/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Reverts to Islam: Lonely in a crowd?

Silver
02-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Reverts to Islam: Lonely in a Crowd

-Amatullah Abdullah

When we hear that someone has entered Islam, we often ask .How did you accept Islam? . We also say Al hamdulilah (All praises are due to Allah alone) when someone says they have reverted to Islam, Right? These remarks show that we are heartened to see someone accepting the Truth!

Life is not easy for any believer. Life is a test!, a Jihad (struggle), for every believer whether you are a "born" Muslims or reverts to Islam.

As for reverts to Islam they undergo a great struggle. The moment they declare their faith (Islam), most of them lose their loved and dear ones. Their old friends refuse to accept their new lifestyle and new faith. Some of them tend to lose their family who are unable to digest the fact that they have embraced Islam. Whenever I hear a revert saying, "I love my parents so much… my family showered and lavished me with affection until I embraced Islam. My family’s attitude towards me is causing me much pain that sometimes I even think of leaving Islam, then Allah would shower His mercy on me that I would be reminded that this is a test and this World is just a temporary abode... and I would say 'I should not fail this test and Allah, The Most Merciful will shower His mercy and blessing on me and my family...'" The pain which, reverts to Islam undergo is something which cannot be felt unless we are in their shoes.

During this time it our duty as brothers and sisters in Islam to lush them with friendship, brotherhood, love, kindness, affection, etc. To the contrary we find some of our brothers and sisters in Islam (who are born into a Muslim family) cause our new brothers and sisters much ache in their heart, by being prejudiced, intolerant and proud. [..]

One sister said, “I just don't feel lonely but excluded, when I am among Muslims. I would be sitting for hours listening to relatives talk in Urdu. They know I don't understand but still they continue to do that.”

http://writerinislam.blogspot.com/20...-in-crowd.html

Since there are a lot of reverts on this forum, I was wondering how many of you felt that born-muslims were treating you as inferior or different? Were you welcomed by born-muslims or not? How hard was it reverting to islam?
I personally admire reverts and I like reading their stories because they strengthen my faith. I find it weird and surprising that some born-muslims discriminate against reverts.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sevgi
02-08-2009, 11:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
Reverts to Islam: Lonely in a Crowd

-Amatullah Abdullah

When we hear that someone has entered Islam, we often ask .How did you accept Islam? . We also say Al hamdulilah (All praises are due to Allah alone) when someone says they have reverted to Islam, Right? These remarks show that we are heartened to see someone accepting the Truth!

Life is not easy for any believer. Life is a test!, a Jihad (struggle), for every believer whether you are a "born" Muslims or reverts to Islam.

As for reverts to Islam they undergo a great struggle. The moment they declare their faith (Islam), most of them lose their loved and dear ones. Their old friends refuse to accept their new lifestyle and new faith. Some of them tend to lose their family who are unable to digest the fact that they have embraced Islam. Whenever I hear a revert saying, "I love my parents so much… my family showered and lavished me with affection until I embraced Islam. My family’s attitude towards me is causing me much pain that sometimes I even think of leaving Islam, then Allah would shower His mercy on me that I would be reminded that this is a test and this World is just a temporary abode... and I would say 'I should not fail this test and Allah, The Most Merciful will shower His mercy and blessing on me and my family...'" The pain which, reverts to Islam undergo is something which cannot be felt unless we are in their shoes.

During this time it our duty as brothers and sisters in Islam to lush them with friendship, brotherhood, love, kindness, affection, etc. To the contrary we find some of our brothers and sisters in Islam (who are born into a Muslim family) cause our new brothers and sisters much ache in their heart, by being prejudiced, intolerant and proud. [..]

One sister said, “I just don't feel lonely but excluded, when I am among Muslims. I would be sitting for hours listening to relatives talk in Urdu. They know I don't understand but still they continue to do that.”

http://writerinislam.blogspot.com/20...-in-crowd.html

Since there are a lot of reverts on this forum, I was wondering how many of you felt that born-muslims were treating you as inferior or different? Were you welcomed by born-muslims or not? How hard was it reverting to islam?
I personally admire reverts and I like reading their stories because they strengthen my faith. I find it weird and surprising that some born-muslims discriminate against reverts.
I think it'd be cool if you added a poll to this thread.

:)

Silver
02-08-2009, 11:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sevgi
I think it'd be cool if you added a poll to this thread.

:)
Oh well! I can't anymore!! :rollseyes

sevgi
02-08-2009, 11:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
Oh well! I can't anymore!! :rollseyes
Actually you can. Look up now ^^ See the 'Thread tools' tab? Click it and Voila...you shall see 'add poll to this thread' or something like that :)

ws

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*Yasmin*
02-08-2009, 12:29 PM
good thread

sidenote:
some born-muslim also feel lonely in a crowd of born-muslim ..i guess you understand me

seghni
02-08-2009, 04:59 PM
As salaamu aleikum
I reverted 6 years ago and have found the majority of born Muslims to be very friendly and welcoming .My only gripe is that sometimes Muslim men seem to think that because you were brought up in western ways they can be more free with you than is appropriate....also I used to live in a town where the taxi drivers were all muslim,and when they saw my hijab they wanted to know if I was married..hearing the answer 'no' I was on several occasions given the phone number of brothers/cousins etc who just happened to be looking for a wife..Needless to say I didn't call any of them !

Mi Le Xing
02-08-2009, 05:00 PM
I certainly didnt lose any friends or loved ones, as that article suggests. Some were a little confused or suprised by the change, but not in a bad way!

As for the Muslim community, I found them to be very welcoming. I felt a little odd and out of place at first, because I wasnt sure what to do or what to say before I started learning how to pray and things like that.

But that only lasted for a short time, so no, I would not way I am lonely.

justahumane
02-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Well it may be off topic, but still cant resist ask this.........is there any hindu revert on this forum? Hindu from India? I will like to know how he or she was treated after declaring faith. Given that hindus are very much critical on this subject.

ghengis
03-22-2009, 02:25 AM
i am hindu revert :)

HAHAHAHAHA GET IN THERE!!!! lol

wth1257
03-22-2009, 07:47 AM
That's something I'd worry about. It seems like a lot of Muslim converts also really like Arab culture and like to assimilate to that. While I have nothing against arab culture it really does not interest me all that much and I doubt I'd assimilate to it. I mean I'd like to learn Arabic wheather I were a Muslim or not but that's about it. So I guess I wonder how individuals who don't culturally assimilate get on.

Imam
03-23-2009, 09:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
That's something I'd worry about. It seems like a lot of Muslim converts also really like Arab culture and like to assimilate to that. While I have nothing against arab culture it really does not interest me all that much and I doubt I'd assimilate to it. I mean I'd like to learn Arabic wheather I were a Muslim or not but that's about it. So I guess I wonder how individuals who don't culturally assimilate get on.
Greetings

who would say that a non-Arab muslim or a muslim convert has to assimilate to Arab culture?!

the converts should assimilate to The Islamic teachings and ignore any cultural aspects belongs to a specific culture ....

format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
I mean I'd like to learn Arabic.
to assimilate to Arab culture is much more easier than mastering standard Arabic :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.