/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Family Tree - How Far Back?

Vito
02-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Just thought about something today. I was wondering how far back I could trace my families history. I know there are libraries that have books on these things but I couldn't find anything that helps. Anyone whose into this stuff, any tips on where I can find some more info on our history? I know asking family would be the obvious but, mine don't really care :D

Also, if any of you have some interesting info about your family and how far back you can trace their history, I'd love to hear about it. Or if maybe there were some things passed down from generation to generation, I'd love to see it.

**Please don't use Adam and Eve either :playing:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
02-16-2009, 06:23 PM
We've got a family tree on each side of the family, I've only seen one of them though.. They are so cool, I love looking at them.

My dad's side is originally turkish/kurdish, my great great great etc. grandfather was the first mufti of Istanbul, he has a mosque in Istanbul named after him.

"The church became a mosque, founded by the famous Kurdish scholar Molla Gürani, who was the tutor of Sultan Mehmed II and would become the first Mufti of Istanbul. The mosque is also named after him."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vefa_Kilise_Mosque

Woodrow
02-16-2009, 06:26 PM
A lot will depend upon your nationality. I can trace my Father's side partialy back to the 1700's. But on my Mother's side i can only trace back to her parents on papaer, a bit farther basd on memories she and hers aunts had, but nothing in writing. There were no written birth records kept.

Danah
02-16-2009, 06:45 PM
From what I have been told by my father who kept search and search in books, he said that our family tree end in our great great......grand father Hassan Ibh Thabit may allah be pleased with him who was one of the prophet companions and called "the poet of the prophet"

My father said also, that our tree might end at our great great.....great etc grandfather Bilal ibn Rabah who was "the prophet Muzzen" may allah be pleased with him who is another companion of prophet Mohammed peace be upon him

so, its either this or that......because our family name mentioned in both cases
Allah knows best

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fishman
02-16-2009, 06:50 PM
:sl:
I heard that Pakistanis have to keep their geneology written down by law! If they come here things will be interesting. I expect a lot of people from there will have such famous ancestors as Timurlane or the Uzbeks.

For me though, it seems simply a story of when the Angles met the Saxons... imsad

Not that the family tree has even been traced back that far though. So far I think we have worked it out back to the Victorian age.
:w:

Banu_Hashim
02-16-2009, 07:06 PM
My father's uncle has done the research (I haven't seen it personally), but on my great grandmother's side we have roots in Iraq.

Silver
02-16-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't know much about my family ancestry :S I'm lebanese with arab (Hijaz) and albanian descent.

Intisar
02-16-2009, 07:20 PM
:sl: I actually have my lineage memorised, as sad it is, I think I can as far back as the 1600's, perhaps? I also have my full background, last names and the like, memorised to. It's like a cultural thing to know it.

Al-Hanbali
02-16-2009, 07:27 PM
I remember once, we went through the family tree; all the uncles, aunties, cousins etc. I think it went back about 6-7 generations....

Apparently, we've roots from old Shaam (Syria, Palestine, Lebanon etc).

I actually have my lineage memorised, as sad it is, I think I can as far back as the 1600's, perhaps? I also have my full background, last names and the like, memorised to. It's like a cultural thing to know it.
^ I think thats kinda cool, mashaAllaah!

Musaafirah
02-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Funny you've bought this topic up. When the imam was speaking at my aunts wedding yesterday, he said, "How many of us can at least trace back 6 generations?"
I can only trace my family back to my dad's great great grandad. Not sure about my mum's side though. Thing my ancestors are back home, so I'll have to go there and ask for records if I should feel so inclined. Which I would like to do. hmmm..

Yanal
02-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Man I only have my grandfathers name to the most.

The Ruler
02-17-2009, 01:25 AM
Ara... I just asked my mum the other day. I asked if she ever wondered and she told me knowing as far as her own great-grandparents was good enough for her. Then I told her that I plan on creating a family tree. She said, "really? Start it now then". But I told her it'd start with me. But then I wonder... Yah... Hmmm.

Questfortruth
02-17-2009, 01:33 AM
My dad has a list with all his fathers names. But I sometimes question it since on the top it has Prophet Muhammad S.A.W name i doubt i can be part of such blessed family. lol My dad doesnt like it when i say that.

syilla
02-17-2009, 08:11 AM
:salamext:

It sure be a good project.

try this www.geni.com

i love it...coz other family members can add in and merge the profile :)

Banu_Hashim
02-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Yeah I think we should try our best find out where our roots lie, on both sides of the family as well. Genealogy is probably one of the most interesting areas of research, I find anyway.

Güven
02-17-2009, 12:43 PM
:sl:

tsh I know NOTHING about mine.

Intisar
02-18-2009, 12:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Yeah I think we should try our best find out where our roots lie, on both sides of the family as well. Genealogy is probably one of the most interesting areas of research, I find anyway.
It's funny because in my culture the mother's genealogy doesn't really apply, so in a sense it's ignored because the father's in passed on. The funny thing about my lineage is when I recite both my parents, they meet at one name because they're third cousins (actually my Dad is mum's uncle along the line, so technically if my mum wasn't my mum she'd be my cousin :uuh:).

Banu_Hashim
02-19-2009, 12:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
It's funny because in my culture the mother's genealogy doesn't really apply, so in a sense it's ignored because the father's in passed on. The funny thing about my lineage is when I recite both my parents, they meet at one name because they're third cousins (actually my Dad is mum's uncle along the line, so technically if my mum wasn't my mum she'd be my cousin :uuh:).
Woa... Interesting! :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.