PDA

View Full Version : surma..



kjra
02-14-2009, 03:13 AM
Assalamu-alaikum everyone,
just wondering if any of the sister's here use the surma/kohl? if so which one do u use? i bought surma from ebay not so long ago....but it smudges! does that happen to any one? or is it just me.....sometimes i end up looking like a panda!!! :-[ lol
anyone know how i can stop it from smudging?
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
02-14-2009, 12:45 PM
you bought the powder one that stings your eyes?
Reply

kjra
02-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by amani
you bought the powder one that stings your eyes?
no sister, its on a stick. its called noor kajal.....
do use surma, sis?
Reply

S_87
02-14-2009, 08:05 PM
no i dont, i do have an avon kajol stick if that counts and yes it smudges if youre not careful
is the one u have that waxey sticky type of stick or like normal eye pencil?
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
kjra
02-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Yes the one i bought is the wax stick type.....the normal eye liner pencil wasn't black enough...if u knw what i mean. But what ever i use, it always smudges.....im sure im doing something wrong. :hmm:
Reply

S_87
02-14-2009, 08:39 PM
yes i know what u mean..i found the avon kajal stick i was talking about to be that black that other pencils dont give. though a bit too strong.
http://avonshop.co.uk/product/make-u...jal-stick.html

though in cosmetic sections you can get that blacker than black colour...
anyway, havent used the wax type so cant help you with that :X
inshaAllah other sisters may
Reply

Zahida
02-14-2009, 09:10 PM
:sl: The trick is to use foundation as a base on the top of your eyes, and to wear it inside your eye rather than on the outside/underneath. Avon as mentioned above also do a very nice eyeliner pencil that is like an ink look out for those they are good.........................:):w:
Reply

Musaafirah
02-14-2009, 09:13 PM
^^Apparently you shouldn't use foundation, concealer etc on your eyes as you'll get wrinkles on 'em later on. I don't know if it's actually true though, I don't wear foundation...
Reply

Zahida
02-14-2009, 09:18 PM
:sl: Lol sis i am proud to say that i am 40 and not a wrinkle in sight!!!!!! I have been wearing make-up since i was about 22................ As long as you remove the make-up at night and use creams you should be ok..........:bump1::w:
Reply

Musaafirah
02-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Oh sorry. Guess it was just some people. I've seen though, in order to get even a simple look, some girls plaster loads of foundation on though. Sheesh, that must be damaging though!
Reply

kjra
02-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Zahida
:sl: The trick is to use foundation as a base on the top of your eyes, and to wear it inside your eye rather than on the outside/underneath. Avon as mentioned above also do a very nice eyeliner pencil that is like an ink look out for those they are good.........................:):w:
Really? i didn't know that....I think i did get that eye liner u are talking about.....its like a pen isn't it? But it wasn't really black.
Reply

Zahida
02-14-2009, 09:26 PM
:sl: Hmmmmmmmm there is nothing worse than seeing a girl wearin foundation that does not match her skin tone and her looking like a clown!!!!

The trick is to just dab some foundation slightly on your fingertip and apply using inwards strokes because your eyes are so sensitive!!!!

This thread reminds me of my mammoo Allah granthim a place in Junnat. Ameen. I was about 16 when i went to Pakistan to visit him and he was about 90!!! He had a mortar and pestle and was making surma from some herbs. He used it in his eyes and when he passed away still had his eyesight and no glasses, he gave some to me and it stung and i remember thinking i was going to go blind!!!

Also sis no need for apologies!!!!!!!!!:bump1:
Originally Posted by Musaafir
Oh sorry. Guess it was just some people. I've seen though, in order to get even a simple look, some girls plaster loads of foundation on though. Sheesh, that must be damaging though!
Reply

kjra
02-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by amani
yes i know what u mean..i found the avon kajal stick i was talking about to be that black that other pencils dont give. though a bit too strong.
http://avonshop.co.uk/product/make-u...jal-stick.html
Is it?....sounds good! thanks
Reply

Zahida
02-14-2009, 09:30 PM
:sl: Yes sis it is like a pen i do not really like black though, but doesn't mean to say that others don't i use the brown one as i like my make up to be subtle.

Yes foundation is a good base. You can also buy similar pen style eyeliners in boots go and try them out!!!

I do hair styles, make up, and mehndi for brides and have a selection!!!!! If you lived close by maybe i would let you borrow one....hehe:bump1::w:
Originally Posted by kjra
Really? i didn't know that....I think i did get that eye liner u are talking about.....its like a pen isn't it? But it wasn't really black.
Reply

kjra
02-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Zahida
:sl: Hmmmmmmmm there is nothing worse than seeing a girl wearin foundation that does not match her skin tone and her looking like a clown!!!!

