/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol based purfumes: Are they all intoxicating?

Tariqa
02-07-2009, 02:30 AM
Question for those.. The ones who sell this stuff wont say

Alcohol based pufumes made with everclear or enthnyl

how can we tell which ones will intoxicate?

do they all intoxicate??

if nopt then which ones are known for this effect?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
02-07-2009, 04:04 PM
None are intoxicating.. unless you choose to drink them!

The alcohol is not used as an intoxicant, but as solvent for the 'smelly stuff', for want of a better description; that is the ingredients dissolve into it just like sugar does into your coffee. Alcohol is used partly because it is a more effective solvent than water and partly because it evaporates faster from the skin after you apply the perfume, that is the perfume dries faster.

Tariqa
02-08-2009, 07:57 AM
i heard they absorb into the blood stream

Ummu Sufyaan
02-08-2009, 08:00 AM
:sl:
i thought the alcohol they add into perfumes, is made synthetically, anyway?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
02-08-2009, 01:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tariqa
I suppose small amounts might, but not with any possible intoxicating effect. I suppose it comes down to how Islam interprets 'alcohol'; I see there's another thread on that subject. If you are worried, there are water based perfumes available, as some people are sensitive or alergic to alcohol based solvents.

Woodrow
02-08-2009, 07:38 PM
No way possible. Your skin and the walls of your blood vessels are very effective barriers to ethanol alcohol. Many doctors wish it wasn't so, as that would eliminate the need for injections. You could just dissolve the meds in alcohol and spray it onto the skin.

Ethanol (the alcohol drunk as an intoxicant) is the most commonly used carrier base in perfumes, because it is the cheapest. There are other alcohols that can be used, if you desire to avoid even external ethanol, check the label and see if the alcohol is ethanol or some other alcohol.

m102313
02-08-2009, 07:54 PM
How the hell does that work ?
Alcohol cannot pass into your bloodstream just like that.

Tariqa
02-09-2009, 07:05 AM
either way the experts say they are bad choices because theuy are toxic hazards...

Woodrow
02-09-2009, 02:45 PM
either way the experts say they are bad choices because theuy are toxic hazards...
What constitutes an expert? Who are the experts? What are they experts in?

Just as a weed is a flower growing in the wrong place, a toxic hazard is any product in the wrong place.

Labeling something as a toxic hazard simply means it is dangerous if misused or abused or accentually spilled etc. That does not mean it is haraam or bad.

The question that needs to be answered is if it is haraam or halal.

Tariqa
02-09-2009, 03:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
What constitutes an expert? Who are the experts? What are they experts in?

Just as a weed is a flower growing in the wrong place, a toxic hazard is any product in the wrong place.

Labeling something as a toxic hazard simply means it is dangerous if misused or abused or accentually spilled etc. That does not mean it is haraam or bad.

The question that needs to be answered is if it is haraam or halal.

Cant you use your own analyzation??

if they are toxic and they destroy people health then how could they be allowed in islam??

Woodrow
02-09-2009, 04:22 PM

if they are toxic and they destroy people health then how could they be allowed in islam??
Do you use gasoline in your automobile? Gasoline is extremely explosive with an explosive coeficient of over 10 times that of TNT. It is also highly poisonous, deadly to plants and animals if spilled etc.

How about cooking oil, it is a biohazard if spilled out in the open. If used in excess it is a cholesterol builder and leads to arteriosclerosis.

What about water? Drinking excess water can lead to death or a break down of electrolytes resulting in a condition known as water intoxication. Also excess water in terms of floods is a land/environment hazard

Now what about pure, non-perfumed soap. If ingested it will cause stomach distress and possible illness. If large quantities are dumped into the environment it can kill aquatic life.

I can go on and on. Because something is halal is no inference it is not dangerous if used to excess or misused. All things if used to excess or misused are dangerous.

m102313
02-09-2009, 05:10 PM

No Offence but... you seem to know that you know the answer, then why ask, because your not letting others?

Please remember, alcohol is not used as an intoxicant in perfumes, i really don't understand with some things you have come up with, such as alcohol passing into the bloodstream

Muezzin
02-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Attar is not alcohol-based, and it's what the Prophet (SAW) used.

So there should be no problem. :)

Tariqa
02-10-2009, 06:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Do you use gasoline in your automobile? Gasoline is extremely explosive with an explosive coeficient of over 10 times that of TNT. It is also highly poisonous, deadly to plants and animals if spilled etc.

How about cooking oil, it is a biohazard if spilled out in the open. If used in excess it is a cholesterol builder and leads to arteriosclerosis.

What about water? Drinking excess water can lead to death or a break down of electrolytes resulting in a condition known as water intoxication. Also excess water in terms of floods is a land/environment hazard

Now what about pure, non-perfumed soap. If ingested it will cause stomach distress and possible illness. If large quantities are dumped into the environment it can kill aquatic life.

I can go on and on. Because something is halal is no inference it is not dangerous if used to excess or misused. All things if used to excess or misused are dangerous.
well duh...

everyone knows that..

but that is far from the point (or should)

the point is not excess the point is perfume

they say that once you put a little bit on its bad

and when you put more of it on its worst in large amounts..

it may not be that bad in little dabs but presumebly people wear quite of bit of perfume

and also its not how much they wear but how often they wear it

wearing perfume (ab) on a daily basis could really be harmful to the health

this is not something that could happen like eating 23 apples in a day, its something that most likely will happen and that is not right.

syilla
02-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Question for those.. The ones who sell this stuff wont say

Alcohol based pufumes made with everclear or enthnyl

how can we tell which ones will intoxicate?

do they all intoxicate??

if nopt then which ones are known for this effect?
hmm...you make me wonder.

how do u know?

they said it won't go into the blood stream but why we usually spray it on the left wrists? hmm....

whether it toxic or not? but we're wearing it everyday...

i should stick with attr.

Tariqa
02-10-2009, 07:41 AM
exactly..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.