/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Apartheid culture' existed at Met police station, Muslim officer tells tribunal

Uthman
02-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Scotland Yard's claims to have put its racist past behind it suffered a blow yesterday when it was alleged that senior officers allowed a "culture of apartheid" at a police station where white officers threatened black colleagues and refused to ride in the same van.

The allegations will be heard at an employment tribunal tomorrow and will embarrass the force, whose head, Sir Paul Stephenson, yesterday said the Metropolitan police was no longer institutionally racist. He was speaking at a conference to mark the 10th anniversary of the Macpherson report into the bungled Stephen Lawrence murder investigation.

The allegations of discrimination and victimisation to be heard at a tribunal this week - which the Met will deny - centre on Belgravia police station in central London. A Muslim police community support officer (PCSO), Asad Saeed, claims white officers framed him by alleging he had abused and threatened to assault a drunk vagrant in a McDonald's burger restaurant in central London.

The officer was ordered to be dismissed, but later reinstated on appeal. Both of the internal police discipline hearings heard allegations of racism that Scotland Yard thought belonged to the canteen culture of two decades ago.

One senior white officer privately believed one of Saeed's accusers was a racist, according to Saeed's claims. The officer, a superintendent, wrote that the racism allegations were disturbing and that "it appeared the lessons of Lawrence were in need of relearning", Saeed's lawyers will claim at the tribunal.

According to Saeed's grounds of claim, lodged with the court, white and ethnic minority community support officers at the station lived separate lives. Referring to one alleged incident, the ground of his claim says: "The claimant reported that on 23 February 2007 a [white] PCSO had ordered a black PCSO to get out of his patrol van and into 'the black van' where the claimant and another black PCSO were already sat. After the ejection of [the black] PCSO the van comprised only white PCSOs. The claimant reported that there was an 'apartheid' culture amongst the PCSOs at Belgravia and that when the [white] PCSO was driving the patrol van he refused to pick up the claimant during his shifts."

In his claim Saeed says CCTV evidence from the incident that led to his dismissal was withheld from him by police bosses. He says it also shows one of his white colleagues, who claimed to have witnessed the incident, was not in the restaurant.

Saeed, a former publican, was accused by the white officers weeks after joining the Met as a PCSO. He had hoped to become a fully fledged police officer.

In its defence filed to the employment tribunal the Met says the two white PCSOs had claimed Saeed had threatened them. They say the officer did not make any allegation of racism until after he had been placed under investigation.

The Met's defence says that at the hearing that led to Saeed's dismissal the panel was concerned about the "demeanour" of one of his accusers.

It accepts other officers, apart from Saeed, made accusations that a white officer was "racist" including one black woman officer who "raised a concern that people were not confident that racism would not be tolerated".

The Met's document goes on to say: "The board was concerned by this evidence, but considered it was not germane to the allegations against the claimant."

In a statement Scotland Yard said: "This is an isolated case and not representative of day-to-day reality in the Met. Diversity amongst PCSOs is good, 1 in every 3 PCSOs are from a black and minority ethnic background (BME) and last year (07/08) 52% of BME police officer recruits were previously PCSOs. This suggests working in the Met is a positive experience for most."

Alfred John, chair of the Metropolitan branch of the Black Police Association, said: "It displays all the hallmarks of a very familiar and disturbing picture."

Saeed's MP, George Galloway, said: "It is quite clear there was a culture of overt racism in the station which was tolerated, if not encouraged, by senior management.

"Asad was wrongly dismissed from the police service."

Yard's view

Scotland Yard's commissioner, Sir Paul Stephenson, declared for the first time yesterday that his force was no longer institutionally racist.

"I have to say that, in all honesty, I no longer believe that label to be either appropriate or useful," he said. "I have set out the evidence that demonstrates we have moved from collective failure to a collective determination to ensure that our service does not discriminate and that we truly reflect the diversity of London in our ranks ... What matters to the people of London is that we continue to change."

