/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What's behind a name....

Hafswa
02-24-2009, 01:23 PM
I have always been interested in what certain names mean especially for cultures that name after a character trait, a hero , or a parent/relative.... example one would be called Leo after a Lion to depict courage,bravery and being the Alpha( leadership)......
What's behind your name or any other name you like?

PS: Someone please clarify if the name Fairuz(Feiruz) means precious stone.....thank you :thankyou:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
_PakistaN_
02-25-2009, 05:48 AM
My name is Tamoor. People ask me my name and when I tell them they say he was a great king. I don't really care.

saba muslimah
02-25-2009, 06:03 AM
name Fairuz(Feiruz) means precious stone
it isn't fariz..?? in pronounce
its islamic name...

Tilmeez
02-25-2009, 06:16 AM
Tariq is the star that appears in the east before the morning. It also means the traveller of night/dark.

Feroza (oft Feminine) is a stone used in jewellery.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Silver
02-25-2009, 06:31 AM
it isn't fariz..?? in pronounce
its islamic name...
No it's not islamic. There are christian women named Fairouz.

alcurad
02-25-2009, 06:50 AM
Hashim: means destroyer , or generous. originally, it was used by the Jews to refer to God, it mean "The Name"..
Hamza:from hamaza, to urge on, goad

zanjabeela
02-25-2009, 08:03 AM
Muslims sometimes name their children for great figures in Islamic history (going back, of course, to include "Judeo-Christian" figures such as Moses and Mary alayhimus salaam), with the hope that their children will live up to the characteristics found in those people. Well, that's what my parents did with us, anyhow.

Feroz/Feroza is a name, and it's this stone, known in English as turquoise:

Hafswa
02-25-2009, 09:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by _PakistaN_
My name is Tamoor. People ask me my name and when I tell them they say he was a great king. I don't really care.
Ever ask your parents why they named you after this King?

Hafswa
02-25-2009, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=zanjabeela;1103723]Muslims sometimes name their children for great figures in Islamic history (going back, of course, to include "Judeo-Christian" figures such as Moses and Mary alayhimus salaam), with the hope that their children will live up to the characteristics found in those people. Well, that's what my parents did with us, anyhow.QUOTE]

So who were you named after and what is the trait that you would like to emulate?

format_quote Originally Posted by zanjabeela
Feroz/Feroza is a name, and it's this stone, known in English as turquoise:

This is so cooooollll.....thanks!

Hafswa
02-25-2009, 09:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
No it's not islamic. There are christian women named Fairouz.
I agree. My friend is called Feiruz and yes she is a Christian.

*Yasmin*
02-25-2009, 10:33 AM
What's behind your name or any other name you like?
yasmin ..a sort of roses, my mum loves roses so she named me that name

the name can't represent the the person as he is indeed in all the cases
some ppl even think the name has influence in the person
for ex- one of my relatives was stubborn so they change her name> for me it nonesense >>her first name was eman (means faith) from the most awesome names
if the the name depict the person so that's great but not necessarily.

Sanobar
02-25-2009, 10:37 AM
sanobar means a tree... lol.. dont knw what my parents were thinking off? treee?i never asked them aswell lol

Hafswa
02-25-2009, 11:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *Yasmin*
yasmin ..a sort of roses, my mum loves roses so she named me that name

the name can't represent the the person as he is indeed in all the cases
some ppl even think the name has influence in the person
for ex- one of my relatives was stubborn so they change her name> for me it nonesense >>her first name was eman (means faith) from the most awesome names
if the the name depict the person so that's great but not necessarily.
LOL....they actually changed her name....This shouldn't have be the case really but like I said some beliefs and cultures do influence this.

saba muslimah
02-25-2009, 12:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hafswa
LOL....they actually changed her name....This shouldn't have be the case really but like I said some beliefs and cultures do influence this.
Hafswa= Is dat ur name??:hmm: wat Does it mean??

Hafswa
02-25-2009, 12:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by saba muslimah
Hafswa= Is dat ur name??:hmm: wat Does it mean??
I should have actually started with this one....It's not my name, just a nickname from friends and it should actually be Hafsa( am working on the change)....which I have come to find out was one of Mohammed's(Prophet's) wives

MO783
02-25-2009, 12:42 PM
:sl:

My name is Muhammad which means praise worthy.

saba muslimah
02-27-2009, 10:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hafswa
I should have actually started with this one....It's not my name, just a nickname from friends and it should actually be Hafsa( am working on the change)....which I have come to find out was one of Mohammed's(Prophet's) wives
Oh allright... ye nice Name... :smile:

Sahabiyaat
02-27-2009, 02:34 PM
the closest u can get to Noreen, is Noor, which means light :thankyou:
although i once read in an urdu book, it means diamond.

kjra
03-01-2009, 05:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MO783
:sl:

My name is Muhammad which means praise worthy.
Defiantely this is one of the best names................

My name means flowers....but i wish i had an islamic name. It might not have changed who i am but still would make me proud to be called after one of the rightous people of our ummah. :)

Musaafirah
03-01-2009, 05:36 PM
I have no idea what my name means. Different people i come across tell me, that if I change the pronunciation it'll mean this etc...
Apparently the imaam that named me said it had a good meaning. So now it's a case of calling up my relatives in BD to find that out.
Is there anywhere we can find out the meaning of 'unusual' names on the net?

Hafswa
03-03-2009, 04:37 AM
[QUOTE=kjra;1105372]Defiantely this is one of the best names................

My name means flowers....but i wish i had an islamic name. It might not have changed who i am but still would make me proud to be called after one of the rightous people of our ummah. :)[/QUOTE

What Islamic name would it be if asked to choose one for yourself?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!