/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Bombers' school pack withdrawn

Uthman
02-20-2009, 02:12 PM
The government has apologised for causing offence as it withdrew a school pack asking pupils to think about the 7 July attacks from the bombers' view.

The new teaching pack, launched by Calderdale Council in West Yorkshire, had been recommended by ministers as a way of addressing controversial issues.

One module suggests students could prepare a presentation on the 7/7 bombings from the bombers' perspective.

The government has admitted the pack was "misguided and inappropriate".

The resource, called "Things Do Change", looks at life in multicultural Britain and the issues of extremism and terrorism.

'Good citizen'

The first module examines all faiths and the "golden rule" of treating others equally.

A later module focuses specifically on the 7 July bombings and the impact on different communities in Britain.

It also suggests pupils could look at the attacks, which were carried out by four men with West Yorkshire links, from the perspective of Muslims in Britain, non-Muslim Asians in Britain and other Britons in general.

Author Sail Khan Suleman had earlier said it asks: "Is religion the problem or the solution?"

He added: "What the pack will do is create an environment whereby discussions surrounding forms of extremism can take place; people will understand what it is to become a good citizen."

But a spokesman for the Department for Children, Schools and Families, said: "While the resource in no way looks to justify or excuse the terrible events of 7/7, and is designed to educate against violent extremism, we appreciate that it may not be appropriate for use in schools.

"It's important young people discuss these difficult and controversial issues in a controlled environment but, in this case, ministers apologise for any offence caused."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
02-20-2009, 02:36 PM
I think it's useful to see the bombing's from the bomber's perspective. It can allow one to examine the reasons behind their actions, justified or otherwise.

Suomipoika
02-20-2009, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
I think it's useful to see the bombing's from the bomber's perspective. It can allow one to examine the reasons behind their actions, justified or otherwise.
To a certain degree yes, but the material was directed for ages between 11-19 (atleast according to older BBC article) and its definently not suitable for 11 year olds. Im not really sure at what age it would be suitable or if its even appropriate for schools at all.

Uthman
02-20-2009, 05:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Suomipoika
its definently not suitable for 11 year olds.
I do agree with that assessment. The whole topic is a bit too harsh for that age group. I do think that it's an important exercise though, if not for schools, then at least for the government. An examination of the root causes may be able to help with possible solutions. I'm not saying that with anything particular in mind, but I think it holds true as a general principle.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The_Prince
02-20-2009, 07:33 PM
i dont think the age should be a problem, i mean i was 13 when september 11 happened, and i understood what was going on and why, and even when i was younger i understood the reason as to why Palestinians and others were rising up and fighting against the Israelis. so starting to educate these kids from 11 onwards is a good age to start from, infact the younger they are, the more they understand, the older they get, the more they dont care and are simply indoctrinated into thinking oh its because we have democracy!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.