Alfred John, chairman of the Metropolitan Black Police Association, said: "Saying there are pockets of institutional racism is like saying there are pockets of cancer. The results are still the same ... As a black or minority officer, we are more likely to be disciplined or asked to resign."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
02-25-2009, 05:28 PM
This comes a few days after Justice Secretary Jack Staw claimed that, as a whole, the met is no longer institutionally racist but admitted that there may still be 'pockets of racism' left in the force.

I genuinely don't understand racism since it just makes no logical sense to me.

Uthman
03-02-2009, 05:28 PM
PCSOs 'faced racism and violence'

Staff at a police station in central London have encountered violence and racist bullying, an internal Scotland Yard investigation has found.

Many police community support officers (PCSOs) in Belgravia were afraid to speak out and some were assaulted or threatened by colleagues, it added.

The review was submitted to an employment tribunal brought by a PCSO.

He said there was an "apartheid" system at the station with separate vans used to transport black and white officers.

Asad Saeed claims senior Metropolitan Police officers at Belgravia station "turned a blind eye to racism".

He was dismissed after allegedly assaulting a homeless man at a fast-food restaurant near Victoria station in central London, tribunal documents stated.

'Humiliating and disturbing'

The report said there was "no doubting the credibility and consistency" of employees' accounts.

Mr Saeed's claims centre on two colleagues who have since resigned from the force, who faced charges of gross misconduct.

It felt as though sneezing was an offence if you were not white

Peter Campbell
PCSO, Metropolitan Police

"It was obvious that there was an established racial divide," he added, saying that this became apparent "a week or so" after he joined the Metropolitan Police as a PCSO in January 2007.

One colleague who was a van driver would refuse to pick up PCSOs who were not white, Mr Saeed alleged.

"At first I thought he was just anti-social but very soon I started to think it may have something to do with me being the only Asian Muslim on the team," he said.

"I found it humiliating and disturbing whenever I called him on the radio and he would not answer.

"The airwaves were public as well, so everyone knew it was going on."

'Treated like dogs'

A second PCSO, Peter Campbell, said he also witnessed racism and inappropriate behaviour at Belgravia police station.

"It felt as though sneezing was an offence if you were not white," he said.
He described a stormy evening in 2007 when non-white PCSOs were told to form a cordon, while white colleagues were inside, watching TV.

"We were treated like dogs that night," Mr Campbell said. The force asked Sgt Sarah Cashman to look into complaints about unacceptable behaviour, which her report has stated took place over "a prolonged period of time".

Among claims of racist language were an allegation that one officer said: "Stick by me and we will bring down all the lazy blacks, one by one."

Documents given to the tribunal also include allegations of homophobic abuse and intimidation among staff.

Asked about Mr Saeed's allegations last week, the force's new commissioner, Sir Paul Stephenson, described them as "appalling", but said it was not clear when they began.

"If it did take place it is appalling, and if it was known about, I want to know what was done about it."

Source (BBC News)

Muezzin
03-02-2009, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
This comes a few days after Justice Secretary Jack Staw claimed that, as a whole, the met is no longer institutionally racist but admitted that there may still be 'pockets of racism' left in the force.

I genuinely don't understand racism since it just makes no logical sense to me.
Human beings don't make logical sense.

Racists are being even more idiotic than homo sapiens are inclined to be.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
03-03-2009, 09:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Human beings don't make logical sense.

Racists are being even more idiotic than homo sapiens are inclined to be.
True say.

Uthman
03-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Police played 'spot the black officer in the dark', tribunal hears

Racist police officers were given a "licence to bully" their ethnic minority colleagues by bosses who turned a blind eye to threats of violence and a culture of apartheid that gripped a London police station, it was today alleged.

The allegations are contained in legal documents submitted by Asad Saeed, a Muslim PCSO who is suing the Met for racial discrimination at an employment tribunal that began today.

