/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Where should I start

anonymous
02-14-2009, 12:51 PM
I want to stop sinning from now one. I want to become a better muslim. Where should I start ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
02-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Read Quran like your life depends on it. Imagine yourself on a lifeline, and that if you leave Quran that line slowly starts fading... until you come back to it, and then it rises again and gets stronger.

read about the lives of our prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam, the prophets of Allah (musa,yusuf, etc alaihissalaama) and the sahabi's.

Try to love with all your heart and understand why islaam says to do what it says to do, and try to hate that which islaam tells you to get away from.

learn about your religion.... love it... and make it second nature to you.

but... start with your namaz/salaah/prayers and Quran !
start there, pour your heart out.

FORCE yourself even, sit 7-8 hours a day just reading and thinking reflecting

DO NOT WEAKEN, you must persevere....

may Allah reward you... may ALlah guide us all

Assalamu Alaikum

tresbien
02-14-2009, 06:09 PM
fast and send blessing upon prophet.give charity and do deeds

AnonymousPoster
02-14-2009, 07:27 PM
:sl:

anony,i would say check out your company/friends who are they. If You know they are gud people and will help you with becoming a good muslim, stick wid them. And if thats not the case, then its better to leave them. You can go the masjid, and meet people who will inshAllah strengthen ur faith.
Do make lots of dua for yourself, and your family, if they are supportive, u will have an encouraging environment to groom ur faith.
May Allah almighty help u, and reward u.

U can check this link out.
http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...dying-out.html

i hope someone else finds more helping links, that are here.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The Ruler
02-14-2009, 09:21 PM
There's no place to start and there's no place to stop. It's like a circle. You start where ever possible whenever possible. If you see a chance to do good, do it; if you see a chance to avoid bad, grab it. It's as simple as that.

-Elle-
02-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Becoming a good muslim will be new to you and you might feel it overwhelming...

I'd suggest that you start off by cutting bad habits,progressively. Secondly,as anony2 had mentioned, look at the people who surround you, and see if they are indeed a good influence for you. If these people whom you consider friends do things which are haram(not permissible in Islam), then go to the masjed like mentioned and meet new people who will help you strenghten your Iman.

Trust me, the company you keep makes an enormous difference in your actions and in your capacity to change.

After having done all of this, begin by learning about the parts of Islam which you find truly facisnating. have you ever had any unanswered questions, like "Why should I pray?" or, "Why do we fast?" or.."What was the Prophet (SAW) like?"...when you answer your own questions and read of things which interest you, your heart will insh'Allah open up and you will want to know everything about our beautiful religion. To truly follow Islam and become committed to its way of life, you must understand why you do the things you do(i.e pray,fast,give charity,not lie,not date..etc).

Insh'Allah all goes well for you,and May Allah(swt) guide all the muslims in this world.*Ameen*

sevgi
02-15-2009, 05:23 AM

I would firstly like to congratulate you on your first step. I know that you are sincere in what you have said coz you have thought about this, digested it, formulated a sentence in your mind and articulated it on this forum. May Allah be with you.

In order to stop sinning and better yourself in your deen and Iman, you need to understand what Islam means to YOU. Islam is amazing in the sense that it can belong to all of us and also belong to just you. Everyone has their personal relationship with Allah and their religion. You need to work out what these are. See where Allah is in your life and how far Islam has penetrated through yours. This way, you will get your bearings. You will see where you stand and how far you have to go. It will also make you want to work harder. You will never have a clear point to reach...but our universal 'point' is God's happiness. Your soul will find ease everytime you do something to make it happy for the sake of Allah. This will please Allah.

Anywho, once you find out your relationship with Allah and your religion, you will know which things are hardest for you. It could be praying, reading quran, wearing appropriate clothing, making dua, not getting angry, being patient...I don't know...but everyone has their weaknesses. Find yours and start working on them. How? Firstly, make dua to Allah to aid you on your quest to fix yourself, fill your gaps and perfect and maintain your strengths. Secondly, don't let them go. They are like wild dog's without a leash or a kid with ADD without his sugar (I am too funny *rollseyes*). Every leeway they find, they will take..and trust me they will find those leeways. You must learn to tame your weaknesses. They are yours. You cannot blame anyone else for them coz the longer you do, the more they will grow and you will continue to sin. You cannot fix yourself unless you tame yourself. Taming comes with training. You must train yourself in order to tame yourself and then fix yourself.

See, Islam is such a humble thing. It is one-size fits all. It can mould itself around all lives...but we as humans are not humble. We do not change a thing in ourselves to suit anything. But see, Islam is flawless...so if Islam doesn't fit us...whose fault is it? Ours. We have to train ourselves...blunten our bad habits and kill our sinning flaws. We only sin coz we are weak. We must get stronger.

As I said, you have YOUR Islam. You must find YOUR comfort zone in that Islam. Now I'm not telling you to bed the rules to make youself comfortable. You need to bend yourself. What I mean is, you need to work out what you are comfortable with. Islam is a lifestyle and you have to learn to 'practicalise' Islam into your life. If every life is different, the practicalisation of Islam in every life will also be different. Find your comfort zone. Your practical version of Islam. Just the same, every training period (which may take your whole life) is meant to be custom made for you. You need to work out how to train yourself.

What we can do is give advice from what we find has help us train ourselves or what we think will work best. You can pick and choose and try on and try off until you work out how your weaknesses react to what you are doing to them.

I never know if I make sense when I speak vaguely. But I hope that helped in some way or other.

Again, may Allah be with you.

Sevgi.

:w:

MO783
02-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Start by making dua

Ansariyah
02-16-2009, 06:52 PM
From ur heart.

Zahida
02-16-2009, 09:19 PM
:sl: As Yanoorah has put it simply from the heart.................where there is a will there is a way............. Ameen:w::bump1:
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
From ur heart.

anonymous
02-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Thank you guys for your replies. I think they are probably relevent to all of us. I wake up every morning with a practical plan of how I can strengthen my iman but by the end of the day im still in the deep hole I fell into. Im just not feeling anything anymore.

Raizins
02-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Allah helps those who wish to help themselves. Make du'a, read Qur'an, pray the nawaafel, fast extra days, and avoid anything you might think might prevent you from displeasing Allah. :)

anonymous
02-20-2009, 12:13 PM
anon #2

:salamext:

try where you think is easiest, and then slowly move on to the hard bits

nms
02-23-2009, 07:00 AM
start praying and dont sin anymore

anonymous
02-23-2009, 11:31 PM
back to square one today.....maybe worse. :(

alcurad
02-23-2009, 11:52 PM
that's expected to happen brother/sister, you can't change your human nature entirely, rather you keep trying, it takes time and patience/practice.
btw is there a specific act you wish to stop or more general? identifying what you need to stop doing and start doing is going to make it clearer and easier.

The Ruler
02-24-2009, 12:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
back to square one today.....maybe worse. :(
So? The climp up a rocky mountain isn't smooth. You're bound to slip and fall.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.