/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A local beheading.

Pygoscelis
02-15-2009, 05:46 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/494/story/578644.html

Orchard Park police are investigating a particularly gruesome killing, the beheading of a woman, after her husband -- an influential member of the local Muslim community -- reported her death to police Thursday. ... Detectives have charged her husband, Muzzammil Hassan, 44, with second-degree murder.
Muzzammil Hassan is the founder and chief executive officer of Bridges TV, which he launched in 2004, amid hopes that it would help portray Muslims in a more positive light.
I expect we will see throngs of muslims protesting in the streets over this man's dragging the religion's image through the mud. Well, maybe if it was a cartoon...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Caller الداعي
02-15-2009, 06:30 PM
يُرِيدُونَ لِيُطْفِئُوا نُورَ اللَّهِ بِأَفْوَاهِهِمْ وَاللَّهُ مُتِمُّ نُورِهِ وَلَوْ كَرِهَ الْكَافِرُونَ (8) هُوَ الَّذِي أَرْسَلَ رَسُولَهُ بِالْهُدَى وَدِينِ الْحَقِّ لِيُظْهِرَهُ عَلَى الدِّينِ كُلِّهِ وَلَوْ كَرِهَ الْمُشْرِكُونَ (9)
8. They intend to put out the Light of Allah (i.e. the religion of Islam, this Qur'an, and Prophet Muhammad ) with their mouths. But Allah will complete His Light even though the disbelievers hate (it).

9. He it is Who has sent His Messenger (Muhammad ) with guidance and the religion of truth (Islamic Monotheism) to make it victorious over all (other) religions even though the Mushrikun (polytheists, pagans, idolaters, and disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah and in His Messenger Muhammed ) hate (it).

aadil77
02-15-2009, 06:53 PM
I've noticed a huge trend in beheading murders here in the UK over the past few years, anyone else? looks like people are becoming more violent

Theres also an increase in helicopter crashes, strange^o)

Ibn Abi Ahmed
02-15-2009, 09:11 PM
:sl:

http://muslimmatters.org/2009/02/14/...-wifes-murder/

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Güven
02-15-2009, 09:18 PM
:sl:

SubhanAllah this is awful news ...how can someone kill a person in such a brutal manner.

aamirsaab
02-15-2009, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I expect we will see throngs of muslims protesting in the streets over this man's dragging the religion's image through the mud. Well, maybe if it was a cartoon...
Last time we did that, you guys complained and told us to get out of the UK....

Anywho, as for this topic: he committed a grave sin. 2 grave sins in fact: Killed an innconet; killed his FREAKING WIFE!

Pygoscelis
02-16-2009, 05:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
What this man did was atrocious and a sin, but I don't understand how you can equate muslims not protesting at this as being double standards when compared to the level of outrage caused by a derogatory cartoon of the Prophet peace be upon him.

Apples & oranges.
Wow. Just wow. A cartoon is more horrible than a murder and beheading? Both speak negatively of the religion. One results in some ink on a page. The other results in a dead and headless woman.

Pomak
02-16-2009, 06:05 AM
http://azizaizmargari.wordpress.com/...m-communities/
^ an open letter, in response to the murder.

In conclusion, Allah says in the Qur’an “O my son! Establish regular prayer, enjoin what is just, and forbid what is wrong; and bear with patient constancy whatever betide thee; for this is firmness (of purpose) in (the conduct of) affairs” (31:17). Let us pray that Allah will help us to stand for what is right and leave what is evil and to promote healthy marriages and peaceful family environments. Let us work together to prevent domestic violence and abuse and especially, violence against women.

Woodrow
02-16-2009, 06:19 AM
Wow. Just wow. A cartoon is more horrible than a murder and beheading? Both speak negatively of the religion. One results in some ink on a page. The other results in a dead and headless woman.
Two different things. No relationship.

The murder was a grave and serious crime and sin directed against one person by one person. It makes no difference what the man's faith is. That was not an issue of the crime. Would his faith have even been mentioned if they had been Christian, Jew, Agnostic, Atheist etc? Would it be seen as a reflection against any of those faiths or non-faiths? Why should it be seen as an insult against Islam?

Now the cartoon was a deliberate attack against all Muslims and Islam. It may not have been physically violent but it was hatred and pained as much as a physical attack. the protests against the cartoons were deeper then simple drawings, it was against complacency by the government that not only permitted but supported insults against a religious belief.

Pomak
02-16-2009, 06:31 AM
1. It takes two to tango
2. Lets not turn this woman's life into political futbol.
3. imsad

Malaikah
02-16-2009, 06:53 AM
There is no point protesting something which the government is already against.

Please, just use your brain. Its obvious.

Anyway, this is very sad and hopefully who ever is guilty is brought to justice.

