/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Registering as a Muslim

Al Qalam
02-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Which agency should new muslims contact to register as new Muslims. Is there one central agency or numerous ones based on location?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
02-08-2009, 09:21 AM
I don't think one needs to "register" as a muslim, just visiting a masjid perhaps, getting to know the people there, having them know you're a convert would suffice, methinks.

peaceandlove
02-08-2009, 11:30 AM
:sl:

After accepting Islam nobody has to register himself ,nobody needs to register at any society to prove him as a Muslim ,so just start introducing your self as a Muslim nothing else needed.

Juhaina
02-12-2009, 06:36 AM
You dont have to register, but if you want to you can. I did it at Al Azhar in Cairo.
I m sorry but i dont know where else you could go (maybe cairo is to far for you ;))

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dawud_uk
02-12-2009, 06:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Qalam
Which agency should new muslims contact to register as new Muslims. Is there one central agency or numerous ones based on location?
could i ask where you are registered yourself?

to me this however seems a silly idea, that reverts should register themselves, i am muslim because i submit to none but Allah, not because someone changes my status on a computer somewhere.

apart from anything else, the idea of the western governments having a list or all reverts is quite worrying.

Mustapha@
02-12-2009, 10:26 PM

I think that there is no need to register. to be a Muslim is just to submit yourself to Allah not to people...
Allah knows that you are Muslim...and you are registered as a Muslim in your heart :)
I do not know the policy of your country, but I think they use those regesterations only for statistics, to know the number of reverts to islam...

:w:

Dawud_uk
02-13-2009, 08:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mustapha@

I think that there is no need to register. to be a Muslim is just to submit yourself to Allah not to people...
Allah knows that you are Muslim...and you are registered as a Muslim in your heart :)
I do not know the policy of your country, but I think they use those regesterations only for statistics, to know the number of reverts to islam...

i know it is necessary in some countries to be able to marry, silly as that seems.

seghni
02-13-2009, 08:43 PM
As salamu aleikum
I didn't register as a Muslim as such but when I applied for my latest (UK) passport I checked 'Muslim' as my religion and that's what it says,al-hamdulillah..However if I go to my dh's country,Algeria,I would have to go to a government office and retake my shahada if I wished to be buried in a Muslim cemetary,should the need arise.I know of sisters who had been Muslim 17 years having to do this..Maybe other countries have similar things,who knows?..

UmmSqueakster
02-14-2009, 09:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Juhaina
You dont have to register, but if you want to you can. I did it at Al Azhar in Cairo.
I m sorry but i dont know where else you could go (maybe cairo is to far for you ;))
I did this as well, although I believe all I got was a certificate of my conversion, not a registration.

I got the certificate years after I converted just in case the Saudi government asked proof of my religion when I applied for a hajj visa. Sometimes they ask for proof from converts.

sevgi
02-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Haha...sorry, I just thought of something. Maybe we should all have certificates of Islamic recognition.

One of my bestfriends was not allowed to join her uni's muslim student's association. They didn't believe that she was muslim. She doesn't wear the hijab and she looks Asian (Not Indo-Malay Asian...obviously) so they turned her away.

She transfered to my uni...hehehe.:blind:

Sorry. But yeah.

Woodrow
02-15-2009, 03:55 PM
There is no such thing as regestering as a Muslim. Although if you need verification of proof that you are Muslim, most Imams can help get you written verification.

Being Muslim is between you and AllaaH(swt) not between you and any man.

glo
02-15-2009, 06:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
There is no such thing as regestering as a Muslim. Although if you need verification of proof that you are Muslim, most Imams can help get you written verification.

Being Muslim is between you and AllaaH(swt) not between you and any man.
What would that written verification look like?
And how can an Imam verify that somebody is a Muslim?

Salaam

Ansariyah
02-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Allah is enuff of a Witness.

Woodrow
02-16-2009, 12:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
What would that written verification look like?
And how can an Imam verify that somebody is a Muslim?

Salaam
Nobody can verify if anybody is a Muslim. However, an Imam can write a note saying that a person attends the mosque, presents himself as being Muslim and prays as a Muslim.

Muslim Woman
02-16-2009, 09:47 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Al Qalam
It is not a must for any revert Muslim to have any official document . But may be , it's safer to do so .

Few days back , a new Muslim died in an accident . Despite the request of his Muslim father & friends , US Police let his Hindu mother burn the dead body .

doorster
02-17-2009, 07:14 PM
There is no such thing as
registering as a Muslim. Although if you need verification of proof that you are Muslim, most Imams can help get you written verification.

Being Muslim is between AllaaHA ( swt) not between you and any man.
I think it is compulsory in Malaysia and now Pakistan (since takfir on Ahmadis) too

imagine you are a recruiting officer for any security service of any country and a disciple of osama/bakri comes to enlist and you do not know of what faith or what religion they are?

imagine that you are a father and your offspring wants to marry any tom dick and Harriet but you only have their word that they are of your faith, what do you do?o?

Woodrow
02-17-2009, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
I think it is compusory in Malasia and now Pakistan (since takfir on Ahmadis) too

imagine you are a recruiting officer for any security service of any country, and a desciple of osama/bakri comes to enlist and you can not find out what religion they are?

imagine that you are a father and your offspring wants to marry any tom dick and harriet but you only have their word that they are of your faith, what do you do?
I had never that of that. Here in the USA a person can not be compelled to reveal their religion.

doorster
02-17-2009, 07:24 PM
I had never thought of that. Here in the USA a person can not be compelled to reveal their religion.
do you remember the case of a young American who went to Afghanistan to fight americans?

Dawud_uk
02-18-2009, 06:13 AM
I think it is compulsory in Malaysia and now Pakistan (since takfir on Ahmadis) too

imagine you are a recruiting officer for any security service of any country and a disciple of osama/bakri comes to enlist and you do not know of what faith or what religion they are?

imagine that you are a father and your offspring wants to marry any tom dick and Harriet but you only have their word that they are of your faith, what do you do?o?
:sl: doorster,

what do you mean, i dont quite get what you are saying?

Woodrow
02-19-2009, 01:18 AM
do you remember the case of a young American who went to Afghanistan to fight americans?

I vaguely remember that. A young Canadian if memory serves me right. Seems there was also his father and an older brother. He was captured and held at Guantanamo, I believe he is now back in Canada. I am not that familiar with Canadian law, but I believe a person can be required to state their religious preference there.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.