Ibn al-Qayyim [rahimahullah] said,
When a person spends his entire day with no other concern but Allaah alone,
- Allaah [subhaa nahu wa ta’ala] will take care of all his needs and take care of all that is worrying him.
- He will empty his heart so that it will be filled only with love for Him, free his tongue so that it will speak only in remembrance of Him [dhikr], and cause all his faculties to work only in obedience to Him.
But when a person spends his entire day with no other concern but this world,
- Allaah will make him bear its distress, anxiety and pain.
- He will leave him to sort himself out, and cause his heart to be distracted from the love of Allaah towards the love of some created being.
- He will cause his tongue to speak only in remembering people instead of remembering Allaah.
- He will cause him to use his talents and energy in obeying and serving the people.
- This person will strive hard, laboring like some work-animal, to serve something other than Allaah.
Everyone who turns away from being a true slave of Allaah by obeying and loving Him, will be burdened with servitude to some created being. Allaah says in the Qur’an [interpretation of the meaning]:
And whosoever turns away [blinds himself] from the remembrance of the Most Beneficent, We appoint for him a shaytaan to be his Qareen [intimate companion]. (Sura al-Zukhruf, Ayah 36).
It was narrated that Anas [radi Allaahu anhu] said that the Prophet [sallal laahu alaihi wa sallam] said:
Whoever is mainly concerned about the Hereafter, Allaah will make him feel independent of others and will make him focused and content, and his worldly affairs will fall into place. But whoever is mainly concerned with this world, Allaah will make him feel in constant need of others and will make him distracted and unfocused, and he will get nothing of this world except what is decreed for him. (narrated by al-Tirmidhi, Hadith No. 2389 and classed as Saheeh by Shaykh Muhammad Naasiruddin al-Albaani [rahimahullah])
(Source: al-Fawaa’ id, page 159)