/* */

PDA

View Full Version : the "psychology" behind imitaing people

Ummu Sufyaan
02-24-2009, 08:42 AM
:sl:
scenario: person A does/wants to do and says almost everything that person B does/says. person A cannot stand this and wishes that person B would just have her own mind and opinions....

^thats a true story btw (not about me though) but WHY?
seriously, why do people like to copy and imitate others. whats the "psychology" behind it? are there any studies done, etc...
usually i can figure these things out, but in this case, nothing really makes sense...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
zanjabeela
02-24-2009, 09:06 AM
The few times I've noticed people doing this, they imitator tends to fall into either one of three categories. First, they might be suffering from low self-esteem and therefore do not believe their own thoughts, feelings, and behaviors are good enough. Or, they want to fit in with a certain "type" of person, and that won't be possible if that person is not accepting of him/her having their own thoughts. Thirdly, the imitator might simply be overwhelmed by someone's "charisma," either negative or positive, and rather than go against the tide of that charisma, it's easier to just succumb to it.

They might not even recognize it as copying...they usually do it kind of innately. Kind of like how the Pied Piper, or a svengali just get people to fall in line.

Mmmmm it's late, so my powers of thinking and communicating are diminishing. Hope more people pitch in with ideas...great topic! :)

:w:

aamirsaab
02-24-2009, 10:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
scenario: person A does/wants to do and says almost everything that person B does/says. person A cannot stand this and wishes that person B would just have her own mind and opinions....

seriously, why do people like to copy and imitate others. whats the "psychology" behind it? are there any studies done, etc...
usually i can figure these things out, but in this case, nothing really makes sense...
Possible reasons:
A) that person they are copying is a role model of some sort (i.e older, stronger, faster etc)
B) Humans mimic - it's how we learn.
C) Conformity - we go with whatever that guy is doing. Because that guy is doing it!

Re.TiReD
02-24-2009, 11:14 AM

:wasalamex

No idea to be honest, but with me its probably because (s)he is looking for a guide, somebody to follow. I think its natural in us that when we dont know what we're doing or if we're confused, we follow the next person who looks as though they know what they're doing. E.G If I was trying something out for the first time in my life, say skiing....And didnt know what I was doing, I'd imitate the closest person who did.

I think its same with others too, if individuals dont know where to go in life, what they want....what to study, they'll look to the nearest person that has suceeded, or somebody who they respect, and copy them. I think thats how it works.

Either that or they just really love you.

:salamext:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
02-25-2009, 06:15 PM

That's influence in action.

Humans learn by imititation. There's also the issue of comformity - the Alpha-type personalities tend to set the trends, and everyone else falls in line.

And then there are creepy stalker-type people who need restraining orders.

جوري
02-26-2009, 07:16 PM
imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..
There is a better term called 'introjection' which is an unconscious internalization of aspects of the world (especially aspects of persons) within the self in such a way that the internalized representation takes over the psychological functions of the external objects.
We all do it, it is subconscious. They say the best example of that is a medical student or resident modeling the behavior of his attending, because of the values s/he embodies which on a subconscious level the young student/intern desires possession and projection of.

It is actually rather sweet, if one is indeed unconscious of it.. if conscious then it is pretty creepy lol

But when you think about it, save for our innate instincts, all our behavior is influenced by someone we admire, the environment, circumstance, upbringing etc etc

it can be argued that most Muslims would like to model their behavior to that of prophet Mohammed PBUH

my two cents

:w:

Muezzin
02-26-2009, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argon Gossamer
imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..
It can also be the sincerest form of copyright infringement :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.