/* */

PDA

View Full Version : cant believe some people really think like this, subhanAllah

Ourra-Tul-'Ain
02-26-2009, 01:08 PM
O my Lord,

if I worship you
from fear of hell, burn me in hell.

If I worship you
from hope of Paradise, bar me from its gates.

But if I worship you
for yourself alone, grant me then the beauty of your Face.

Assalamu Alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatu

The above sig belongs to someone on this forum, and by Allah i had to look at it twice! :hmm:

SubhanAllah, what do u mean by worship you for your self alone? lately i have come across people who think (wrongly) that they should not fear Allah swa or have hope in him:? istakhfurullah.

Anyways to all my sisters and brothers in islam please read what is written bellow inshAllah.

“O you who believe! Devour not usury doubled and multiplied; but fear Allah; that you may (really) prosper. Fear the Fire that is prepared for those who reject faith. And obey Allah and the Messenger, that you may obtain mercy.” (3:130-132)

It is necessary that we should have fear of Allah (Subhanahu wa ta’ala) and, at the same time, must have hope :sunny:in His Mercy and Rewards. We do Da’wah as best as we can, not only out of fear of Him that if we do not do it based on the Qur’an and the Sunnah, Allah (Subhanahu wa ta’ala) will not only reject our deeds but also will punish us. Moreover, we do it the way the Prophet (sallallâhu ‘alayhi wasallam) did it out of hope that by doing righteous deeds, for His Pleasure, He will reward us. We should make this very clear to both the non-practicing Muslims and the non-Muslims. They should have fear in Allah’s punishment and hope in His Rewards. They should be made to understand that fear of Allah (Subhanahu wa ta’ala) gives us hope for ultimate success. It is one of the keys to salvation. Both the Qur’an and the Ahâdîth tell us:

“On the other hand for those who fear their Rabb are gardens with rivers flowing :sunny:therein are they to dwell (for ever) a gift from the presence of Allah and that which is in the presence of Allah is the best (bliss) for the righteous.” (3:198)

I pray that Allah swa guides us to the straight path ameen.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
zanjabeela
02-28-2009, 02:34 AM
:sl:
That quote which is in bro Pomak's sig is from Rabia al Adawiyyah, known as the first female Sufi saint. Her poem was not implying that we are not to have hope in Allah or not to fear Allah...it's a poetic way of urging Muslims to do good for the sake of Allah, not just for the sake of reward or for the sake of avoiding Hellfire. It's urging purity of intentions, and makes you question why you are doing good: just for heaven, just to avoid hell, or purely because good deeds are a command from Allah?

Is the reward extrinsic or intrinsic? I doubt any of us can say we truly do good only for the sake of Allah...but it's a goal to aspire to.

Allahu A'lam.

:w:

youngsister
02-28-2009, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zanjabeela
That quote which is in bro Pomak's sig is from Rabia al Adawiyyah, known as the first female Sufi saint. Her poem was not implying that we are not to have hope in Allah or not to fear Allah...it's a poetic way of urging Muslims to do good for the sake of Allah, not just for the sake of reward or for the sake of avoiding Hellfire. It's urging purity of intentions, and makes you question why you are doing good: just for heaven, just to avoid hell, or purely because good deeds are a command from Allah?

Is the reward extrinsic or intrinsic? I doubt any of us can say we truly do good only for the sake of Allah...but it's a goal to aspire to.

Allahu A'lam.

Huh sufi saint?
Anyways when I read this topic I through that was some hadith and was about to research it as it sounds dodgy, since is a poem from a sufi i am not going to look into it may Allah swt guide her.

Civilsed
02-28-2009, 09:35 PM

Isnt that from an Outlandish song ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
youngsister
02-28-2009, 09:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Jazakallah khair from the link, oh she passed away, mAY Allah swt forgive her.
Regardless who this lady is whether you think she is a saint or not I think the sister who started this topic made a valid point that the above statement which she quoted is misleading, and Allah swt knows best.

doorster
02-28-2009, 09:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude

http://www.islamicboard.com/miscella...adawiyyah.html
Praise be to Allaah.
Raabi’ah al-‘Adawiyyah was an ascetic and humble worshipper, as al-Dhahabi said in al-Siyar (8/241). Abu Sa’eed ibn al-A’raabi reported that he said:
With regard to Raabi’ah al-‘Adawiyyah, people transmitted a great deal of wisdom from her. Sufyaan, Shu’bah and others reported about her accounts which prove that what was said about her believing in incarnation and promoting promiscuity is not true.

Al-Dhahabi said: this is an exaggeration and ignorance. Perhaps those who attribute that to her are themselves promiscuous and believers in incarnation, and are using her to support their own kufr, just as they misuse the hadeeth “I will be his hearing with which he hears.”

There are no reports of miracles etc. on the part of Raabi’ah al-‘Adawiyyah; there are only the reports of her words of asceticism and wisdom, such as when she said to Sufyaan al-Thawri: “You are only a few days, and when one day passes a part of you has gone. Soon, when a part of you have gone all of you will have gone. You know about this, so act upon it.”

Another example of the things she said is: “I seek forgiveness from Allaah for the lack of my sincerity when I say, I seek the forgiveness of Allaah.”