May Allah have mercy on the woman, ameen.

justahumane
02-16-2009, 07:44 AM
How can u equate the two incidents? One is a henious murder done by someone who happened to be a Muslim. Is he a first muslim who have done such crime? or will he be last? How image of Islam is deminished by any such crime? Will same apply for christianity, hinduism, and jewism?

And cartoons of the holy prophet were intended to insulting a religious figure, hence angry demonstrations worldwide. However some questions can be raised over the manner in which those demonstration were done, but thats a different topic altogether.

S_87
02-16-2009, 10:09 AM

not even gonna bother reading the link but from what you have quoted- where is this related to islam? if a man murders his wife and men of all religions and cultures have done that, why do muslims now have to take the street condemning him?
why dont you condemn him as a human? this is a domestic violence case, not a muslim Vs non muslim case. Get a grip!

Muezzin
02-16-2009, 12:23 PM
You're grinding your axe on the wrong stone.

There should be more people protesting against terrorism hiding behind Islam.

In cases like this, where you have one insanely violent idiot, you simply send him to prison.

Keltoi
02-16-2009, 04:06 PM
This beheading was murder in a domestic situation. I could see the connection in beheading cases like Pearl and the recent beheading of the Polish man in Pakistan. But not in this one.

Pygoscelis
02-16-2009, 04:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Would his faith have even been mentioned if they had been Christian, Jew, Agnostic, Atheist etc? Would it be seen as a reflection against any of those faiths or non-faiths? Why should it be seen as an insult against Islam?
Like it or not, because it is a beheading. Beheadings have been associated with Islam in the public mind ever since the terrorists started doing them on TV. If muslims won't publicly dissassociate the guy from the religion, it only further embeds the idea.

format_quote Originally Posted by Article
Muzzammil Hassan is the founder and chief executive officer of Bridges TV, which he launched in 2004, amid hopes that it would help portray Muslims in a more positive light.
Do you not see the irony?

Muezzin
02-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Like it or not, because it is a beheading. Beheadings have been associated with Islam in the public mind ever since the terrorists started doing them on TV. If muslims won't publicly dissassociate the guy from the religion, it only further embeds the idea.
I know. Imagine if he were French, to boot.

Yes.

Woodrow
02-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Sadly that is true. People do associate what they read and see in the media and they do make judgements based upon that.

How short memories are and people have forgotten beheadings do not occur just among Muslims.

ie:

Young Girl Raped and Beheaded in Florida by Mexican Traffickers
Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/causes-a...rs-467786.html

The Canadian Bus Beheading
Source: http://us.altermedia.info/news-of-in...ding_3463.html

Yhe point being behadings are not exclusive to Muslims, I find it odd that the religion is not mentioned when it is committed by a non-Muslim

Yes, and i agree that as a Muslim I must speak out against that vile act. I also find it ironic that Christians are not asked to speak out against beheadings done by Christians.

Right now Beheadings and cutting off of hands has become quite popular by "Christian" drug dealers in Mexico. Why is it there is no uproar that drug dealing and beheadings are Christian beliefs? I know that is not true, those people do not represent Christianity, by why don't people understand that the work of mad men do not represent Islam.

justahumane
02-17-2009, 07:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Sadly that is true. People do associate what they read and see in the media and they do make judgements based upon that.

How short memories are and people have forgotten beheadings do not occur just among Muslims.

ie:

Young Girl Raped and Beheaded in Florida by Mexican Traffickers
Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/causes-a...rs-467786.html

The Canadian Bus Beheading
Source: http://us.altermedia.info/news-of-in...ding_3463.html

Yhe point being behadings are not exclusive to Muslims, I find it odd that the religion is not mentioned when it is committed by a non-Muslim

Yes, and i agree that as a Muslim I must speak out against that vile act. I also find it ironic that Christians are not asked to speak out against beheadings done by Christians.

Right now Beheadings and cutting off of hands has become quite popular by "Christian" drug dealers in Mexico. Why is it there is no uproar that drug dealing and beheadings are Christian beliefs? I know that is not true, those people do not represent Christianity, by why don't people understand that the work of mad men do not represent Islam.

That makes the perfect sense, makes things crystal clear.

Keltoi
02-18-2009, 03:51 AM
The primary issue is the blanket of religion around the act of beheading. That doesn't appear to be the case here. The beheadings that occur in connection with terrorist groups and "jihad" doesn't and shouldn't reflect upon the bulk of Islam. The sad truth, however, is that those who produce the beheading videos and engage in that barbarity are so loud in proclaiming their pious devotion to Allah that it taints that reality.

Uthman
02-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Comment by Wajahat Ali:

A wake-up call for the community

The murder of a Pakistani-American woman forces us to confront uncomfortable truths about the prevalence of domestic violence

The brutal beheading of Aasiya Hassan, a Muslim Pakistani-American mother of four, will finally force a community to confront and remedy the overwhelming – but frequently ignored and intentionally hidden – demon of domestic violence that has persecuted its silenced women for far too long.

