View Full Version : To Kill a Mocking Tongue

Abu Hafs
02-20-2009, 04:39 AM
To Kill a Mocking Tongue
By Shaykh Muhammad Alshareef حفظه الله

بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم
السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
الحمد الله

Al-Ma'roor ibn Suwayd narrates that he once saw Abu Dharr – radi Allaahu 'anhu – wearing a beautiful shawl. His slave standing next to him was wearing a shawl exactly like it, warm and beautiful. Ma'roor said to Abu Dharr, "Perhaps you could take the shawl of your servant and give him another (less expensive) one."

"Never," said Abu Dharr, "for I once had a servant whose mother was not Arab and I cussed him and his mother. That servant went to the Messenger of Allah – sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam – complaining of the words I had said.

"When Rasul Allaah – sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam – saw me he commented, 'O Abu Dharr, you are a man who still has Jahilliyyah (Pre-Islamic Ignorance) in him.'"

Because of these painful words, Abu Dharr – may Allah be pleased with him - would always dress his servants in the exact same garments that he would wear. Dear brothers and sisters, Allah is disobeyed most with our tongues. There is a sin that sweeps amongst us, a sin that many take lightly, a sin that is laughed at, a sin that could very well pull someone to Hellfire: It is the sin of insulting others. Read carefully this following verse. It is a commandment of Allah that begins with a call to those who claim to have Eemaan. Allah ta'ala says in the Qur'an (49/11):

O you who believe let not one group of people make fun of another, perhaps the (one's being made fun of) are better then them. And let not women make fun of other women perhaps the (woman being made fun of) is better then them. And do not insult one another and do not call each other by (offensive) nicknames. Wretched is the name (i.e. mention) of disobedience after (one's) faith. And whoever does not repent – then it is those who are the Dhaalimoon (the wrongdoers).

Perhaps the one that is being made fun of is more beloved to Allah. Subhaan Allah, let us remember this if we ever try to make fun of someone, perhaps Allah loves them and does not love us. Didn't the Mushrikeen make fun of Rasul Allah – sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam – and we know Allah loved him and not them. Didn't the Munaafiqeen make fun of the Sahaabah – and we know Allah loved the Sahaabah and not them. Rasul Allah – sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam – said, "Verily a person will speak words from those that Allah hates, paying no heed to what he is saying, and with those words he will plummet in to hellfire." – Bukhari There are different reasons why a person would want to insult, make fun of and ridicule other community members:

read more here

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Musaafirah
02-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Jazakallahukhair for the post.
May Allah grant us the tawfeeq to guard our tongues always.

noorseeker
02-20-2009, 04:49 PM
May we all take heed Inshallah

Ummu Sufyaan
06-08-2010, 02:31 PM
:sl:
*bump...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.