/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do you fast on Monday,Thursday,13th,14th,15th of each month???

Helena
02-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Assalamu alaikum,

Question:

As-Salamu `Alykum. Are there certain days to fast in the week as a Sunnah or is it a bid`ah (innovation in religion)? Some books say it is Sunnah to fast Mondays, Thursdays, and 13th, 14th, and 15th of each months. Does that mean those days are special in the week and month or holier? Could you explain this please? Jazakum Allah Khayran.

Answer:

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, we would like to thank you for showing keenness on knowing the teachings of Islam, and we appreciate the great confidence you have in us. We hope our efforts meet your expectations. Yet we also apologize for the late reply.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) has exhorted us to fast during certain days: six days of Shawwal, the first ten days of the month of Dhul-Hijjah, especially the day of `Arafah for those who are not performing Hajj, fasting Mondays and Thursdays, fasting three days (the 13th , 14th, and 15th) of every month.

As for fasting Mondays and Thursdays, Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to fast on Monday and Thursday. On being asked about that the Prophet said: "Deeds are presented on every Monday and Thursday. Allah forgives every Muslim or every believer, except for those who are forsaking each other. He says [about them]: 'Leave them.' " (Reported by Ahmad with authentic chain of narrators)

It is recorded in Sahih Muslim that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) when asked about fasting on Monday, said: "That is the day on which I was born and the day on which I received revelation."

As for fasting the 13th , 14th, and 15th of each month, Abu Dharr Al-Ghafari reported: "The Messenger of Allah ordered us to fast for three days of every month - that is, on the days of the full moon (the 13th, 14th, and 15th of the lunar month). And he said: 'It is like fasting the whole year.'" (Reported by An-Nasa'i)

(Quoted from Sheikh Sayyed Sabiq's Fiqh-us-Sunnah, vol. 1.)

So, dear brother, it’s clear that observing fasting on those days moves in line with the practice of the noble Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) who set a shinning example for Muslims to follow, in compliance with Allah’s words: ” Ye have indeed in the Messenger of Allah a beautiful pattern (of conduct) for any one whose hope is in Allah and the Final Day, and who engages much in the Praise of Allah.” (Al-Ahzab: 21)

So do you fast every monday, thursday and 13,14th,15th of each month??

i do apologise if im being impolite but its a lil encouragement that we can establish the sunnah in our lives inshAllah....

wasalaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Helena
02-12-2009, 12:32 PM
From last year Ramadan and performing Hajj it made moi aware of the niyamah, rahma and the enjoyment of fasting...that i was lost in worldly desires..and how Saytan constantly reminded me how difficult it wud be to fast on mondays,thursday and 13.14, and 15th...it made me weaker...

But after performing Hajj and the guidance from my family as my mum and dad been practicing this action for a while...Allahu Akbar..

and then i captured this action in my heart and in Makkah with the will of Allah(swt) i fasted on a thursday...alhamdulilah..

I was very f ornate to carry this action out where Prophet(saw) was born...subanAllah...It was a rather unique feeling... :cry: :cry: ...and no difficulty,pain,thirst,or hunger took over my mind and i was purely concentrated on my Lord..how we prayed one salah after another, recited the Qur'an and performed tawaafs after Asr salah till was Maghrib salah...

As we finished our salah we headed to the top floor of the masjidul haraam....and broke our fast with dates and Zam zam...subanAllah how our stomach was filled up...

:cry: :cry:

This thread will engage us to revive the sunnah and give us light to perform this beautiful action..only for the sake of Allah insha Allah. May Allah(swt) give us tawfique and strength to nurture this act insha Allah.Ameen thumma ameen.

I will share the timing of iftar on every mondays, thursdays and including 13th, 14th and 15th of every islamic month insha Allah. The timing will be submitted from london..but please you are more than welcome to share the iftar timing from the area or country you live in insha Allah.

Helena
02-12-2009, 12:44 PM
As today is Thursday, the iftar will be at 5.13pm insha Allah. This timing is from East London Mosque, please follow your preferred Masajid timetable insha Allah.

jazakmullahu khairan!!

bewildred
02-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Well, I used to fast on those days on a very irregular basis. With this nice reminder, I'll start fasting next Monday, Inshallah.imsad

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Helena
02-12-2009, 12:55 PM
insha Allah sis. Please don't be sad. Allah(swt) gives us opportunity, opens a gate for us that we can benefit from to accomplish our goal in this dunya..'to serve Him only'. Allah(swt) pours down countless blessing upon us in return we should be thankful and try to practice some actions that will draw us nearer to Him insha Allah.

muslim sister)
02-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Alhamdulillah I fast on Mondays and Thursdays ,not on a regular basis though,but I don't fast not on 13th,14th,15th of each month.Should I also fast on these days if I even fast two days a week?or is it enough to fast on Mondays and Thursdays ?

Danah
02-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Unfortunately I dont, my schedule in very hard I came home late from Uni....but I am planning to start in the near future insha allah

Najm
02-13-2009, 06:30 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Excellent sunnah. Regarding 13,14,15, do we take take from the Islamic Calendar? :-[

^I rather make sure :-[

FiAmaaniAllah

sevgi
02-13-2009, 06:33 PM
:sl:

Subhanallah. While I was just praying fajr, I made a silent promise to start fasting on Mondays and Thursdays in an effort to draw closer to our prophet and push away evil.

Thank you for the thread. I shall mark 'no' coz at the moment, I do not...well, I haven't in a while...

:w:

Soulja Girl
02-13-2009, 06:57 PM

Nope... Sometimes yep... :)

Jazakillah khair for the reminder!

:w:

~Taalibah~
02-13-2009, 07:21 PM
No, i dont, unfortunately.
Insha'Allah will do one day, with the help of Allah Ta'aala.

Helena
02-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Today iftar is at 5.20pm insha Allah. May Allah(swt) accept our fast from us insha Allah.Ameen!

MO783
02-16-2009, 03:37 PM
I dont

imsad

Faseeha
02-18-2009, 04:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Excellent sunnah. Regarding 13,14,15, do we take take from the Islamic Calendar? :-[

^I rather make sure :-[

FiAmaaniAllah

Yes, the 13th, 14th and 15th of every islamic month.

To the thread starter, could you add a sometimes option to the poll?

Helena
03-09-2009, 11:35 AM
13th,14th and 15th of Rabi ul-awal is on the 9th,10th and 11th of March 09 insha Allah!!

Today iftar will be at 5.58pm insha Allah..

sirajstc
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
no :(

sirajstc
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Insha Allah i will Make dua for me :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.