/* */

PDA

View Full Version : God's Location? Theists Only

Indigåtor
02-24-2009, 04:37 PM
A simple poll to feed my curiosity about where theists believe their God(s) is.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
kwolney01
02-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Allah created everything around us, so he is not subject to space or time. Since Allah created these things he does not need them. There is no "place" some where that Allah is. Allah is beyond these physical locations, He is much greater than that.

K.Venugopal
02-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Where is God not?

Indigåtor
02-24-2009, 04:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kwolney01
Allah created everything around us, so he is not subject to space or time. Since Allah created these things he does not need them. There is no "place" some where that Allah is. Allah is beyond these physical locations, He is much greater than that.
Peace kwolney01,

I like your point of view. I reckon then you've voted for option 4. Did you have any evidence from the Qur'an or hadiths to back up your belief?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Indigåtor
02-24-2009, 04:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by K.Venugopal
Where is God not?
Omnipresent? You either judge the universe as being God/bearing the essence of God, or that nature itself is divine.

Feel free to explain away.

K.Venugopal
02-24-2009, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kwolney01
Allah exists. This is a belief. We exist. This is a fact. Facts can be located. Beliefs can only be imagined. Locating Allah is the purpose of human life. Those who have located him say that He is our very soul - the soul of existence.

Hamayun
02-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Voted: option 4

Reason: A creator can not exist within his/her creation. Therefore he does not exist in a place.

If he existed within his (I say "his" because english does not have an appropriate gender for God) creation then he would not be God.

Hope that makes sense?

K.Venugopal
02-24-2009, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Indigåtor

Omnipresent? You either judge the universe as being God/bearing the essence of God, or that nature itself is divine.

Feel free to explain away.
All existence is one, is of one essence and that essence is LIFE, is God. As long as man separates God from himself, he would continue to be restless. But when man unites with God in the understanding that he is part of God, then he, being part of God, becomes God - just as the waves, being part of the ocean, becomes the ocean.

alcurad
02-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Allah is not bound by time & space, true, but it's actually quite complicated from there on. or not,,
In Islam he has several 'names', these are attributes that can't mostly be his without his creation, such as the merciful, the creator and so on.

One of the names, in close translation means 'the All knowing', this means that he knew of us even before our creation, so we were part of his knowledge, and his knowledge is eternal as he is. Before our existence, we were a possibility for existence. Without creating, 'The Creator' is only a possibility, not manifest yet.

he is the only being existing absolutely, truly, we-and the rest of his creation- exist temporally, relatively.

He is described in arabic as a 'That', which approximately means 'self/being', his 'That' separate from his attributes is nowhere in regards to us, it is beyond creation, his names and attributes, that are the names and attributes of the 'That' are-appearently- in this world; his creation.
They are his actions, the link between us-and all creation- and him.
We notice his actions, and through them know of him, but not him, for he is beyond us, greater than us.

Some notice his actions behind all occurrences, and thus are lost within him; his actions, thus are not aware of the difference. In Islam we clearly separate between Allah and his creation, true, we do seek, and long for him, but we are not him.

YusufNoor
02-25-2009, 12:18 AM
The poll is faulty, Allah Subhannahu wa Ta' Aala exists over and above the heavens and the earth (creation).

This Verse 2:255 is called Ayat-ul-Kursi, explains:

255:
Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. Neither slumber, nor sleep overtake Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission? He knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world, and what will happen to them in the Hereafter . And they will never compass anything of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great.
:w:

alcurad
02-25-2009, 12:31 AM
^ that would be the standard reply, and really the best, it doesn't benefit us much form such musings..

Ibn Abi Ahmed
02-25-2009, 01:05 AM
:sl:

The belief of mainstream Muslims' is that God is separate from His creation. He is above the Heavens' above His Throne as He has informed us in the Qur'an:

{The Most Merciful [who is] above the Throne established.}{20; 5}

I've added a poll option accordingly. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, if I feel that the discussion is diverging, turning deeply philosophical, or getting nowhere, I'll probably have to close it.