‘Abdah bint Abi Shawwaal, who was one of the best female slaves of Allaah and who used to serve Raabi’ah, said: “Raabi’ah used to pray all night long, and just before dawn, she would take a short nap until dawn came. When she awoke with a start, I would hear her say in a terrified manner, ‘O my soul, how long will you sleep? How long will you nap? Soon you will sleep a sleep from which you will not wake until the Day of Resurrection.’”

She [‘Abdah] said: this was her habit all her life, until she died.

It was said that she lived for eighty years and died in the year 180 AH.
See Shadaraat al-Dhahab, 1/193; Sifat al-Safwah, 4/27) @ (www.islam-qa.com)
jazakAllah khair brother.

Ourra-Tul-'Ain
02-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Assalamu akaikum sis.

format_quote Originally Posted by zanjabeela

Is the reward extrinsic or intrinsic? I doubt any of us can say we truly

do good only for the sake of Allah...but it's a goal to aspire to.

Allahu A'lam.

"She was the first to introduce the idea that God should be loved for God's own sake, not out of fear" BID'A alart!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I WILL WORSHIP ALLAH HOW HE TOLD ME TO WORSHIP HIM. AND HOW THE PROPHET S.A.W TOLD US TO WORSHIP ALLAH S.W.A..... not some sufi lady.

subhanAllah even the 4 ONLY perfected women (perfected by

Allah, Khadija, Asia, Mryan, Fatima) feared Allah S.W.A:smile:

inshAllah please read my first and tell me how that poem/ statement is not misleading :rolleyes:

By the way is everybody on here a sufi......

May Allah guide us all ameen:peace:

Zafran
02-28-2009, 10:37 PM
salaam

not all sufis are bad - most sufis expanded Islam to areas like Turkey, China and many other places. They have a big history in dawah and education.

peace

Ourra-Tul-'Ain
02-28-2009, 10:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
salaam

not all sufis are bad - most sufis expanded Islam to areas like Turkey, China and many other places. They have a big history in dawah and education.

peace
sallam

ok....thanks for informing me of that brother...... still, has nothing to do with my first post.

doorster
02-28-2009, 10:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
salaam

peace
ah yes, but these johnny come latelys like to have someone/thing to bash every now and again (even the people at Islamqa cant find anything bad to say about her)

Ourra-Tul-'Ain
02-28-2009, 10:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
ah yes, but these johnny come latelys like to have someone/thing to bash every now and again (even the man at Islamqa cant find anything bad to say about her)
listen brother...... forget this 'saint' of yours:rolleyes:, i was simply saying that the statment was MISLEADING and INCORRECT

If you think it's ok NOT to have fear of Allah or worship him with the hope of attaining Janna then hey to you your way to me mine. :peace:

May Allah guide us all ameen.

P.S please look at my first post for hadiths and Quran quotations.

Islam is a religion of TRUTH and PROOF

doorster
02-28-2009, 11:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ourra-Tul-'Ain
listen brother...... forget this 'saint' of yours:rolleyes:, i was simply saying that the statment was MISLEADING and INCORRECT

If you think it's ok NOT to have fear of Allah or worship him with the hope of attaining Janna then hey to you your way to me mine. :peace:

May Allah guide us all ameen.

P.S please look at my first post for hadiths and Quran quotations.

Islam is a religion of TRUTH and PROOF
Regarding Hz. Raabi’ah al-‘Adawiyyah, See Shadaraat al-Dhahab, 1/193; Sifat al-Safwah, 4/27) @ (www.islam-qa.com)
forget this 'saint' of yours:rolleyes:
what gave you the idea that I believe in sainthood of any person?

جوري
02-28-2009, 11:05 PM
hmm interesting thread.. I don't believe that rabi3a al'3adywya was a sufist and Allah knows best.. I studied her story back in school when I was a kid and she was originally from Iraq, orphaned at a young age, and had to work for a tyrant man, who as the story goes, heard her one night engrossed in prayer asking Allah swt to free her from his tyranny, and allegedly he saw some light surrounding her so the next day he freed her, where she took refuge in a mosque.. I don't believe that she was a sufist or a saint but she was a poet..
and Allah swt knows best
if you know differently then do share

Ourra-Tul-'Ain
02-28-2009, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
Regarding Hz. Raabi’ah al-‘Adawiyyah, See Shadaraat al-Dhahab, 1/193; Sifat al-Safwah, 4/27) @ (www.islam-qa.com)

Regardless of WHAT?

Your clearly missing the point here....... lets not get emotional.

Regardless o f WHAT?:rolleyes:

جوري
02-28-2009, 11:10 PM
a simple way to find out would be really to compare when the sufist movement took place and where compared to the time of rabi3a al3dwaya who was born in 714 A.C. in the city of Basra. Iraq-- when did sufism start?

doorster
02-28-2009, 11:10 PM
hey to you your way to me mine
wow! only just noticed that after a re-read.
format_quote Originally Posted by Ourra-Tul-'Ain
Originally Posted by doorster

Regardless of WHAT?

Your clearly missing the point here....... lets not get emotional.

Regardless o f WHAT?:rolleyes:
now, you've completely lost me, I do not understand a word of this post, so I'll take your leave before things really get out of hand

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.