/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Macma To Build First Mosque With Chinese Architecture

north_malaysian
02-17-2009, 02:23 AM
Macma To Build First Mosque With Chinese Architecture

February 01, 2009 22:20 PM

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 1 (Bernama) -- The Federal Territories Islamic Council has pledged RM1 million for the construction of Malaysia's first Chinese architectural mosque.

Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Dr Zahid Hamidi today told reporters that the government had approved a proposal made by the Malaysian Chinese Muslim Association (Macma).

"The mosque with Chinese architecture was approved and Macma's initiative welcomed. Apart from the RM1 million, we will contribute a "dollar for dollar" for the sum collected by Macma.

"The mosque to be build in Selayang over an area of nine hectares would accommodate 1,000 and cost about RM15 million," said Zahid after launching a Chinese New Year Celebration organised by Muslim NGOs at a mosque here today.

Zahid said Macma would also use the mosque as a tourist destination, religious centre and religious studies.

According to Zahid, the celebration which was held within the confines of Al-Mukhsinin Mosque in Taman Desa, was the first of its kind in the country and Macma should be lauded for its efforts to bring different ethnicities and religions together.

"This should also be a role played by mosques. We should not shut the door for non muslims. If we want to celebrate Deepavali or any other festival in a mosque, it should be welcomed as long as it is not for religious purposes," said Zahid.

Zahid also reminded politicians to keep politics within the confines of the Parliament and the State Assembly and to build camaraderie among each other outside the halls of power.

"Although Seputeh MP Teresa Kok was not scheduled to speak today, I asked the chairman of the celebration to invite her and give a speech. Our difference in politics is in the Parliament and State Assembly, here we are friends," he said.

During his speech, Zahid also enlightened the crowd by teasing Teresa, who is still single, to get married to a Malay man, referring to history whereby Admiral Cheng Ho of China brought Princess Hang Li Po to marry the Sultan of Melaka.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/ne....php?id=387065

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Yanal
02-17-2009, 02:26 AM
:salamext:
MashAllah,at least you have many mosques we only have 2 in 3 big cities.

alcurad
02-17-2009, 02:36 AM
good to hear.
btw was Hang Li really a princess or a slave girl?

north_malaysian
02-17-2009, 02:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
good to hear.
btw was Hang Li really a princess or a slave girl?
Hang Li Poh... according to Malay historians, she's a princess of the China's Emperor...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
02-17-2009, 03:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
:salamext:
MashAllah,at least you have many mosques we only have 2 in 3 big cities.
there are 200,000 Chinese Muslims in Malaysia and they have no mosques that preach in Chinese languages...

Güven
02-17-2009, 12:36 PM
:sl:

Thats interesting...Chinese architecture is awesome!

Amadeus85
02-17-2009, 05:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
there are 200,000 Chinese Muslims in Malaysia and they have no mosques that preach in Chinese languages...
Hi our Malay minister of information, are those Chinese mostly converts or those who came to Malaysia as muslims?(the Hui or Uighurs)

ardianto
02-17-2009, 05:45 PM
A mosque with Chinese architecture ?
This is a photo of Masjid Cheng Ho in Indonesia.

http://islaminchina.wordpress.com/20...asjid-cheng-ho

Fishman
02-17-2009, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Hi our Malay minister of information, are those Chinese mostly converts or those who came to Malaysia as muslims?(the Hui or Uighurs)
Uighurs aren't really Chinese, they are Turko-Mongol. They used to have a huge empire back in the 8th century. It was very sophisticated for a country of nomads, they even started building cities. Unfortunately Kyrgyz tribes from Siberia invaded and razed them all to the ground. The Ruins of Ordu-Baliq, the Uighur capital, can still be seen today.

Uighurs moved out of Mongolia after this catastrophe, and came to live in and around the Tarim basin. Unfortunately, the Tarim basin is one of China's peripheral areas, which China conquers whenever it gets strong enough. Today China is strong, and they intend to keep hold of the region, along with Tibet, for as long as possible.

There aren't many Hui left, I don't think. There was a massive genocide of them in the late 19th century. So I suppose those Chinese Muslims are probably converts.
EDIT: Ten million hui is quite a lot! But not by Chinese standards though! :P
:w:

north_malaysian
02-18-2009, 04:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
A great majority of Chinese Muslims in Malaysia are converts and their offsprings. Some are adopted by Malay Muslim/Indian Muslim parents and raised as Muslims.

There are some Huis in Malaysia, our current prime minister's maternal grandfather was a Hui from Hainan Island.

Never heard of Uyghurs in Malaysia...

P/S: I dont call myself an ethnic Malay... I am a Penangite.

north_malaysian
02-18-2009, 04:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
A mosque with Chinese architecture ?
This is a photo of Masjid Cheng Ho in Indonesia.

http://islaminchina.wordpress.com/20...asjid-cheng-ho
I've heard that Chinese Muslim community in Indonesia is in millions... isnt it?

north_malaysian
02-18-2009, 04:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven

Thats interesting...Chinese architecture is awesome!
I've seen pics of mosques in Beijing and Xian... awesome..

ardianto
02-18-2009, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I've heard that Chinese Muslim community in Indonesia is in millions... isnt it?
Unfortunately, millions is too much. There is no data about number of Chinese Muslims in Indonesia. I think less than 300.000.
Number of Indonesian Chinese are 9-12 millions (estimated). More than a half of them are Christians, the bigest part of the rest are Buddhists and Confusians, and in the smallest number are Muslims.

north_malaysian
02-19-2009, 12:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Unfortunately, millions is too much. There is no data about number of Chinese Muslims in Indonesia. I think less than 300.000.
Number of Indonesian Chinese are 9-12 millions (estimated). More than a half of them are Christians, the bigest part of the rest are Buddhists and Confusians, and in the smallest number are Muslims.
In Malaysia, majority of the Chinese are Buddhists, and the Chinese is one of the most multi-religious ethnic group in Malaysia too, some of them are Taoists, Confucians, Christians, Muslims, Baha'is, Hindus, Agnostics and Atheists..

300,000 Chinese Muslims in Indonesia is quite a big community too, I wonder if most of them are converts too as those in Malaysia...

We have Islamic programmes in Mandarin being broadcasted in both tv and radio stations...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.