/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pro-West ads to target extremism

Uthman
02-23-2009, 06:47 PM
A new campaign to stop extremists by showing the UK is not anti-Islam has been launched in Pakistan.

"I Am The West" is aimed at men between the ages of 15 and 25 who could be influenced by extremist propaganda.

The campaign will show there is no contradiction between being Muslim and British through adverts and events.

Backed by a £520,000 government grant, the adverts feature high profile Muslims such as Communities Minister Sidiq Khan and cricketer Moeen Ali.

The campaign is intended to show Britain is not anti-Islam by demonstrating how well British Muslims have integrated into society.

'Proud Britons'

The campaign was proposed to the government by a group called Deen International, led by Khurshid Ahmed, chairman of the British Muslim Forum.

The three-month project will initially focus on three areas in Pakistan, Islamabad, Mirpur and Peshawar, which all have strong connections with the UK.

The first television advert, featuring Worcester cricketer Moeen Ali will be broadcast on Wednesday, featuring him playing cricket and reading the Koran.

There is no incompatibility with being a Muslim and having liberal British values

Dr Khurshid Ahmed
Chairman, British Muslim Forum

Dr Ahmed said: "By seeing successful British Muslims, those who are alienated from society can see that Britain is not as they perceive it. "We are proud of our Pakistani heritage, we are proud of our Muslim faith and of being British.

"There is no incompatibility with being a Muslim and having liberal British values."

The advertising campaign, on TV, radio and in the press aims to stimulate interest and debate about the project.

It will be followed up by a series of high-profile events, lectures and focus groups involving high profile British Muslims.

A spokesman for the Foreign Office said: "The government is committed to keep working with communities around the world to build safe, prosperous and inclusive societies.

"This project is a worthwhile part of that effort."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Musaafirah
02-23-2009, 06:51 PM
What kind of effect are these advertisers expecting though?
I mean those who feel alienated, will always feel alienated, those who want to mix will do so, how does advertising this change things?

doorster
02-23-2009, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafirah
What kind of effect are these advertisers expecting though?
I mean those who feel alienated, will always feel alienated, those who want to mix will do so, how does advertising this change things?
:sl:
when I was there last, it was those three place with the biggest concentration of lunatic mullahs. I am from Mirpur and hardly anyone is literate enough to research for themselves in my part of the country.

Ignorance and poverty of my community made it a fertile ground for those Afghan trouble makers to invite people to deviant ideologies

locking them up does not work, it only makes heroes martyrs out of them so the only way seems to be to show the people the liars that they are!

Musaafirah
02-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Oh, I do apologise!
I just re-read the thread and realised my mistake.
I though that it was initially targeted in this country, where people have access to so many things. Re-reading, I've realised that it's not the case.
So I kind of understand the logic, but do you seriously think the advertising will make that much of an impact?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
doorster
02-23-2009, 07:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafirah
Oh, I do apologise!
I just re-read the thread and realised my mistake.
I though that it was initially targeted in this country, where people have access to so many things. Re-reading, I've realised that it's not the case.
So I kind of understand the logic, but do you seriously think the advertising will make that much of an impact?
I hope so and pray for that

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.