/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ** Your ideal world: UTOPIA vs DISTOPIA**

medlink student
02-24-2009, 07:16 PM
:sl:

I have to write a utopia (or) a distopia* short story for my coursework.
(I'm a GCSE student) A bit confused and can't think of any exciting/ interesting ideas.
I want to write a utopia, but I don't have any exciting information, apart from a (heavenly like explanation eg. gardens etc..). So if you can advise me what choice to take, and/or provide me with some ideas i would be grateful!

Please share your ideas. I look forward to reading them. :)
Jazakom Allah khairan/ Thanks

* Utopia: (imaginary) perfect world
* Distopia: (imaginary) imperfect world

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
czgibson
02-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Greetings,

One quick word of advice: it's usually harder to write convincingly about a utopia. Many attempts at it end up sounding soppy and weak.

For a dystopia, you can take almost any imaginary imperfection and just follow its logical consequences. For instance, you could have a world where everybody was forced to watch television all day every day, or where traffic wardens held ultimate power, or where eating fruit was punishable by death. Think about what the consequences of those horrible scenarios might be!

By the way, if you have other questions about English, you could always check out the English Department here.

Peace

Uthman
02-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Good advertising there ^^ :D

In addition, I would imagine that utopias often end up sounding very boring. I think every good story needs a problem or some source of conflict and that can't really happen in a utopian world can it, else it's not a utopia!

Al-Zaara
02-26-2009, 07:18 AM
A utopian story can though become interesting if you're very creative on what things will solve the world's problems, for example. You can take things over the top and make the impossible possible. Out of the most weirdest things, make it sounds rational and logical. You can ridicule already existing happenings in the world and make a contrast with the utopian sides, you know, some sort of utopian satire story.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
medlink student
02-26-2009, 04:22 PM
thank you all for your advice, it was very helpful.
Any more ideas are welcome :)

Muezzin
02-26-2009, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by o.elmais

I have to write a utopia (or) a distopia* short story for my coursework.
(I'm a GCSE student) A bit confused and can't think of any exciting/ interesting ideas.
I want to write a utopia, but I don't have any exciting information, apart from a (heavenly like explanation eg. gardens etc..). So if you can advise me what choice to take, and/or provide me with some ideas i would be grateful!

Please share your ideas. I look forward to reading them. :)
Jazakom Allah khairan/ Thanks

* Utopia: (imaginary) perfect world
* Distopia: (imaginary) imperfect world
You could do both. A utopia that is only Paradise for certain people because of the Hell they put others through to achieve and maintain it.

Do it well enough, with a good grasp of character, plot and theme, and you'll get an A *.

If you'd like to read entire forums' worth of writing stuff, Google 'AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler'.

Green_shoes
02-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Its easier to write about the positive things, you can be more imaginative
you can consider some of the issues we already have and hwo you'd like to see them or how you think everyone would be better off
for example you can talk about ownership and distribution of wealth, equality between people, education and benefit supervision relationship between countries or different governements, economic union to help trading or monetary union even
the list is endless but i'd write a few conving and good ooints and try to expand on them even if they sound unrealistic but you see as a positive thing towards utopia write it down and maybe think how it could be achieved or could help another thing being achieved

hope that helps :)

medlink student
03-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Salam alikom...

I chose to do Utopia. Any ideas to put a twist in it, please?

like falling in a hole and landing in dystopia ? etc...

Muezzin
04-01-2009, 08:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by o.elmais
Salam alikom...

I chose to do Utopia. Any ideas to put a twist in it, please?

like falling in a hole and landing in dystopia ? etc...
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
A utopia that is only Paradise for certain people because of the Hell they put others through to achieve and maintain it.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

:p

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.