The entire world reacted with shock and outrage as Muzzammil Hassan, a Pakistani-American businessman and co-founder of Bridges TV, was arrested for the gruesome murder of his estranged wife. Aasiya Hassan, an architect and MBA student, had recently filed for divorce and received a restraining order against Muzzammil as of 6 February 2009.

Contrary to some spurious reporting, this was not an "honour killing", a barbaric practice that has its own unique motivations and historical culture, rather it personifies the all too common phenomenon of domestic abuse. Asma Firfirey, the sister of the deceased, stated Aasiya suffered last year from injuries that required nearly $3,000 of medical bills – allegedly the result of spousal abuse.

According to Zerqa Abid, first cousin of Hassan's first wife, "Both of his earlier wives filed divorce on the same grounds of severe domestic violence and abuses … it took [my cousin] several years to get rid of the fear of living with a man in marriage."

Despite his shameful history, Hassan mind-bogglingly remained a prominent and adulated figure in Muslim American circles for his contributions to the media. His example, amongst several others, highlights the egregious failure of foresight and insight of American Muslim leadership to carefully vet, screen and ultimately renounce appointed representatives with reprehensible backgrounds.

This horrific tale is one example from the epidemic of violence against women that has been intentionally ignored by all communities – not just Muslim and Pakistani. For example, in the United States, domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women between the ages of 15 and 44.

Sadly, despite the universality of the problem, the antiquated tropes of "the savage Muslim" have emerged to crudely tar all Muslims and South Asians with the same brush.

Kneejerk reactions like this ignore the millions of Muslim, Pakistani and immigrant couples who share the same joys and burdens of marriage like any other, yet never resort to violence, abuse or murder.

Many assume the root cause of such atrocious behaviour towards women exists within Islam itself and legitimised by the Qur'an and sanctioned by the Prophet Muhammad. However, Dr Muhammad Rajabally, chairman of The North American Islamic Shelter for the Abused (NISA), established in 2002 as a vehicle towards alleviating issues related to abuse and domestic violence, strongly disagrees: "There is no room for domestic violence in Islam. Moreover the Prophet, peace be upon him, said 'the best among you is he who is best with his wife.'"

Imam Tahir Anwar, an Imam at South Bay Islamic Association located in San Jose, California, concurs and says instead the problem lies in a "culture" of misogyny that induces fear and shame: "Culturally, women are taught to 'not speak out' even if they are beaten. They have to 'save' the family and honor."

Rima Chaudry, a domestic violence victims advocate and counselor based in San Francisco, CA, says survivors of abuse often "face a community that is ignorant about domestic violence and unsupportive."

However, there is still hope. It seems the absolute brutality of Aasiya's murder has served as a clarion call to many American Muslims who have passionately responded to the tragedy with a resounding desire to confront this festering calamity.

Imam Mohamed Hagmagid Ali, vice-president of The Islamic Society of North America – one of the largest and most influential Muslim organisations in the US – exhorts: "This is a wake up call to all of us, that violence against women is real and can not be ignored. It must be addressed collectively by every member of our community."

A nationwide, unified effort entitled "Imams Speak Out: Domestic Violence Will Not Be Tolerated in Our Communities" has commenced to ask all imams and religious leaders to finally discuss this recent tragedy, as well as domestic violence, in their weekly sermon on their upcoming Friday prayer services.

It is sad yet ultimately hopeful that it has taken the heinous murder of Aasiya Hassan for the community to insist that a platform for the silenced voices of abused and battered women to finally be heard.

Source

Wajahat Ali is a Muslim American of Pakistani descent. He is a writer and attorney, whose work, The Domestic Crusaders is the first major play about Muslims living in a post 9/11 America. He is the Associate Editor of Altmuslim.com. His blog is here.

Hamayun
02-21-2009, 11:56 PM

Wow! Just Wow!!!!

Just when I thought you couldn't possibly get any more narrow minded you proved me wrong.

As I mentioned earlier today...

We condemn any violent behaviour carried out by Muslims and apologise for it!!!

Does that make you feel better?

Now can I expect an apology from you too for all the atrocities your people have carried out in my country? If not can I brand you a biggot?

Peace!

Mr. Baldy
02-22-2009, 03:38 PM

Hey man, I love loony tunes... they we're always shooting people in that, crazy man.

So your basically saying that you need hordes of Muslims to tell you that beheading people is wrong? Don't tell me your going to go out and behead people untill Muslims tell you otherwise. Isn't that a bit... silly?

And please don't tell me you make a regular habit of associating things with Islam unless Muslims walk all over the streets telling you otherwise? I believe they call that stereotyping, no?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.