He says he worked for barely a month at Belgravia station in central London in February 2007, before being suspended after two white racist colleagues who "framed" him. He was sacked from the force, but later reinstated on appeal with CCTV evidence disproving a claim from one of his accusers that Saeed, 35, had assaulted a vagrant while on duty.

The claims from Saeed and other black officers are some of the worst concerning racism to hit Scotland Yard in modern times. But more troubling for the new Met commissioner, Sir Paul Stephenson who last week declared the force's racist past was behind it, are the repeated claims from Saeed and his colleagues that when senior officers were told, they tried to silence the whistle blowers.

One ethnic minority officer told of the culture of fear at Belgravia station which was incited by a white boss.

PCSO Peter Campbell said an inspector at the station drew up a hit list of black officers to be got rid of, and shared the list with white officers.

In his witness statement, submitted to the tribunal today, Campbell said: "This is what gave bullies like PCSO Geoff Whitehead and PCSO Royston Upson a licence to bully the ethnic minority PCSOs."

Things were so bad at the station that white officers rode in a separate van to ethnic minority colleagues, barring entry to any black officer who tried to get in, and refused requests to pick them up.

Documents supporting Saeed's claims say the "apartheid" began in 2003.
In June 2006 a white PCSO is alleged to have reported racist remarks by Whitehead to senior management, but no action was taken.

The canteen and television rooms were also subject to "apartheid" with white officers and their black colleagues sitting separately.

Campbell also alleged that at times black officers were "treated like dogs" and that senior officers played a racist game called "spot the PCSO".

Campbell said: "When we were on the beat after dark we would often notice a police car following us. Eventually one of the police constables told me that they were playing a game called 'spot the PCSO'.

"We would look over and see two white police officers gawping at us from the vehicle.

"The joke was that all PCSOs had black or brown skin colour so they were very hard to see in the dark.

"When I found out that police constables and senior police officers played this game I was extremely upset."

Saeed says his race hate ordeal began on his first day at Belgravia when Whitehead refused to shake his hand.

Days later Saeed saw the same white officer bar a black colleague from a vehicle, saying: "You need to get in the black van".

Documents show other officers confirming the black and white van system.

A woman officer was threatened, her chair kicked and sworn at, being called "a ****ing *****".

A senior officer was overheard complaining about "****ing foreigners", two white officers bragged of connections to the BNP, while on duty homeless people sleeping in the street were kicked in the stomach, and smuggled goods were traded in the station.

Saeed says bosses turned a blind eye to this, and after his suspension a senior officer ignored his complaints of racism saying it was "a smokescreen": "At Belgravia, they turned a blind eye to racism,", his witness statement says.

In August 2008, an internal report by sergeant Sarah Cashman, found the claims from the ethnic minority PCSOs had "credibility and consistency".

The investigation found black PCSOs scared to speak because of past threats and assaults by coleagues.

Whitehead and Upson have both left the force.

A document reveals that a Met internal investigation produced enough evidence to bring a disciplinary charge against Whitehead for racism, harassment and bullying of colleagues, and for running the apartheid van system.

He quit before the hearing.

The Met is denying the claim bought by Saeed and the hearing continues.

Source (Guardian)

Whatsthepoint
03-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Spot the black officer in the dark:D
with that aid, I think racism is totally bad and unjustified and should be prevented using all means possible.:peace:^o)

It's true however that some people simply can't take a joke and overreact everytime a black man and an apple pie are mentiond in the same sentence. I'm not saying this is the case hre, I'm just saying it happenes and white people get blamed for nothing.

Muezzin
03-03-2009, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Spot the black officer in the dark:D
Officers' high visibility jackets like highlighter pens kind of kill that joke.

Unless the person reading it is blind.

Whatsthepoint
03-03-2009, 10:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Officers' high visibility jackets like highlighter pens kind of kill that joke.

Unless the person reading it is blind.
haha:D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.