The trick is to just dab some foundation slightly on your fingertip and apply using inwards strokes because your eyes are so sensitive!!!!

This thread reminds me of my mammoo Allah granthim a place in Junnat. Ameen. I was about 16 when i went to Pakistan to visit him and he was about 90!!! He had a mortar and pestle and was making surma from some herbs. He used it in his eyes and when he passed away still had his eyesight and no glasses, he gave some to me and it stung and i remember thinking i was going to go blind!!!

Also sis no need for apologies!!!!!!!!!:bump1:
Yes sister, i heard the surma is suppose to be really good for the eye sight.
I also have some powder surma at home...but i never use it, coz i heard its stings ur eyes!
Reply

Zahida
02-14-2009, 09:39 PM
:sl: Yes,my mother uses it and it was brought from Makkah....................

I hope you find what you are looking for, it's just a case of shopping around!!!:bump1::w:
Reply

kjra
02-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Zahida
:sl: Yes sis it is like a pen i do not really like black though, but doesn't mean to say that others don't i use the brown one as i like my make up to be subtle.

Yes foundation is a good base. You can also buy similar pen style eyeliners in boots go and try them out!!!

I do hair styles, make up, and mehndi for brides and have a selection!!!!! If you lived close by maybe i would let you borrow one....hehe:bump1::w:

:D aww...thanks sis!
I don't use foundation much....or any other makeup...just a dab of lipgloss and eyeliner does it for me.....but some how i end up looking like a panda! lol
I just love the arabian look.....just their eyes! :p
Reply

Caller الداعي
02-15-2009, 05:58 PM
:sl:

To apply kuhl i.e. (antimony, collyrium, surma) in the eyes is mustabab. It is recommended as it is the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad SAW. One should use kuhl with the intention of obtaining reward from Allah SWT for practising the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad SAW. The kuhl has beneficial medical properties too - fit for Muslims.

Imam Tirmidhi mentions five Ahadith about this in his Shamaa-il:


HADITH 1

Abdullah ibn Abbas RA says:

"Rasulullah SAW said: "Use kuhl made of ithmid on the eye; it brightens the eyesight, and strengthens and increases the growth of the eye lashes"."

Abdullah ibn Abbas RA also used to say:

"Rasulullah SAW had a small container for keeping kuhl, from which he applied kuhl in each eye three times every night."


COMMENTARY

Ithmid is a special type of kuhl which is reddish black in colour. It is obtained in the Eastern countries. Some of the learned say it is the Isfahaani kuhl, and other say it is the Totiya. Some Ulama say, it means (i.e. it is encouraged for) those who have good eyesight and it should be used by those with whose eyesight it agrees. Otherwise a sick person's eyes will pain more by its use. It is more beneficial to apply kuhl at the time of sleeping as it will remain longer in the eyes, and will penetrate more into the pores.

There are different narrations on the number of times it should be applied in each eye. In a few it is stated that it should be applied three times in each eye, as mentioned above. In other narrations it is stated that it should be put three times in the right eye and two times in the left eye. It is supposed that the variations are because of the different times of the narrations. At a certain time, Rasulullah SAW applied it in one manner and at another time in the other manner.

Hafiz Ibn Hajar RA, Mulla Ali Qari RA and other Ulama have preferred the first method - as given in the Hadith under discussion. The first method has been narrated many times from Rasulullah SAW - as will be seen in the narration that follow,


HADITH 2

Abdullah ibn Abbas RA reports:

"Rasulullah SAW applied kuhl of ithmid three times in each eye before sleeping."

In a narration also from Abdullah ibn Abbas RA, it is reported:

"Rasulullah SAW had a small container for keeping kuhl, from which he applied in each eye kuhl three times before sleeping."


HADITH 3

Jaabir bin Abdullah RA says:

"Rasulullah SAW said: "Use the kuhl made from ithmid for the eyes. It brightens the vision and strengthens the growth of the eye lashes"."


HADITH 4

Abdullah ibn Abbas RA says:

"Rasulullah SAW has said: "The best from among all the kuhl used by you is the one made from ithmid. It brightens the eyesight and strengthens the growth of the eye lashes"."


COMMENTARY

One of the narrators in the chain of this hadith is Bishr bin Mufaddal RA. The Ulama wrote that he performed four hundred Nawafil (optional Sunnat Solats) daily, and it was his permanent practice to fast every alternate day.


HADITH 5

Abdullah bin Umar RA related the same Hadith from Rasulullah SAW that:

"Verily use the kuhl made from ithmid. It brightens the vision and strengthens the growth of the eye lashes."


