/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Busy mosques’ lesson for churches

Uthman
02-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Christian churches could learn a lot from thriving mosques, a Church in Wales leader said yesterday.

A report published today by the Charity Commission reveals a vibrant culture of community activism in many mosques, with many offering a variety of activities beyond worship.

The study found that at an average mosque 421 people attend regular Friday prayers – and more than half have people aged between 18 and 30 in management positions.

Almost all ran educational programmes for children and young people, three in five had women’s activities, and nearly half hosted sports and leisure events.

Saleem Kidwai, secretary general of the Muslim Council of Wales, said the reason that mosques were able to offer such a diversity of activities was that a culture of volunteering was at the heart of mosque life.

He said: “It’s a totally voluntary sector... It’s the commitment which is important.

“In Cardiff I know of five mosques that have been extending their facilities because of increasing numbers.”

The Rev Robin Morrison, Church and Society Officer for the Church in Wales, said it was crucial that Christian congregations also gave people an opportunity to play a full role.

He said: “We’ve got a lot to learn and being part of the Christian church is clearly an active thing rather than a passive thing. It should be a place where there are opportunities given and created for everyone to discover who they really are and what they can really contribute.”

Stressing that people should be given meaningful roles, he said: “There’s no use asking some senior policeman in the congregation to give the hymnbooks out. These little superficial things only satisfy very minimally.”

Mr Morrison is convinced fully involving people in the work of the church is both a practical and spiritual imperative.

He said: “That’s the secret – give people a sense they are valued for who they are and bring the best out of people all the time; being part of the body of Christ, being part of the Church, has got to be part of that.”

Mr Kidwai said people did not go to mosques because they wanted to be cut off from wider Welsh society but out of an appreciation of the “Islamic ethos”.

Describing how mosques reached out beyond the Muslim community, he said: “The football teams have non-Muslims, and the cricket teams. It’s a centre for community cohesion.

“I think three or four times a year every mosque has open days so people can look in, walk around, and see what’s happening.”

Faith communities make an economic contribution worth around £102m to Welsh life, according to a 2008 report.

Gweini – the Council of the Christian Voluntary Sector in Wales – and the Wales Council for Voluntary Action found such groups employed around 1,400 staff to work with the wider community.

Human need to be part of a wider community

More than 42,000 volunteers together gave just under 80,000 hours a week to activities. On any given week, around 7% of the population of Wales attend a religious service.

Gweini also reports that 11% of people at Christian services are aged under 30, compared to 36% of those who go to mosques.

Mr Morrison said the popularity of football was proof of the human need to be part of a wider community.

He said: “If you think of that, it gives a lot of people meaning and purpose and a rhythm to the week. They know Saturday is coming, they follow individuals – it’s almost like a religion.

“They are engaged; they are participating, they are looking for results.”

Nearly six out of 10 mosques (58%) in the survey of 255 across England and Wales had English classes; in 15% women had management responsibility.

Around one in five of the 190,000 charities on the register of charities has religious connections.

Harry Iles, head of the Charity Commission’s Wales Office, said: “I’m really interested to see the wide range of services that mosques provide, from healthy living activities to legal advice services and from fundraising for those in financial hardship to sport and leisure.”

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
02-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Survey reveals mosque insights

The average mosque in England and Wales attracts 400 attendees at Friday prayer meetings, while providing a range of community services, a survey has found.

The survey of 255 mosques also revealed that on average they had an estimated annual income of £233,452.

Most - 83% - had been established more than 10 years ago, it found.

Many of the mosques were providing education for children, charity fundraising and leisure activities, the Charity Commission study said.

The independent survey was prepared by BMG Research and commissioned by the Charity Commission's faith and social cohesion unit to provide information on mosques which has not been previously gathered.

Advice and support

Almost all, 94%, of mosques deliver educational programmes for children and young people, while 82% carry out fundraising for the relief of poverty and hardship.

The survey found 61% carry out women's groups and activities, while 47% deliver sports and leisure activities, and 31% organise activities for senior citizens.

The Charity Commission has an essential part to play in supporting all faith-based charities so that they can maximise the contribution they make to society

Dame Suzi Leather

The survey also found mosques who have had contact with the Charity Commission are more likely to have Child Protection policies, CRB checks and building insurance in place and 49% report they would go to commission staff for advice and support.

Dame Suzi Leather, chair of the Charity Commission, said the research revealed the important contribution mosques were making to communities.

She said: "I'm really interested to see the wide range of services that mosques provide, from healthy living activities to legal advice services and from fundraising for those in financial hardship to sport and leisure.

"The Charity Commission has an essential part to play in supporting all faith-based charities so that they can maximise the contribution they make to society."

Seyyed Ferjani, chair of the Mosques and Imams National Advisory Board welcomed the research, saying it was a useful starting point.

He said: "I hope it will also be a useful resource for Muslim communities throughout England and Wales. The helpful advice and information provided by the faith and social cohesion unit is clearly of benefit to those mosques which responded to the survey. "

Ghulam Rasool, head of the Charity Commission's faith and social cohesion unit said: "This research provides a useful insight into Muslim communities, and whilst we believe it is the widest survey of its kind carried out to date, it has also identified a number of areas for further research and exploration."

Source

Eric H
02-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Greetings and peace be with you brother Osman,

I think volunteers are wonderful people and they give so much back to the community, and yes I am sure we could learn from you.

I have a great respect for the people in their seventies and eighties who still help out in the community, they are an inspiration to me.

In the spirit of praying for a greater interfaith cooperation.

Eric

Uthman
02-24-2009, 10:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
I have a great respect for the people in their seventies and eighties who still help out in the community, they are an inspiration to me.
Me as well. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Izyan
02-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Well churches in the US do a lot of volunteer work all around the world. We are a nation that pride ourselves on giving. We have some the largest food and medicine drives in Africa. The thing is we have an image problem. When churches go to muslim countries we are seen as Proselyting which is not the case. Yes we do set up tents and have sermons but it is normally after the days work is done and no one is obligated to go. When we give away food and medicine it's no strings attached. We will ask you to fellowship with us but you are under no obligation to do so. Actually on most of the trips we go on religion is never brought up unless it's by a native. Normally what we talk about is family.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.