your exam, just before the exam. I was told to do that by a teacher in my school and Masha'allah it did help out.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crayon
02-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Ahh, I'm the exact same, more so when I was younger though.
For me, it was because I never rechecked my paper when I finished, I was always in a rush to finish and hand it in.
I've found that redoing each question (reDOING, not reCHECKING), without looking at my final answer the first time, really helps.
Also, reading the question carefully to figure out what they want (volume instead of area, that sort of thing).
Going slower.
Inshallah it'll work out.:)

Whatsthepoint
02-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Heed Crayon's words for they are wise.

waji
02-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Brother what i think
you need to practice alot
and never mentally do question of maths it is a wrong practice
crayon sister advice is also good

*Yasmin*
02-04-2009, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
General advice, try reading Surah Qalam and then blow onto the pen you'll use for your exam, just before the exam. I was told to do that by a teacher in my school and Masha'allah it did help out.
just im curious
is there an authentic hadith 4 the above?

transition?
02-05-2009, 02:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Ahh, I'm the exact same, more so when I was younger though.
For me, it was because I never rechecked my paper when I finished, I was always in a rush to finish and hand it in.
I've found that redoing each question (reDOING, not reCHECKING), without looking at my final answer the first time, really helps.
Also, reading the question carefully to figure out what they want (volume instead of area, that sort of thing).
Going slower.
Inshallah it'll work out.:)
:sl:

the same. but I still rush to turn it in. :exhausted

I've never tried that way specifically.

good advice.

Yanal
02-05-2009, 03:00 AM
I may not be doing A levels,but on my math exam I made careless copying mistakes to the answer sheet.

cute123
02-05-2009, 04:38 AM
do it in peace and slowly.

crayon
02-05-2009, 10:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?

the same. but I still rush to turn it in. :exhausted

I've never tried that way specifically.

good advice.
Lol, I still rush, I never could totally stop. I've been this way ever since I was a kid.. I used to rush my coloring, for God's sake.:p On my report cards, it's always like "she's an excellent student but she NEEDS TO SLOW DOWN".:p
Slowness bores me.
But it's less than before, alhamdullilah, something more manageable.

Abdu-l-Majeed
02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by usman2468
Plz help me.
I m doing my A Levels and maths is my favorite subject. Alhamdulillah my maths concepts are very good and I can do in five minutes, questions that take 10-15 mins normally and I can do several questions mentally which my friends have to solve on paper.....

But I don't no why I keep making very stupid mistakes. When it comes to tests I just cannot avoid silly mistakes. Only I gave a test and forgot a square root sign and in a question I found volume instead of area.

I have tried everything. Solving questions very slowly. Reading questions twice. Double checking answers. Where possible substituting the answer back in original equations. But nothing seems to work. Is it some sort of a psycological disorder cuz I also keep forgetting simple things like a chore my mom asked me to do ?

I m desperate and need some good advice. Plz help me. I don't want to get bad marks in my exams.
As-Salamu alaykum!

http://www.islamtoday.com/showme_wee...sub_cat_id=676

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/books/75

My tips would be: practice home a lot. Almost all teachers give tests that can be solved 100% in the prescribed time, so you have no need to do anything in your head. Keep an eye on your mistakes, if you see some mistakes repeating, then correct them home, and practice the right way a lot. E.g. if you tend to write sqrt (-25) = -5, then, practice that home. Also, pay attention how you check the asnwers. It happens to me sometimes that I only read the whole answer again. That's a mistake, and one should after each step, no matter how simple it is, ask oneself: "Is this OK? How is this OK? Why is this OK?"

usman2468
02-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all the tips...
Some ppl r suggesting that I need to practice but practice dont seem to work. I do alot of questions before a test and mostly they all work out fine. Also my maths paper is all add maths which I gave in O levels and got an A.

Some1 here asked abut nervousness. I think that may be the problem cuz right before the paper I become very tense and sometimes my mind even goes blank for a short period. I'd really appreciate if any1 got tips to avoid this.

*Yasmin*
02-05-2009, 11:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by usman2468

Some1 here asked abut nervousness. I think that may be the problem cuz right before the paper I become very tense and sometimes my mind even goes blank for a short period. I'd really appreciate if any1 got tips to avoid this.
read this:
http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...-pressure.html

the same was happening with me,
Brother i really think the Adviser in your school can help you, this is why they are in schools.

transition?
02-06-2009, 01:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Lol, I still rush, I never could totally stop. I've been this way ever since I was a kid.. I used to rush my coloring, for God's sake.:p On my report cards, it's always like "she's an excellent student but she NEEDS TO SLOW DOWN".:p
Slowness bores me.
But it's less than before, alhamdullilah, something more manageable.
lol but that's actually good.
I bet you're not a procrastinator or anything. You do things when you get it.
I can be a tad ...ermm. slow. :-[

Believer_786
02-12-2009, 02:47 AM
To top it off, you can't 'wing'/'blag' Maths imsad

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.