/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Censorship and Fatwas...

nocturne
02-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Assalamualaikum,

I writing this based on my limited knowledge in this issue. If i am stating any facts wrongly, please forgive and correct me.

Let's start back in the 1980's, when Salman Rushdie's novel The Satanic Verses was released, there was huge opposition in the Islamic world. It started with Indian's muslims asking for a ban on the book and subsequently followed by 1989 fatwa issued by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini ordering Muslims to kill Rushdie; and the killings, attempted killings, and bombings that resulted from Muslim anger over the novel.

As a result of the fatwa, several were severely injured but Rushdie remains unharmed with a few more novels added to his name.

And again in 2002, when a Nigerian Journalist made a silly comment on our prophet. I recently heard a interview with her, and she terribly regrets the consequences of her article, that killed hundreds of people. And she too was slapped with Fatwa.

http://www.livingislam.org/n/nup_e.html

I have a few question, that i hope some of you can answer.

1) Does Islam ask for the killing of those, who dare question its validity or even try to portray in a bad light?

2) Who has to take the blame for the hundreds killed these events, the Journalists, or the muslims who incited the violence/issued the fatwa.

3) Correct me if i am wrong, didn't Prophet Muhammad (s.w.t), go through far more ridiculing during his time and i don't think he resorted to violence.

4) Do we fear that reading these literatures, erode our faith in Islam?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pomak
02-15-2009, 10:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e7zeuXIcio

as for the history of apostasy/Khomeini's Fatwah

aamirsaab
02-15-2009, 11:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nocturne
I have a few question, that i hope some of you can answer.

1) Does Islam ask for the killing of those, who dare question its validity or even try to portray in a bad light?
Nope. Apostacy and questioning the validity/portraying Islam in a bad light are different matters.
The Apostacy ruling has been covered plenty of times on this forum.

2) Who has to take the blame for the hundreds killed these events, the Journalists, or the muslims who incited the violence/issued the fatwa.
Khomeini: he shouldn't have issued a fatwa. He's not a caliphate and certainly no caliph.
the muslims who carried out those attrocities: They forget what the Prophet went through and how he dealt with it.
The journalists: stop giving Rushdie so much limelight - he's a freaking knight now - any more and you'd think he's running for King.

3) Correct me if i am wrong, didn't Prophet Muhammad (s.w.t), go through far more ridiculing during his time and i don't think he resorted to violence.
You are indeed correct; remember, the Prophet was poisoned but did not issue a punishment on the one who did it. Neither on the ones who abused him on the streets, verbally and physically.

4) Do we fear that reading these literatures, erode our faith in Islam?
This is a matter of personal opinion. Frankly, I have no interest in Rushdies or any anti-islamics' books. Maybe that makes me ignorant and bias, but to be honest, I don't care what they have to say on Islam and I most certainly do not want to pay for it: opinions should be free of charge!

Would their opinions erode my faith in Islam? Lol, not likely. It'd take a lot more than a couple of books to shake 20+ years of life experience from me. Plus, if you knew me in person, you'd know that from my actions towards others, it would be nigh on impossible for anyone to erode my faith in Islam.

Pomak
02-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Khomeini: he shouldn't have issued a fatwa. He's not a caliphate and certainly no caliph.
Shia have different authority structure i believe.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
02-15-2009, 11:31 AM
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/22809/insults%20prophet

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.