/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Advice please!

Abdul Wahid
02-27-2009, 11:06 PM
:sl: brothers and sister.

What I want to ask is not that important but I still want your feedback.

I have (zulfah) hair that is up to my ear lobes in length. I regularly play a lot of sports. I also keep a wooly hat on my head due to weather obviously. The problems that I am encountering are that my hair starts to smell. I have to wash it every time which is something normal but I just wanted to know if you think that I should wear conditioner. I normally shampoo my hair and wear olive oil later on. It's very important to keep my hair clean (so I understand how you sisters feel.) Basically I want to know what brothers and sisters think I should do or what they do if they have similar problems.

Normally in the mornings, I wet my hair and that takes a bit of time. MashaALLAH I've had a zulfah for the past 4 years or so. I've tried different types of oil but it's not the oil thats the problem. So please give me some feedback.

JazakALLAH-heir

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
zanjabeela
02-28-2009, 05:23 AM
:sl:
Not sure why your hair would start to smell, bro...even without using conditioner. The olive oil (although I know you've tried different types of oil) might be contributing a little bit to the odor, though. Try using less of it, or substituting it with an oil that is odorless--almond oil comes to mind. Longer hair definitely benefits from a conditioner...so give it a go. It will make it more manageable, and you might not have to use as much of the oil.

Perhaps try using a hat that allows for more breathability, too. This cap that you're using might not be allowing for enough air circulation, and if you're playing sports, the perspiration might be contributing to the smell issues.

I hope more girls pitch in with advice!

:w:

جوري
02-28-2009, 06:56 AM
what is zulfah hair?

also have you considered it might be your hat that is causing your problem?
Try getting one of breathable material.

I think if you give your head a good suds in the morning messaging your scalp, you shouldn't have a problem
try using this shampoo plus conditioner, they both have a nice clean scent that is not too feminine

and Allah swt knows best

Snowflake
02-28-2009, 07:37 AM
Do you wash your woolly hat as regularly? If the hat is absorbing the sweat from your head, it will make your clean hair smell, unless it's also clean and fresh. Also, wanted to ask if the smell is fishy? There's a medical condition (trimethylaminuria) which can cause a fishy smelling B.O. But honestly, if that's not the case, then try rinsing your hair with a solution of vinegar and water (as a final rinse). Vinegar will also kill any bacteria/bad smells and leave ur hair ultra clean and shiny too. And no! Your hair won't smell of vinegar.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
YusufNoor
02-28-2009, 12:58 PM

shave your head. problem solved!

doorster
02-28-2009, 01:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
what is zulfah hair?

zulfah: long hair; tresses; long locks of hair

Abdul Wahid
02-28-2009, 11:37 PM
JazakALLAH-heir for the replies. My hair does not smell that bad (even though I have said that) but after playing a lot of sport, nearly every other day I get tired of washing it and it is quite time consuming because I have to look after it properly. So maybe what I should have said was what is the best oil, shampoo, conditioner etc. But I think that I have got what I wanted anyway. To tell you the truth it must be me that is paranoid more then anything.

Abdul Wahid
02-28-2009, 11:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zanjabeela
Not sure why your hair would start to smell, bro...even without using conditioner. The olive oil (although I know you've tried different types of oil) might be contributing a little bit to the odor, though. Try using less of it, or substituting it with an oil that is odorless--almond oil comes to mind. Longer hair definitely benefits from a conditioner...so give it a go. It will make it more manageable, and you might not have to use as much of the oil.

Perhaps try using a hat that allows for more breathability, too. This cap that you're using might not be allowing for enough air circulation, and if you're playing sports, the perspiration might be contributing to the smell issues.

I hope more girls pitch in with advice!

JazakALLAH-heir - I reckon the oil is fine, olive oil doesn't smell at all. I agree about the hat issue - anyway InshaALLAH spring/summer is round the corner so I don't have to worry about the wooly hat.

Abdul Wahid
02-28-2009, 11:41 PM
what is zulfah hair?

also have you considered it might be your hat that is causing your problem?
Try getting one of breathable material.

I think if you give your head a good suds in the morning messaging your scalp, you shouldn't have a problem
try using this shampoo plus conditioner, they both have a nice clean scent that is not too feminine

and Allah swt knows best

JazakALLAh-heir for the advice. I'll look into it.

جوري
02-28-2009, 11:41 PM
interesting.. you should always bathe after sport, or you might risk more than an unpleasant hair smell-- you can be plagued by various forms of fungus such as tinea versicolor

also a shower or a bath can be done in as little as 15 mins with a good suds..

something to think about

and Allah swt knows best

Abdul Wahid
02-28-2009, 11:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
Do you wash your woolly hat as regularly? If the hat is absorbing the sweat from your head, it will make your clean hair smell, unless it's also clean and fresh. Also, wanted to ask if the smell is fishy? There's a medical condition (trimethylaminuria) which can cause a fishy smelling B.O. But honestly, if that's not the case, then try rinsing your hair with a solution of vinegar and water (as a final rinse). Vinegar will also kill any bacteria/bad smells and leave ur hair ultra clean and shiny too. And no! Your hair won't smell of vinegar.
I wash my hat every week. Most likely its the sweat. The smell is not fishy, it's just an annoying smell. I am a clean person like all Muslims but I think I am being a bit over the top regarding the smell. I'm not used to my hair smelling like that. JazakALLAH-heir for the advice. I reckon I will stick to using a conditioner.

Abdul Wahid
02-28-2009, 11:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

shave your head. problem solved!

Easily said then done brother. I might shave it in the summer, who knows but I want to keep growing it for now. That's if my dad is not on my case, he tells me to shorten it every time, for good reasons of course.

جوري
02-28-2009, 11:47 PM
I think you have answered your own Q.. you play alot of sports but wash your hat only weekly, which is like taking a shower and then wearing the same sweaty clothes.. maybe it sounds a bit too exhausting but you can buy more hats and do the laundry more often..

Abdul Wahid
02-28-2009, 11:48 PM
interesting.. you should always bathe after sport, or you might risk more than an unpleasant hair smell-- you can be plagued by various forms of fungus such as tinea versicolor

also a shower or a bath can be done in as little as 15 mins with a good suds..

something to think about

and Allah swt knows best

Interesting indeed. Al-Hum-Du-Lillah I am not that bad. Like I said before it's probably just me a bit paranoid. I understand what your saying though.

nms
03-20-2009, 10:39 PM
maybe you should cut your hair, or use professional shampoo and conditioner, also when you condition your hair start a one away form your scalp.

nms
03-20-2009, 10:39 PM
i dont recommend oils if your scalp is oily

Zahida
03-20-2009, 11:50 PM
:sl:Hmmmmmmmmm buy more hats maybe one for everyday of the week!!!! Also try Amla hair oil, smells nice it's what my mum uses and reminds me of her...................:bump1::w:

Snowflake
03-21-2009, 06:45 AM
^agreed..

a fresh hat a day keeps the odours away.. try adding a dash of vinegar to the final rinse. it kills bad smells and bacteria.. so your hair will stay fresh longer but it wont smell of vinegar.

Abdul Wahid
03-22-2009, 12:13 AM

JazakALLAH-hier for all your replies.

I seem to have sorted out my problem Al-Hum-Du-Lillah. The mistake I was making was that when I used to wash my hair, I used to put the oil on straightaway.

Lately I have let my hair dry and then put the oil on and you know what there is no smell now. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.