Dawud_uk
02-25-2009, 05:46 AM
i chose the one closest to my view, as Allah himself says he rose above his throne, what this means Allahu Alim.

north_malaysian
02-25-2009, 09:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
i chose the one closest to my view, as Allah himself says he rose above his throne, what this means Allahu Alim.
:thumbs_up

Danah
02-25-2009, 01:32 PM
above his throne and the throne is above the heavens.....so my answer is above the heavens

MinAhlilHadeeth
02-25-2009, 02:03 PM
:salamext:

Allaah is fee as-Samaa' (above The Heavens), Mustawin 'ala al-'Arshih (over His Throne), separate from His Creation.

Al-Hanbali
02-25-2009, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faizah
:salamext:

Allaah is fee as-Samaa' (above The Heavens), Mustawin 'ala al-'Arshih (over His Throne), separate from His Creation.
^ Agreed!

Uthman
02-25-2009, 03:54 PM
This doesn't really answer the question but is a beautiful narration. Prophet Muhammad (Sallallaahu 'Alayhi Wa-Sallam) said:

‘Compared with the kursi (seat of honor), the whole universe is as little as a ring thrown upon a desert. Similarly, compared with the ‘arsh (throne), the kursi is as little as a ring thrown upon the desert.’

SubhaanAllah. How can we even begin to imagine the greatness of Allah.

Banu_Hashim
02-26-2009, 07:19 AM
option number 5!

Indigåtor
03-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks to all who voted and replied. By 'heaven' I did indeed mean 'above the seven heavens', or over the universe.

It appears a few Muslims here disagree with physically locating God due to the unseen 'area' over the heavens itself being a creation of God. I agree with their proposition. Interestingly, most of you have favoured the literal interpretation.

How do you account for the logic that anything above the 'seven heavens' [the divine presence] too is created; God positioning Himself within His own creation? If we consider God's location to be uncreated then we have basically invented another god, but, if we assume it was created and yet God exists in it, that would mean God has identified Himself with what He created.

"God rose above and firmly established Himself on the throne in a way that befits His majesty" is a vague explanation. Where do you think God was before He created the arsh, kursi and the heavens?

This question applies to Christians and Jews also, but none of them voted or shared their opinions in this topic. Where's that ol' Grace Seeker, I wonder what he has to say on the matter. :)

Peace,

Indigåtor

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-02-2009, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Indigåtor
Thanks to all who voted and replied. By 'heaven' I did indeed mean 'above the seven heavens', or over the universe.

It appears a few Muslims here disagree with physically locating God due to the unseen 'area' over the heavens itself being a creation of God. I agree with their proposition. Interestingly, most of you have favoured the literal interpretation.

How do you account for the logic that anything above the 'seven heavens' [the divine presence] too is created; God positioning Himself within His own creation? If we consider God's location to be uncreated then we have basically invented another god, but, if we assume it was created and yet God exists in it, that would mean God has identified Himself with what He created.

"God rose above and firmly established Himself on the throne in a way that befits His majesty" is a vague explanation. Where do you think God was before He created the arsh, kursi and the heavens?

This question applies to Christians and Jews also, but none of them voted or shared their opinions in this topic. Where's that ol' Grace Seeker, I wonder what he has to say on the matter. :)

Peace,

Indigåtor
Like I said before, this thread will be closed, as the other one was if the discussions get too philosophical and I think it's already heading in that direction. I provided you the belief of mainstream Muslims of the past and of today regarding their beliefs in this area. The pious predecessors had a consensus on this belief and none of them delved deep into this topic except the heretics such as the Jahmiyyah and the Mu'tazilah. As Imam Malik said, to question al-Istiwaa (the rising over the Throne) is an innovation; al-Istiwaa is known, belief in it is obligatory and the how is unknown. No need to question and preoccupy ourselves with something that won't benefit us and will put people into confusion and fitnah which is why this thread needs to be closed.

Imam Ahmad b. Hanbal, the Imaam of Ahlus Sunnah, said in his book 'The Refutation of the Heretics and the Jahmiyyah':
XII. Where Allah is and Where He is Not

Bab: An exposition of the denial by the Jahmiya that Allah is on the throne.