COMMENTARY

In all the above narrations the use of kuhl made from ithmid has be stressed. Only eyes that agree with the use of it is encouraged, otherwise, because of certain eye conditions kuhl does not agree with some people, as was mentioned previously. The Ulama have written that due to these commands and practices it is Sunnah to use kuhl, and it is better to use the one made from ithmid. If one uses kuhl made from any other substance it will be regarded as Sunnah, but the virtue is obtained by using kuhl made of ithmid.
Reply

Zahida
02-15-2009, 08:15 PM
:sl: Many Thanks for that brother, it is also sunnah to wear mehndi and i like it, unfortuanetly the youngsters today do not like it as much and are opting to wear the sticky things that are available today.........

:w::thankyou:
Originally Posted by caller
:sl:

To apply kuhl i.e. (antimony, collyrium, surma) in the eyes is mustabab. It is recommended as it is the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad SAW. One should use kuhl with the intention of obtaining reward from Allah SWT for practising the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad SAW. The kuhl has beneficial medical properties too - fit for Muslims.

Imam Tirmidhi mentions five Ahadith about this in his Shamaa-il:


HADITH 1

Abdullah ibn Abbas RA says:

"Rasulullah SAW said: "Use kuhl made of ithmid on the eye; it brightens the eyesight, and strengthens and increases the growth of the eye lashes"."

Abdullah ibn Abbas RA also used to say:

"Rasulullah SAW had a small container for keeping kuhl, from which he applied kuhl in each eye three times every night."


COMMENTARY

Ithmid is a special type of kuhl which is reddish black in colour. It is obtained in the Eastern countries. Some of the learned say it is the Isfahaani kuhl, and other say it is the Totiya. Some Ulama say, it means (i.e. it is encouraged for) those who have good eyesight and it should be used by those with whose eyesight it agrees. Otherwise a sick person's eyes will pain more by its use. It is more beneficial to apply kuhl at the time of sleeping as it will remain longer in the eyes, and will penetrate more into the pores.

There are different narrations on the number of times it should be applied in each eye. In a few it is stated that it should be applied three times in each eye, as mentioned above. In other narrations it is stated that it should be put three times in the right eye and two times in the left eye. It is supposed that the variations are because of the different times of the narrations. At a certain time, Rasulullah SAW applied it in one manner and at another time in the other manner.

Hafiz Ibn Hajar RA, Mulla Ali Qari RA and other Ulama have preferred the first method - as given in the Hadith under discussion. The first method has been narrated many times from Rasulullah SAW - as will be seen in the narration that follow,


HADITH 2

Abdullah ibn Abbas RA reports:

"Rasulullah SAW applied kuhl of ithmid three times in each eye before sleeping."

In a narration also from Abdullah ibn Abbas RA, it is reported:

"Rasulullah SAW had a small container for keeping kuhl, from which he applied in each eye kuhl three times before sleeping."


HADITH 3

Jaabir bin Abdullah RA says:

"Rasulullah SAW said: "Use the kuhl made from ithmid for the eyes. It brightens the vision and strengthens the growth of the eye lashes"."


HADITH 4

Abdullah ibn Abbas RA says:

"Rasulullah SAW has said: "The best from among all the kuhl used by you is the one made from ithmid. It brightens the eyesight and strengthens the growth of the eye lashes"."


COMMENTARY

One of the narrators in the chain of this hadith is Bishr bin Mufaddal RA. The Ulama wrote that he performed four hundred Nawafil (optional Sunnat Solats) daily, and it was his permanent practice to fast every alternate day.


HADITH 5

Abdullah bin Umar RA related the same Hadith from Rasulullah SAW that:

"Verily use the kuhl made from ithmid. It brightens the vision and strengthens the growth of the eye lashes."


COMMENTARY

In all the above narrations the use of kuhl made from ithmid has be stressed. Only eyes that agree with the use of it is encouraged, otherwise, because of certain eye conditions kuhl does not agree with some people, as was mentioned previously. The Ulama have written that due to these commands and practices it is Sunnah to use kuhl, and it is better to use the one made from ithmid. If one uses kuhl made from any other substance it will be regarded as Sunnah, but the virtue is obtained by using kuhl made of ithmid.
Reply

kjra
02-15-2009, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=caller;1098814]:sl:

To apply kuhl i.e. (antimony, collyrium, surma) in the eyes is mustabab. It is recommended as it is the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad SAW. One should use kuhl with the intention of obtaining reward from Allah SWT for practising the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad SAW. The kuhl has beneficial medical properties too - fit for Muslims.QUOTE]

Brilliant, thanks for that brother and i totally agree.
:thumbs_up
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!