We asked them: Why do you deny that Allah is on the throne when He said: The God of Mercy rose above His throne? 20-4 And again, ...Who in six days created the Heavens and the Earth... then mounted His throne. 25-60 They replied: He is under the seven earths as He is on the throne; He is in heaven, on earth and in every place; there is no place where he is not, no is He in one place to the exclusion of any other. And they quoted the verse: And He is God in the Heavens and on the Earth. 6-3 We said: The Muslims know of many a place where there is no trace whatsoever of the might of the Lord. They said: And where is that? We replied: Your bodies, your insides and pigs’ insides, in privies and unclean places, in all of which there is no trace of the Lord’s might.

Allah told us that He is in Heaven, saying: What are ye sure that He who is in Heaven will not cleave the Earth beneath you?..Or are you sure that He who is in Heaven will not send against you a stone-charged whirl-wind? 67-16,17 And again: ...The good word riseth up to Him. 35-2 And again: ...O Jesus! Verily I will take thee and raise thee to Myself. 3-55 And again: ...But Allah took him up to Himself. 4-156 And again: All beings in Heaven and in Earth are His, and they who are in His presence... 21-19 And again: They fear their Lord who is above them... 16-52 And again: ...The Master of those ascents 70-3 And again: His servants... 6-18 And again: ...He is the High, the Great. 2-256 This then tells us that He is in Heaven.

The following verses show us that all beneath Him are villainous: Verily the hypocrites shall be in the lowest abyss of the fire...4-144 And again: And they who believe not shall say, O our Lord! Show us those of the jinn and men who led us astray: both of them will we put under our feet that they be of the humbled. 41-29 We added: Do you not know that iblis has his place and the devils have theirs? Allah and Iblis can not be both in one place. The meaning of Allah’s word: ‘He is God in heaven and upon earth’ is that to him belong those in Heaven and those in earth; that He is on the throne and that His knowledge embraces all that lies beneath the throne; and that there is no place not embraced by His knowledge. As He said: ... That ye may know that Allah hath power over all things, and that Allah in His knowledge embraceth all things. 65-12

An example illustrating this is that of a man holding in his hand a cup of clear crystal full of a limpid draught; every man’s eye takes in the cup without each man lying within the cup. And Allah, who is to be likened to what is loftiest, takes in all His creation without being in any of it. Another apt illustration is that of a man who built a house with all its accessories. He then closed the door and went out: he will not fail, thereupon, to know the number of rooms in his house and their size without being inside it. And Allah, who is to be likened to what is loftiest, embraces all that He has created, knowing how and what it is, without being inside any of His creation.

XIII. Allah is by His Knowledge Omnipresent

Bab: An exposition of the Jahmiya interpretation of Allah’s word: ...Three persons speak not privately together, but He is their fourth... 58-8

We said, (referring them to be opening of the same verse), Allah says: Dost thou net see that Allah knoweth all that is in the Heavens and all that is in the earth, by which Allah informs us that He knows what is in the Heavens and on Earth. To which He added: ...Three persons speak not privately together, but He is their fourth... that is, He is so by His knowledge; and, ...Nor five, but He is their sixth –by His knowledge: and ...Nor fewer nor more, but wherever they be He is with them... –by His knowledge: and, ...then on the day of ressurrection He will tell them of their deeds: for Allah knoweth all things. The verse thus begins and ends with Allah’s knowledge.

XIV. A Refutation that Allah is Every Place

Bab: If you wish to know that the Jahmi lies against Allah, in saying that Allah is in every place abd is not in one place to the exclusion of any other,

Say: Was there not Allah when there was nothing else? He will assent. Then say: When He made a thing, did He do so inside or outside of Him? Three possibilities follow: If he asserts that Allah created all things within Himself, including jinn, men and devils, he denies the faith. If he says that He created them outside of Himself and then entered into them, including all the wild, squalid and vile places –this too infidelity. And if he says He created them outside of Himself and then did not enter into them, he has abandoned his position for that of the ahl-Sunna.

Ahmad b. Hanbal, 'Radd 'ala'l-Zandiqah wa'l-Jahmiyyah'
Imaam Ahmad's words on the topic are sufficient.

Thread closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.